Video Files on Forum ×

SFZ synth sound

jimmyjames

I am trying to create the synth sound for Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love".  The part is gently SFZ (punch to start with an almost immediate reduction in volume that then increases) and it does it in a fairly short amount of time (within a second or so).  I worked with hex layer filter and amp envelopes for a couple hours last night and just couldn't come up with a way to get it to do this smoothly.  Seems like as soon as I pulled in the time on the envelopes too far, the volume increase would just go from slow to suddenly popping back up.   Any suggestions?

Have you tried starting with something already made?  I think there are some SFZ sounds in the downloads section.   The envelopes can do it, they just need to the numbers set for a smooth ramp up and down.  Check the different stages of the envelopes and make sure everything has a time value set, like decay time, etc..

Thanks Brad...yes tried SFZ sound in downloads.  The crescendo for the ones I tried is too slow for the RP sound and when I tried to tighten up the times it just starts to pop from level to level.  I'm making some progress starting from scratch but tough to nail it across the sound...probably being too picky.  

You need to change the filter envelope. Sounds like that to me-the keyboard player is opening the filter envelope very quickly for the first chord-might be layered-a synth brass and sawtooth. A common trick way back when. Like pulling out stops with a Hammond. The rest of  the comping sounds like a wide open sawtooth layered with  synth brass. Once you can control cutoff, can fine tune this sound anyway.

Not sure on the PX5s but on the PX560-I set CC 74 (cutoff) to one of my control knobs to open and close the filter-or could do the same assigned to an expression pedal. I think the PX5s can't do that, so I guess a slider or knob on the PX5s could do the same as the PX560. Brad, is this right? I tried it with a sawtooth tone layered with a synth brass tone and opened the attack this way, sounds pretty close at least to me. One of my all-time favorite MTV videos and Robert Palmer, wonderful. Too sad he left us too early. Had quite a career even before these great videos and hits. Good music takes time.....

27 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I think the PX5s can't do that, so I guess a slider or knob on the PX5s could do the same as the PX560. Brad, is this right?

Actually the PX-5S can trigger envelopes that can open/close filters from a switch pedal, plus all the sliders and knobs could be programmed for it too.  

OK, I stick by my original solution then for the PX5s, I'm pretty sure this opening chord is using a short filter sweep, which would enable the sound to be loud enough even on the attack, without taking out the initial sound with the amp envelope. Again, just my opinion. And again, thanks to you Brad.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I posted my work to date in the downloads.  Have rehearsal Saturday so need to stop programming and start learning parts but may come back to it after as I'm not totally happy with it.   Brad...the pedal idea is good...may try it for this...works great for the clav wah.  I had created a stage setting for intro sound for Coldplay's Sky Full of Stars a long time ago that used the pedal to create a very slow filter sweep at my discretion....that's where it works best...when you need the sweep at your discretion at irregular intervals....especially when both of your hands are busy on the keys.  Really clever feature especially in the absence of an expression pedal.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...