Video Files on Forum ×

USB MIDI connection to PC worked at 1st, now not working

Doch88

Followed the instructions to a T in the manual to connect my 560 to a windows 10 laptop via the USB jack on the 560 to the USB on my laptop and it worked fine...interfaced fine to my DAW, see the casio driver in my DAW and plugins, etc. able to communicate, no worries. However, now I don't have a MIDI connection between the 560 and my win 10 computer.....in my DAW it still shows it has the Casio recognized but no go connection wise, won't communicate, can't trigger any plugins. Outside of the DAW/directly to one of my plugins, same issue, can't trigger it. For fun, I used my old Roland UM-ONE Midi cable from the midi in/out of the 560 and that works fine to the DAW, individual plugins on my laptop.

Any ideas why this would stop working, using the USB cable for MIDI on the 560? I was trying to find a way to delete perhaps the Casio MIDI driver it installed on my laptop and have it reinstalled but couldn't find it.

This is the second complaint, within a few days, of a USB-MIDI connection in Windows-10, that was working fine, suddenly not working.  The other complaint mentioned that the problem appeared after a recent Windows update, so there may be something to that.  The other complaint is at:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/14964-midi-keyboard-worked-friday-didnt-work-sunday/

If this continues, we may want to start collecting them under a common Win-10 USB-MIDI problem topic under the General Discussion section so they don't get scattered all over the forum, as this would not be a model specific problem.

Hmmm!

It appears that USB-MIDI and other USB problems are a common occurrence after Windows-10 updates.  Just do a Google or Bing search on "USB-MIDI problem after Windows-10 update" and pick the fix of your choice.  It seems that there are any number of favorite fixes to this recurring problem.

• Like 1

Win 10 64 bits (I am not talking about 32 bits).

Windows 10 updates can reset driver to the default stage.

That means you can lose manually installed driver.

You should definitely lose all uncertified drivers after the update.

However, by default Windows 10 requires mandatory certification for all drivers.

Certified drivers will be installed automatically upon connecting your device to USB port first time if no appropriate driver has been already installed.

Casio provides downloadable drivers only up to the version of Windows 8.1 (and that's  how it supposes to be)

On Windows 10 all you need to have is the internet connection when PX is connected to the computer first time. It is possible to trigger the installation by reconnecting PX to USB port.

Of course, Windows must be activated.

I use my PX with Windows 10 and iPad. I have never had problems related to connectivity.

Do you have a reference where you have downloaded the driver from?

Thanks for all the replies.

If this is an OS/update/compatibility issue as mentioned/suggested, these types of problems can be night-mirrors to resolve in my experience. I might dive in and start playing around with it one day but to be honest with my Roland UM-ONE MIDI cable off the midi in/out of the 560 working like a charm for years no matter the keyboard/software/OS updates/this/that/the other thing thrown at it, I'll just stick to using that with the 560...rather spend time making music than playing around with this kind of nonsense....worked in IT for too many years to want to mess up my music making time for something that should work without having to jump through hoops. :)