Video Files on Forum ×

Begun it has prepare for G.A.S

XW-Addict

Sneak preview , reveals and rumors it has begun I was looking forward to it,

And new it would begin after summer vacation around this time of year and it has. 

Korg Entertainer , Yamaha's MODX, Behringer 909 what more to come I love it and am drooling😋 here *sorry*.

But I'm fired up right now to see what more to come 😤 its new gear season and I've got my gear spotting hat on.

Let me guess.

MOFX - F stands from flash (proprietary additional memory card 512MB ).  

MODX - would be probably Disk.

Not impressed :( 

Of course, DX stands for DX  ;) 

Full name MODX7 - totally right approach - a remake of DX7 legendary and still super powerful. (DX7 used cartridges)

This time it will have the new screen with Montage kind of UI interface (it is beautiful).

I would buy the old DX7 if would not have Montage. :)

MODX comes with a motion sequencer! (This what DX7 did not have)

Besides of all cool stuff, I assume MODX7 will allow using only four channels/parts simultaneously. This is a pretty common approach for Yamaha.
FM Syntesisers at the same time can create very sophisticated sound per line.
Also, FM part consists of 8 operators (8 individual sound sources) so there is still some room for editing.

I expect - with MODX you should be able to load external individual sound for any key in each operator.

It also includes a limited number of scenes, only 4 (similar to arranger buttons).

Behringer 909 - sounds like a drum machine. We have so many.

Not impressed :)

Korg Entertainer - entry-level arranger, nothing special. Not interested ;)

• Like 1

MODX I didn't expect that seems yamaha truly has chosen a road plan ahead and its not motif. 

However the synth engine from Montage and MODX are interesting challenging not so on the sound

design which was carried by fans of modular synth and pre motif patches. 

Its power is really SSS and Motion synth which can carry out a synthesis form of morphing in and out several

at once soundscape of different magnitude imagine this like siting in middle  of a surround speaker where the

sound hoops back front left to right down and above.  This hasn't been demonstrated well for such powerful

synth engine with a knack for alien sounds as been said it's purpose to challenge new sonic venture. 

Another 909 yes but a 909 non the less, although I wasn't so much impressed with the model D. 

The entertainer try's to scoop in to the $400 range market it probably means no korg mini keys anymore :D

I'm very impressed with Omnisphere latest update and might consider to look into it. 

I can be wrong. The most recent updates say there is no motion in MODX. Will see.

Also, it is expected to have 8 scenes, not 4 (at least I can see only 4 scenes buttons)

MO stands for Motif.  MOX, MOFX, Motif they all have the same engine as well as Montage.

There is a catch in SSS - it does work with performances but it does not work with Live sets.

Also, SSS disabled when you switch to a performance with autostart for any kind of sequencers such as MS or arpeggiator.

There is another important feature missed from all listed here synthesizers - it is the envelop follower.

The Montage has it.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, sslyutov said:

Behringer 909 - sounds like a drum machine. We have so many.

Not impressed :)

True, but it might be Behringer making a fully analogue affordable replica of Roland's classic TR909 drum machine, that if you can find an original working Roland unit for sale it would cost you $$$$. 

Roland offer VA versions of most of their vintage gear, but have consistently ignored calls for fully analogue re-issues of their classic vintage models. Leaving the likes of Korg and Behringer to clean up that end of the market.

Ironically, the only fully analogue synth module that Roland offer is part of their boutique range. And it's a clone of the MiniMoog, not even one of their own designs!

Come on Roland, re-issue that Jupiter 8 before someone else does...

Roland has plenty of sequencers and sound modules. With respect to Integra 7 existence, there is a 0% probability of appearance  Jupiter 8  in the form as it was.

Roland has a long line of cool systems like System 1m. JD-XA,  System 500 and many more. I know that Roland keeps everything they have even built available in some form. I was very impressed when I discovered that.  I remember somebody wanted a keytar. There one - AX-Edge.

3 hours ago, Chas said:

True, but it might be Behringer making a fully analogue affordable replica of Roland's classic TR909 drum machine, that if you can find an original working Roland unit for sale it would cost you $$$$. 

Roland offer VA versions of most of their vintage gear, but have consistently ignored calls for fully analogue re-issues of their classic vintage models. Leaving the likes of Korg and Behringer to clean up that end of the market.

Ironically, the only fully analogue synth module that Roland offer is part of their boutique range. And it's a clone of the MiniMoog, not even one of their own designs!

Come on Roland, re-issue that Jupiter 8 before someone else does...

Can only guess Behringer also might give that, If good I would be interested.  

1 hour ago, sslyutov said:

Roland has plenty of sequencers and sound modules. With respect to Integra 7 existence, there is a 0% probability of appearance  Jupiter 8  in the form as it was.

Roland has a long line of cool systems like System 1m. JD-XA,  System 500 and many more. I know that Roland keeps everything they have even built available in some form. I was very impressed when I discovered that.  I remember somebody wanted a keytar. There one - AX-Edge.

