Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X3000 should I keep it or go for the CT-X5000?

vbdx66

Hi guys,

Got the CT-X3000 last Thursday and it is really great fun. I really like the sounds and rhythms. The sound is crisp and clear even at low volume (at home I play it with the volume knob at half course).

I can still send it back and get a refund, so I was wondering if I should keep it or rather upgrade to the CT-X5000.

In this view I have one question: since there is no MOD button on the 3k, can the expression pedal be used to replace it, for instance to activate the Leslie effect on an organ?

Also, has someone tried out both keyboards and if this is the case, do you think that the upgrade is really worth it? In particular, do the Category buttons for the tones and rhythms really help and is is really a big issue that a LED indicates which Reg button is activated on the 5k?

All views are very welcome.

Thanks.

Vinciane

• 11 months later...

It depends on how portable you need.  The CT-x 5000 won't take batteries.  I bought the 3000 because I would be able to play it if the power went out.  We get some summers with Temps like 111 stuff like that.  It has almost all the features found in the 5000.  I probably could write a modulation part that would take a modulation wheel even though neither the 3000 or 5000 have a modulation wheel.  6 watts is plenty for your room.  If you play in a band  you might need the 30 watt, or if you sing?  Stuff like that is what I would base my decision on.   The Arturia vst's put a modulation wheel on their synths.   However Omnisphere doesn't!  Which kind of pisses me off.  My controllers have never had that.  Anyways, I noticed this article is old, but since I responded to it, I thought I would finish my thoughts.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Brad Saucier... What do u mean by expression only? What exactly are expressions?

See! I don't have any experience with any keyboard whatsoever right now.... But I intend to have one and Casio CT-X9000IN is what I decided for ...so I have gone through its manual 'lil bit in order to aquaint myself with musical jargons and instrument itself so that I wont be blank when I finally go to local store to get one. Which I am gonna do shortly. Just taking a while ... I mean getting acquainted with these keyboards things on youtube and manuals sanuals. 

Actually in manuals they also have just one line... that u set as a expression pedal. But details are not there. 

Now what I understand through common sense is sustain pedal is kinda on/off switch type... where u just have one condition any time... either on or off. But expression pedal is used for things like vol control or effect control... not written there in manual ... but I think that's what it does... seeing some videos about it on youtube. Basically what it differs with sustain pedal is... it sends variable resistance value instead of just on/off condition in case of sustain pedal. That's what it got ... variable resistor inside.. No? ... Anyway which can be used as a hint for some variable parameter... I mean which has a range like from 0-127 or something like that. Its not sustain pedal kinda thing which just outputs 0 or 1 condition i.e. on/off.

I mean that's what my general intelligence tells me. Rest u kinda seems like a expert here and more u had one or have experience with that... I am just theoretical right now u c. Never had a real instrument ... neither do manual says anything clearly ... so forgive me if I am wrong here. But I just wanna know here is then what expression pedal does than ... what it controls actually? What expressions? :)

Expression basically just means volume control.  Volume is the only thing the expression pedal input will control on the CT-X series.  It's called expression because it controls volume level within the confines of other volume settings on the keyboard.  You can control expression of a single tone, lowering the volume of the tone and raising it, without affecting other sounds or going beyond the volume level set by the mixer.