Video Files on Forum ×

Use USB to move music to multiple keyboards

Mandmsldy

I have just bought 3 of the Privia 350s to work from my choir room, my home, and a sanctuary.  I want to record to the piano at my home and be able to use the usb port to transport the work from piano to piano.  They are all the same model purchased at the same time.  I can get a recording on the piano, use the sequencer tracks.  I formatted the usb to FAT32.  Then I did the formatting on the keyboard suggested by the manual.  I used the audio recorder button and put it on Track 1. I saved as SMF files.  When I removed the usb and plugged it into my computer, I can pull up and play the files.  However, when I put it back into the piano...it says that there are no media files.  HELP!  

Edited by Mandmsldy
additional information

I recorded a piece to the instrument. Formatted a USB. Then followed instructions to move to usb using audio recorder saved as SMF . I put my usb into my computer where it shows files and when I click on them, they play back using midi. When I take it to any of the keyboards to load it says there is no data to load. My computer can still see it. Should I insert usb before making the initial recordings? Should I use the default Casio file instead of smf? I want to record at home; transport recording to piano at church (20 miles away). And, I want to play back on the piano so I can add extra at the moment of performance. 

To clarify, audio recorder recordings cannot be saved as SMF.  SMF is only possible by saving the song sequencer recordings themselves as an SMF format.  I'm not sure why your keyboard would not see the midi files unless they were no longer in the proper folder on the thumb drive.  Double check that nothing got moved accidentally.  I would also try using the Casio format instead.   

Brad, stepping in here..

There are 2 different recorders in the PX350,  your usb drive is cross-compatible with any or all 3 PX350s.

You either record your performances with the audio recorder, which will save your recording as a standard Microsft Windows .wav (audio/sound) file. This will be labeled as tak_.wav with a number in the label depending upon how many audio recordings you have saved. f you record using the "audio" rather than the "song" recorder-your thumb drive is properly "mounted" your audio recorder will automatically store that file in a folder labeled  "audio" see page 47-48 in the manual. This folder is automatically created on your thumb drive as soon as you record your first recording using the "audio" recorder, not the "song" recorder, and can be accessed and played on any Windows computer that can play an audio .wav file. The audio recorder can only record one complete track, but this can be a completed audio .wav file either loaded from your computer onto the thumb drive or one you have created by performing it yourself on the PX350 using the audio recorder, not the "song" recorder.

The other type of recording is accomplished using the multi-track midi (song) recorder which is not recording a .wav file, it is recording your performance as digital data in the form of a Casio song file labeled  as CSR see page 47 in the manual.....Using the song recorder, there can be a total of 17 separate tracks-a multitrack midi file. If you study the chart on page 56 you will see the folders described there which should show up as such after the drive is formatted with the PX350, if you connect the drive to your computer these folders should be there. The folder labeled musiclib will contain any .mid or Casio "song"-not audio(wav) files. Bear with me, unfortunately all this is the rather complex process of understanding how the audio and midi recorders function. It takes quite a few button pushes to control each recorder separately. The manual is rather confusing describing all this, I hope i am doing better.

Understand, the Casio manual describes a "user song" and  "recorder' song seperately, but these are actually both forms of midi files, data only and not an audio .wav file  The other confusing thing is that you can record a multitrack midi "song recorder' song, and once done, then record this entire up to 17-track performance, along with you playing live along with this, in the audio recorder, simply by playing the midi file from the the PX350 after arming the audio recorder to record using that!  And, you do not need to save a midi file as an SMF (mid) file to be able to play on any PX350. if you want to play it as a .mid file on the computer though, there is an additional step in the saving process in the PX350 to save it specifically as a .mid file instead of the automatically created .CSR Casio song recorder file which will not paly in a computer, only can be played from the Casio PX350.

Without getting further complicated-and i will say it took me quite awhile to sort out the exact sequence of button pushes to record or play one or the other, recordings made with either one will show up in your thumb drive and can be played on any PX350...if you keep the distinction between the 2 recorders clear. I have many posts here about the PX350, I still have mine and use it every day-holds up well, but the recorders are confusing. My other posts may clarify things if this post doesn't help. Get back here if you are still having trouble.

Bless you for your detailed description! I have used a simpler Casio WK model for years and transferred the smart cards. But it is now 14 years old. Trying something “new” and just found I have hit a wall making sure I have every button pushed. You may hear from me again! 

Just to be clear, I can record on the song recorder to get my tracks. Then pull up that song for audio recorder and if I play along, I will get the whole thing in audio recorder? Then that will be in a file on my thumb drive that should be readable on my other keyboards? 

Thanks,