Video Files on Forum ×

SW for a pc that will dispaly notes?

Tonyd

Hi Guys

New to this hole thing just starting to learn scales and notes. I am looking for a program that I can run on my windows 10 pc, that would display the music and the notes played. I think it would be a big help, in teaching me to make the connection, and get a good foundation Thank you all in advance.

There are a few, each with its own style. Anvil Studio and Noteworthy Composer are 2 freeware programs I use. Also, MuseScore, another freeware program which is very deep, excellent score creation program but also allows for simpler instant note recognition with any midi keyboard and also has a virtual piano keyboard on screen.

Another useful program is called "Midi Sheet Music" but is only a midi player program that shows a grand staff score and has a built-in library of many classic compositions-good for studying and hearing many of these arrangements on screen. . and the tempo can be varied to help break down a particular part.

There are many more on the"Shareware Music Machine" website which I have been referencing for many years-a good database for many music related software programs, freeware and otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use flat.io in a web browser.

The free editor is MuseScore 2 (desktop application).

Cubase translates MIDI to notation.

There is a long list of programs converting MIDI to score and none of them is good.

SS I disagree-not rendering is not always accurate with some due to latency issues, but Noteworthy seems ok to me as long as you are inputting one simple melody at a time. and even the old Band-in-a Box can do this but it is not free. flat.io looks interesting but it is not free and looks like you need an internet connection to use it fully. and \I guess beauty and functionality is in the eye of the beholder. there is always pencil and staff paper.....

I am not a fan of flat.io but it is free. At least for me :)

Composition for different instruments requires deep knowledge of peculiarities of each instrument which we do not experience on the keyboard.

But even on a keyboard the software never knows which hand you play.

I tried to use conversion from MIDI to score many times. Programs start assigning a weird combination of voices (when notes overlay each other). When you want to edit it to put them in the correct position it turns into a nightmare.

Every type of articulation requires its own part.
No thanks! 

In these terms, I cannot recommend anything ( at least for free ).

In the same time, manual writing using the same programs works much better.

A couple of famous editors are Sibelius from AVID, Notion from PreSonus.

These programs are not free.

Sibelius was a big player in the US for the education market, one of the first and is quite advanced. bYears ago I went to an all-day workshop on just this software alone! the pricetag with all he "OPTIONS" came close to 1000 US dollars, ridiculous I never recommended it for my music students since it cost so much. That is why I've spent so much time trying all these other programs. But then, I use "Jazzware" for my sequencer-created as open source years ago in the Linux world, but only has a "piano roll" style notation design. For quickly editing midi files its the simplest I've used, but for displaying notation definitely not for the beginner and maybe not for anyone! And thanks for posting some of your work, very good.  and I still revert to pencil and paper for sketching chord charts, lead sheets and even 2-4 part arrangements. and you need no computer or power! John Lennon I understand used to write like this. He'd carry a little notebook around with him, when he though to fa lyric or melody, he would quickly write it down before it escaped him. Sadly, I fear writing music notation is a skill that will disappear. A shame, as i think the act of creating a piece with your hands on paper still gives some kind of
tactile" feedback lost in computer software. and I can transcribe faster than I can type music notation. But that's me, and I am an old dinosaur.