Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI Keyboard worked Friday, didn't work Sunday

Hello. This is my first post. I am desperate.

I have the a CASIO PX-575R. I previously installed the appropriate drivers and the keyboard was working fine. I've recorded with it multiple times, last using it Friday (7/20/18). I only started using it for MIDI about a month ago. I returned to record more Sunday and...nothing. FL Studio doesn't recognize it. My computer doesn't appear to recognize it. So I did the following things:
Restarting my computer and FL Studio
Uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them
Used a different MIDI cable
Used another MIDI device with the same and different cables (worked fine)

The keyboard turns on fine and works alone (it's a standalone keyboard with external power). It just stopped working as a MIDI device and now the computer doesn't recognize it. It also doesn't come up in the Device Manager.

So tonight I tried to install the drivers on my girlfriend's computer and was given a message stating that would not install on this version of Windows. This is the same version as my computer - Windows 10. So look into it more and I find these:
https://support.casio.com/en/support/osdevicePage.php?cid=008002002
https://support.casio.com/en/support/information.php?cid=008&pid=614

They appear to indicate that the drivers don't work with Windows 10. How!? It just worked last week! Anyways, I know I had a Windows update last week. Here is the website description for the update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338832/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

I greatly, GREATLY appreciate any and all help. I've felt quite deflated. I don't know what's going on.

52 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Try to use Windows compatibility mode.  Search the web for installing drivers in compatibility mode on Windows 10.  

So I'm new to all of this.  Can you elaborate what you mean by searching the web for installing drivers?

Alas, Windows update-almost always caused me  problems. Do you know how to uninstall the Windows update? If you can, try that. if you don't know how, read below.

Did this problem occur after or before you installed the update? if after, it almost certainly has to do with that, everything else being equal.  if you don't know how to run something in compatibility mode, if Windows 10 is similar to 7 and 8 -I only upgraded to 7 for purposes of troubleshooting, place your cursor arrow on the driver install or install program, right click and look for a new window with a list of things you can do. Windows 7 gives you an option called "troubleshoot compatibility-. click on this and you will now see a new window with additional options. These will be "use recommended settings"-click that and Windows will now check your driver installation package and show its recommendation for which compatibility mode it found to work-usually XP with my operating system. Now it will install the driver as if you are running Windows XP, and this might work too.

To uninstall the specific Windows update package, open  "Programs and features" or similar listed in your control panel (again I am assuming Windows 7 and 10 are designed in a similar way) and the update will be listed with your other program installs. Or look in control panel for "windows update" and access that. there will be an option for update history or similar, open that and you should see al the windows updates on your computer. Look for the one you just installed, and remove it. Once you uninstall the specific update, you may need to uninstall and re-install the driver, and again in compatibility mode (or not). This is what my IT professor used to call "plug and pray" operating system.

Upgrading Windows always caused me problems, welcome to the club. Just don't club your Casio, and I too have a PX575, very nice keyboard, compares favorably to the newer ones.

• Like 1

We now have a second complaint similar to this, so there may be something to a Windows update:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/14988-usb-midi-connection-to-pc-worked-at-1st-now-not-working/&tab=comments#comment-45802

If this continues, we may want to start collecting them under a common Win-10 USB-MIDI problem topic under the General Discussion section so they don't get scattered all over the forum, as this would not be a model specific problem.

Hmmm!

It appears that USB-MIDI and other USB problems are a common occurrence after Windows-10 updates.  Just do a Google or Bing search on "USB-MIDI problem after Windows-10 update" and pick the fix of your choice.  It seems that there are any number of favorite fixes to this recurring problem.

• Like 1

This is most likely a problem of the software FL-Studio of any other. (At the worst, you will need to configure it again.)

You do not need to reinstall drivers (I am pretty sure). Especially on Windows 10.

You can quickly check whether your computer sees the keyboard by using flat.io (try to configure MIDI).

It will take seconds.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:16 AM, tnicoson said:

Hmmm!

It appears that USB-MIDI and other USB problems are a common occurrence after Windows-10 updates.  Just do a Google or Bing search on "USB-MIDI problem after Windows-10 update" and pick the fix of your choice.  It seems that there are any number of favorite fixes to this recurring problem.

