Video Files on Forum ×

Save tone changes in to a registration?

Cercle

Hi again.

I'm making my first registration of four tones with the blue monster.

I change the coarse in the mixer section to +5 (thanks Brad), add an effect (phaser) to one of the tones and a little bit release (+15)

I go to the main screen and press Store plus registration number. Okay. Registration is saved.

But when I come back to this registration, only the coarse remeans. No more effect and release.

What I'm doing wrong?

Brad sorry, not Bart.

Strange that only a simple tweaking of the release makes you to have to save a entire new tone before to save the registration.

I do not remember very well but, in the PX-5S is not like that, right?

So I have to make 4 new user tones for every new registration?....And I see for example, only 10 user memory slots to save a synth sound????

3 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

☺️  It's ok.

Yes, PX-5S does save tone edits in stage settings.  As far as MZX user tones, each category has a set of user slots, 650 total.   

This is terrible....If I had know this, I did not buy the MZ-X500.

I never had to have sold the PX-5s :(

Thanks Brad.

46 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Cercle, registrations will save your user tones if you first save the user tones to tone storage.  It's an extra step, but it's virtually the same result as the PX-5S.  

The result is the same yes, but after a lot of extra work and waste of time.

And yes, the MZ has about 650 memory slots, but these are subdivided in categories! You can only save 10 piano sounds, 10 synth sounds, enz.. Almost unuseable user tone memory. And yes, you can still save in the usb pendrive...I know....but the device itselfs has a jurassic workflow. 

5 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

If you tweaked a piano for instance, it's already done for use in another registration.  No need to make another one for another registration.

Fortunately, because there are only 10 memory slots for piano sounds...

7 hours ago, Cercle said:

yes, the MZ has about 650 memory slots, but these are subdivided in categories! You can only save 10 piano sounds, 10 synth sounds, enz.. Almost unuseable user tone memory.

I was hoping there was something yet for me to discover here. The PX560 has a nice trick where you can pretty much save your users sounds anywhere (as long as you keep standard and hexlayer tones segregated, IIRC). So I created a single screen with, for example, my favorite Piano, Rhodes, Wurli, string, brass, vibes, flute, and clav sounds. Easy, fast switching. There is no way to do this on the MZ, right? Registrations comes close (I can create a set of 8 registrations that consist of nothing but those 8 sounds), or I think I can save all 8 sounds within a single registration and switch among them using the solo buttons on the mixer screens (4 at a time), but the advantage of saving them on a screen of user tones is that they can easily be split-and-layered with each other as you play, something I don't think you can do if you'e accessing the sounds via registrations. Any hints for best possible workarounds? I guess I could create a chart and do number pad entry, but that's more cumbersome than a single press in a sound-name. (And actually, I had 24 sounds, grouped on to 3 adjacent pages of 8!)

Something else for my wish list... I wish I could move sounds around within their categories, so that my favorite string sounds come up at the top of the strings list, etc. Any way to accomplish anything like this?

ETA: Brad answered my related query in the facebook group... "Press and hold the tone category button to shortcut to user tones."  Very helpful! So if you move (even unchanged) copies of your favorite sounds in a group to User locations, you can get to them more quickly this way (though they will still have to remain in their own categories).

and p.s. -- while using Solo to switch among 16 favorite sounds from the Mixer screen might be a useful trick sometimes, unlike the other modes, sounds will cut off when you switch from one to the other.

Edited by anotherscott

I like the release feature and I just discovered a trick.

By editing the modulation wheel or the K buttons, you will get release of whatever midi cc you want in your registration, without altering the tones. This means, without to have to save a new tone.

Ok. Release for all 4 tones....but, it's beter than nothing.

Cheers.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, anotherscott said:

I was hoping there was something yet for me to discover here. The PX560 has a nice trick where you can pretty much save your users sounds anywhere (as long as you keep standard and hexlayer tones segregated, IIRC). So I created a single screen with, for example, my favorite Piano, Rhodes, Wurli, string, brass, vibes, flute, and clav sounds. Easy, fast switching. There is no way to do this on the MZ, right? 

It turns out that the MZ does this trick too! As Brad said in the thread at http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/12381-need-midi-issue-solved-if-possible/

"If tones are saved to usb, they can be loaded into any user category. So you can combine everything into one area. "

Cool!

35 minutes ago, anotherscott said:

It turns out that the MZ does this trick too! As Brad said in the thread at http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/12381-need-midi-issue-solved-if-possible/

"If tones are saved to usb, they can be loaded into any user category. So you can combine everything into one area. "

Cool!

Actually, it only works for ZTN files on the MZ.  ZLT, ZPF and ZDR require the proper category.  

Oh, I think that's basically the same as the PX560 then... you could mix and match all your regular tones in one category, except hexlayers had to go in their own category.  I guess a bit more problematic in the MZ-X500 because there are even more than just the two categories. An unfortunate limitation, but might still be pretty useful.

• 2 months later...

To save from posting a new thread - what's the difference between a registration and user tone?  Both got mentioned here.  I come from a CTK background (mainly CTK-601), where synthesiser mode could save attack, delay etc into user tones.  Think it had 16 or 32 user tones, but I'm not familiar with registrations in this context.

I do seem to remember something called 'registration memory' though, which was to do with the general set-up of the keyboard.  Like it remembers your last settings or you want to recall a setting for a particular piece of music.