Video Files on Forum ×

Casio PX 160 MIDI possibilities

Elly

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a digital piano that is not too expensive, and I found the Casio PX 160 which has a lot of positive reviews.
I just have one question about the MIDI possibilities (I'm pretty new to the MIDI concept so I'm sorry if I ask dumb questions):

I saw some video's online showing that you can create MIDI recording files with the MIDI USB-connection and use these files with other MIDI software or hardware.
My question: will I be able to use the digital piano to for example create sheet music in MuseScore? And second question, can I link the piano to some software like KeyScape to extend the choice of sounds? I mean something like they did over here: 

Or do you guys have suggestions on other digital keyboards that do have these options if this one hasn't?

Thanks a bunch already!

• 1 month later...

I used to do a lot of midi recording/composing. I used a PX-160 for playing sequenced midi piano parts.  Worked fine (I used a high end piano software sample library in Kontakt, but I am not sure which one (Sampletekk Black Grande, I think)).

I think you may need to decide if you want a weighted keyboard (e.g., playing piano parts) as a controller or a non-weighted synth type keyboard (maybe controlling other type of sounds/instruments).

Also, if you are sending controller messages (filters, etc). you may (maybe in addition) an (likely) inexpensive midi controller (may not include any sounds) with more controllable knobs.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is complex - Yes and No ;)

You can convert MIDI to score with MuseScore.

However, most likely you will have to spend a lot of time editing such notation.

There are many reasons why. 

The obvious one (if we talk about piano) There is no software which knows for a fact which hand is playing what.

Another issue - everything must be quantized. (Automatic quantization during recording is not a good solution).  The length must be aligned.  Otherwise, you will get very unreadable notation.

In the case of an overlay, you may need to reassign voices manually.

There is a lot of work has to be done in order to get correct notation. 

You definitely have to try it yourself to get a taste of it.

I am porting my music to notation manually (Regardless the fact it is already recorded as a MIDI sequence.).

• 1 year later...