This seems interesting.  I will look into it.  Thanks for the research.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:10 AM, sslyutov said:

This is most likely a problem of the software FL-Studio of any other. (At the worst, you will need to configure it again.)

You do not need to reinstall drivers (I am pretty sure). Especially on Windows 10.

You can quickly check whether your computer sees the keyboard by using flat.io (try to configure MIDI).

It will take seconds.

Unfortunately my computer doesn't recognize the MIDI device itself, let alone FL Studio.  There are no other problems with MIDI recognition.

Try installing the data editor for the PX575 from here.

https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/

I use it all the time. I have it working with my PX575 but I've only updated to Windows 7. It may still work with Windows 10. It is called IDES 4. I've only been able to find it on the Casio European website.....

Here is a link to the user guide for the data management system which you might need as all its features are not obvious.

https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/before.html

Great software for the PX575 I think-gives you the ability to create and load samples and anything else the PX can do. Plus has an actual virtual organ drawbar front-end very cool IMO. If the PX575 handshakes with the data manager/editor here, you know the problem is with FL studio. If FL Studio is installing its own drivers, it may clash with Windows drivers and not work at all. I speak from experience. Windows doesn't like other people's drivers sometimes, it wants you to use its own, even if those don't work. You could also try installing another simple midi editor and see if the PX575 is recognized with that. there are many freeware midi editors available all over the web, I always check out the "shareware music machine" which has been around for years. Hope this helps solve the problem.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

Can you connect PX to any other device?

There are plenty apps iOS or Android which work with MIDI through USB.

Do you use any USB hub or connect directly to USB port.

Try another port.

How do you know the computer does not see MIDI device (device manager)?

Did you try flat.io?.

10 hours ago, sslyutov said:

Can you connect PX to any other device?

There are plenty apps iOS or Android which work with MIDI through USB.

Do you use any USB hub or connect directly to USB port.

Try another port.

How do you know the computer does not see MIDI device (device manager)?

Did you try flat.io?.

I am having a hard time finding a device to connect it to.  If I use my phone (as I think you are suggesting) it would require some hardware I probably don't have.  My gf is out of town but when she gets back I can try it on her tablet.

I connect directly to the USB port.  I've tried all three ports.  The port works fine for other MIDI devices.

I believe my computer doesn't recognize it because I I don't see it come in the Device Manager or through MIDI-OX.  To be fair I just downloaded MIDI-OX and I don't really know what I'm doing.

11 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Try installing the data editor for the PX575 from here.

https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/

I use it all the time. I have it working with my PX575 but I've only updated to Windows 7. It may still work with Windows 10. It is called IDES 4. I've only been able to find it on the Casio European website.....

Here is a link to the user guide for the data management system which you might need as all its features are not obvious.

https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/before.html

Great software for the PX575 I think-gives you the ability to create and load samples and anything else the PX can do. Plus has an actual virtual organ drawbar front-end very cool IMO. If the PX575 handshakes with the data manager/editor here, you know the problem is with FL studio. If FL Studio is installing its own drivers, it may clash with Windows drivers and not work at all. I speak from experience. Windows doesn't like other people's drivers sometimes, it wants you to use its own, even if those don't work. You could also try installing another simple midi editor and see if the PX575 is recognized with that. there are many freeware midi editors available all over the web, I always check out the "shareware music machine" which has been around for years. Hope this helps solve the problem.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

I have a few things I want to try before adding any more things to the list but I'll look into this if I don't have success.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:16 AM, tnicoson said:

Hmmm!

I've had a lot of hope for this suggestion but I'm not finding solutions.  I've looked at many pages and they generally suggest the same things.  When I download a software that installs new drivers the program 1. Requires I purchase the software or 2. Updates things that are clearly unrelated, like the airplane mode of my laptop.

Is it fair to offer a $20 "bounty" to a person that can help me with this?

21 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

I was able to install this on an up to date Windows 10 64 bit with no problem.  

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72

Right.  I can install it (couldn't install it on my girlfriend's computer.  Haven't figured that out yet) on my computer just fine.  Doesn't do anything for my keyboard anymore.  Again, the keyboard used to work and now it doesn't.  I'm uninstalled and reinstalled the driver at least 4 times.