Phuck yeah and that AX-Edge looks pretty good its an eye catcher. Roland will make me happy if they could make a V Synth XT/ GT boutique I would in an instant just like that. 

I don't know-I'm finding plenty to keep me happy with the Casio stuff. I've been there since we were attaching ring modulators, phasers and echoplexes to our electric pianos and Farfisa was a big player-look the creative aspects available now and how this all has evolved even in the last 20 years. And people still play pianos and read books. Just listen to Return to Forever from way back when Corea and others already had a handle on much of this technology. listen to Romantic Warrior-still blows me away along with much of his other work.

if you are creative, you can make a slide whistle sound interesting. Look up George Crumb-the most beautiful piece I ever heard was for 2 grand pianos, 2 slide whistles and percussion called "Music for a Summer Evening" I heard live-my mentor Ray DesRoches was one of the percussionists which is how I got into hear it up close-almost 50 years later I can still remember this piece. I sit at my keyboards and think-there is so much that can be said-but with so much less than I have. That is the challenge now-with the infinite possibilities for sound and music construction-the technology can be overwhelming. Just my opinion. don't get me wrong, I'm seduced by all this-I own or have owned Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Casio, Moog, Sequential, Ensoniq even Crumar etc. over the years and often long for the simplicity-the challenge of creating something beautiful with the simplest of sounds. Not easy to do when one literally has thousands of sounds and variations to choose, and an almost infinite way of playing them.  Whew!

Well yes, glad you see that. In the hands of a master, a slide whistle presents interesting micro and atonal possibilities. And then there is the grand piano...and the amazing variety of percussion instruments-now we have these on our keyboards but before that, we actually had to play gamelans, crotales, brake drums and many other home-brew instruments. I recall the performers at one point in this piece played 2 slide whistles into 2 grand pianos (a duet with harmonies) while the pianists were holding various chords-and amplified you  heard the amazing sonorities created by the harmonic interactions between the slide whistles and the piano strings, what a beautiful sound. if this interests you SS, look up Harry Partch.  if you can, try to find a version online of Crumb's works you can listen to. I have the original 33 1/3 vinyl record I found in a used record bin, years after I heard this since this music never became popular and wasn't meant to. This was the beginning of the serious avante-garde music in the US in the 60s. Many of the Europeans had preceded this-Berio, Stockhausen, Berg, Webern to name a few but in the US it took awhile to get this music performed and supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makrokosmos#Volume_I

• Like 1

SSluytov-A little off topic, but if you wish to find some interesting piano pieces to practice-get ahold of the Bela Bartok Microkosmos Suites booklets for piano if you can. These come in several progressive volumes from simpler single melodies to 2-part pieces that become more complex and difficult as you progress through the series-and are somewhat different from traditional piano methods in that these are based on Hungarian and other ethnic folk tunes, and also work you through some of the more exotic modal scales. You might find these interesting to practice. I've been studying these for quite awhile and still play through many of them-challenging to the concept of melody too since these go beyond simple major-minor melodies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

SSluytov-A little off topic, but if you wish to find some interesting piano pieces to practice-get ahold of the Bela Bartok Microkosmos Suites booklets for piano if you can. These come in several progressive volumes from simpler single melodies to 2-part pieces that become more complex and difficult as you progress through the series-and are somewhat different from traditional piano methods in that these are based on Hungarian and other ethnic folk tunes, and also work you through some of the more exotic modal scales. You might find these interesting to practice. I've been studying these for quite awhile and still play through many of them-challenging to the concept of melody too since these go beyond simple major-minor melodies.

I'm going to jump into this discussion mostly because since my two years of lesson I'm going the self taught way 

again and what I notice is the broad knowledge you guy's have for interesting practice pieces, I've highlighted 

interesting because it's none of the regular practice part for piano that teaches progression in major minor style. 

The basic are important for learning piano I've concur plus the choice to go regular , classic or jazz but this the thing

I love piano and keyboard playing I'm in the half of things and want the piano-ish part of things think La Campanella

Mendelssohn to Keith Emerson and Herbie Hancock one of the many interesting flavors. 

I want those instantly but it takes a few years to find them and learn them when you're learning the basic type of lesson.

So dropping course of the basic way and choosing the latter turning that, Into another basic lesson together that pretty

hard to do. Growing through the course with playing technique's while playing the most interesting style's. 

I'm using soundwise on the ipad and occasionally Chordana there are more apps but I would love to invent a basic course 

app that will let you have play the style you favor on the way up. 

I am not that good to listen Microkosmos or Kurehin.

Maybe sometime later I will be ready.
I have a feeling that Kurehin(pop-mechanica), for instance, was not sure where to go.
He could compose great classical music, but virtually did nothing in that field.
He wanted to invent.
I prefer listening of something more pop, like adagios.(that is an example of easy listening music)

Talking about learning  - prefer to deal with a course designed for many years of study(100% confident - I do not have any idea what to do first and what next ).

I still feel that every lesson pushes me in some direction (gradually). 

For home practice, I did not find anything better than pianomarver.