Video Files on Forum ×

Protective cover for PX560 screen

Jokeyman123

In my infinite it seems craving for something to do-actually because I was nervous I could break this beautiful PX560 touchscreen, I decided to create this little beast.

1690300581_px560screenprotector.jpg.9aa1651ab66ea733676fe1fb54317425.jpg

I dismissed the idea of a simple gorilla glass screen protector as too thin since it might not break but would be flexible and would not provide adequate protection from a heavier object. I also thought clear lexan or acrylic although possibly strong enough to protect it, might still not be enough and if left on would defeat the purpose of the touchscreen. Rigid cardboard, no. A thinner piece of wood could do but I decided on kludging the aluminum bottom cover from an old electric kit I had, about 1/32" thick-cut it to size and covered both sides with soft naugahyde to prevent scratching the LCD frame upon which it rests. Thick enough to protect most heavier objects from breaking the screen and with a little poster putty on each corner underneath, I can stick it on and off without putting anything damaging or sticky onto the PX560. I feel alot better about leaving the PX560 out around wherever I bring it.

Figured i was on a roll so I stitched this together. Might as well get the whole thing covered, the sooner the better. I buy a few yards of naugahyde online in one shot, not too expensive if you buy from the right supplier. I make all my covers this way, much less expensive than the commercially available ones which i don't like-the stretchy cloth covers let the dust through, naugahyde doesn't and is also waterproof if you spill anything, but the cloth covers aren't. Those are my old K300 monitor phones, work well with the Privias. Love this PX560, wish it had a few more control knobs or sliders, ah well there's always the PX5600!

caso PX560 cover.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, NICE cover! I've been looking at getting something for my PX-560. I presently use a piece of cloth draped over it just to keep the dust off. But it's so ugly my wife forces me to remove it when company comes over. Something like this I would not need to remove. But SOME assembly required, as the instructions say. Maybe I should just get a commercial cover IF I can find one that doesn't let the dust through (liquids I am not concerned about). 

PS. Re more knobs and sliders, maybe you can add something like this and mount or rest it on top? It actually seems to be sold under different names, so it's highly likely made in China and hence you can probably find it much cheaper than at the link I provided from Amazon.

However, I don't think it supports NRPN so that would be a little limiting. And I suppose you'll need one of those USB to 5-pin MIDI adapters to connect it because the PX-560 is not set up to be a USB host.

Looks close to the design of the microKontrol which I also took apart, added some new sliders, of course more felt for the keys (!) yes even this one and added nicer control knobs. doesn't fit on top of the PX560, but i will be doing some programming using the Korg software to see what I can access with the 560 and the microkontrol-something I had no success with trying to sccess the PX350. Has midi din so might get somewhere with these 2.

And the covers-I learned leather-making skills from my father-have punches, stitching tools and alot of leather crafting stuff from watching him do it when we were kids. I can make custom sizes for anything with a little time and work. There are many thicknesses of naugahyde available, I favor a thicker type like the material I used here. i don't do this for selling though-it takes quite alot of time which prevents me from doing these except on an as-needed basis. And I am not perfect at it, all is done by hand, no machines. if I sell music equipment though, I always include my custom cover made for it. I've done this with several keyboards and recorders/mixers already. Keeps my chops strong for playing too.

How about the Arturia Beatstep? It's got 16 encoder knobs, 16 pads, 5-pin MIDI (using a provided adapter cable), supports NRPN and is reasonably priced. Looks small enough to maybe fit on the PX-560. Built-in (rudimentary) step sequencer, too, which would bring the combination closer to XW-P1 territory (with a lot more knobs).

Arturia beatstep does look awfully good. 

And in case you or anyone wants to give this cover concept a try, here is a picture of the basic tools I use to make these, minus the naugahyde I purchase on eBooboo by the yard. Don't remember where i got the thread from-it is actually cotton sewing yarn. Probably most places that sell fabrics and supplies have it or again order online. The brown thing with the hole in it fits around my palm, with a steel insert that I use to push the needles through for thicker pieces and also to push the punching tools through, although I use a rawhide mallet to hammer these for thicker leathers. The square mat is a dense hard rubber mat designed specifically for this type of leatherwork. I don't remember where I got it, it's pretty old as you can see. i guess any tough thick piece of vinyl might work, but this material will not dull the rather sharp punching chisels when these hit it. Any surface without a good balance of resilience and rigidity will dull the tools. Wood definitely is not good. Can get away with that for quick small jobs, but for lengthy stretches will definitely mash the chisel points, learned from experience. and the ruler-I trace seamlines along the backing of my material and use as a visual guide to keeping my punches straight. I've tried doing this with mechanical and it just doesn't work as well. A sewing machine doesn't manage the thicker naugahyde too well especially with the thicker cotton threads since there is so much resistance although I imagine someone out there can do it that way, as do the commercial cover and case makers.

cover tools 2.jpg