Video Files on Forum ×

Russian Dance - (piano marvel level 5)

Ah, it is a Yamaha Montage! Looks like a pretty impressive workstation. Of course it isn't inexpensive. Must be a beauty to work with, Yamaha is always quality. Always liked the Russian folk music and composers.  Check out the Microkosmos by Bartok-graded books from simple one-handed pieces that work up to much more difficult 2 and 4-hand (for 2 players if you know someone to work on duets with you). And in very interesting modal keys and time signatures. Based much of his work on Hungarian and Gypsy folk songs. I'll try to post some of his pieces whn I get a bit more free time, hopefully soon.

• Like 1

I have tried the montage and the scaled down version, the MODX8 at a synthesizer exhibition some weeks ago. 

No Casio stand unfortunately. 

Anyway Mikrokosmo is a really interesting book especially for learning piano, you can easily "cheat" if you buy a CD and listen how the pieces should come.... 

• Like 1

I have the complete CD collection. Very good for learning some of the lesser used folk songs and modal scales, such as so-called Gypsy modes, Locrian and some rather dissonant 2-voice harmonies. Plus, there are pretty challenging fingerings which are usually not typical for Western-European based piano technique-many very good 5-finger pieces (in closed 5-finger positions in other words) which I found very challenging, at the beginner level and beyond. Thanks for your responses and posts.

• Like 1

Here is the complete set on Amazon-didn't realize these became so expensive. you can buy individual books too. If you are interested, I might be able to scan and copy a page or so and  attach for you here. I think you might like these, from a musical point of view-not your typical classical pieces. I bet someone might even have posted some of these performances on Youtube already.

https://www.amazon.com/Mikrokosmos-Piano-Pink-Volumes-1-6/dp/B002OKIK60/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543171357&sr=8-3&keywords=mikrokosmos+bartok

This is the complete CD collection, which I use for study or just listening. This is the edition I have, I think it might be the only one. Not many people ever recorded these.

https://www.amazon.com/Bela-Bartok-Mikrokosmos/dp/B0000028MQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1543171608&sr=8-6&keywords=mikrokosmos+cds

• Like 1

Level 5 seems pretty easy, even I could manage that...well, maybe not. It will be interesting to watch you climb the levels, Sergey (I hope I spelled your name correct!).

By the way, I see there's a microphone there. Somebody in your family is a singer...would that be you? Maybe the dog? Ha ha😁!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m10538 said:

Level 5 seems pretty easy, even I could manage that...well, maybe not. It will be interesting to watch you climb the levels, Sergey (I hope I spelled your name correct!).

By the way, I see there's a microphone there. Somebody in your family is a singer...would that be you? Maybe the dog? Ha ha😁!

Agree, it is petty a simple one.

PianoMarvel has two level scales.

In the learning course from 1-6. The second one in Library from 1 to 17. This is the level I could find in the library.

I assume it is 2 or 3 in the course (I do not remember.).

At least I know this part for a couple of years.

Now it is time to drop it from the repertoire. And forget ;)

(to free more room from newer pieces). 

Likely our dog does not sing and this is great ;)

But he has a very strong voice.

I was singing at a very high level when I was 9 to 12.

It was the children's choir of TV and Radio committee of Saint Petersburg.

We had a countless number of recordings and performances.

Actually, I do not count myself as a singer at all.

So, I use that mic to experiment with the voice processor whenever nobody home ;)

When I bought my keyboard I explored the possibility of getting some course that would help me "loosen up" and learn jazz methods, etc.  I really don't care to learn to read music, or scales or nothing.  I didn't like the courses...  I've got some good stuff from the internet.  Is that how you learned to play?

BTW, St. Petersburg is a beautiful city...  I've been there a couple of times on a cruise ship.  Awesome!  👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, m10538 said:

When nobody's home, ha! You're just referring to your human family members I'll assume. Like you've said, cat's and dogs won't laugh at you. Not right in your face at least. Maybe behind you're back...you never know.

I sing only when the dog leaves too :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sergio said:

When I bought my keyboard I explored the possibility of getting some course that would help me "loosen up" and learn jazz methods, etc.  I really don't care to learn to read music, or scales or nothing.  I didn't like the courses...  I've got some good stuff from the internet.  Is that how you learned to play?

BTW, St. Petersburg is a beautiful city...  I've been there a couple of times on a cruise ship.  Awesome!  👍

This course does not cover jazz at all. It does not mix modes/scales and does not introduce any fancy rhythms.

There are two sections. The Technique section is based on major and minor (natural) scales.

Answering your question - I had no experience playing piano at all 4 years ago. All practice was done under the supervision of PianoMarvel.

I do not like any other courses. This one at least has a straight guideline (this is what I used to)

It does not go too deep.

With such an approach(computer tutoring), it is easy to be dragged into just stupid repeating of notes instead of creating an artistic performance. That's where the human teacher should play its role. (no AI is allowed)

On 11/25/2018 at 6:52 AM, mike71 said:

I have tried the montage and the scaled down version, the MODX8 at a synthesizer exhibition some weeks ago. 

No Casio stand unfortunately. 

Anyway Mikrokosmo is a really interesting book especially for learning piano, you can easily "cheat" if you buy a CD and listen how the pieces should come.... 

A couple of notes about Montage.

Normally the manufacturer does not say anything about these "features".

1) There are 8 channels out of 16 are controllable by Keyboard. (The last 8 are intended to be controlled by external devices(DAWs) )

2) The destination midi channels are not assignable. This means part 1 is always assigned to channel 1, part 2 to channel 2.

Another option is to send all parts to a single channel.

This creates inconvenience when working with DAW since many performances are complex (include more than one part) 

3) Comparing to PX Audio and MIDI recorder. On PX it is possible to play a MIDI song and record it simultaneously as audio.

There is no such option on Montage.

4) The biggest problem on all Yamaha Synths I had is a sound of Piano. 

I tried and returned MX, MOXF for this reason. Montage has the same problem (actually on MX the keyboard is terrible).

Yamaha puts in the piano section CFX in combination with varieties of other instruments. However, personally, I hate how digital version of CFX sounds. (It is Ok when it used in a bundle with other instruments)

The lifesaver here is the external sound library Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Piano, which comes free for owners of Montage.

You've done very nicely with the course, and you've got plenty of time ahead of you.

I can see how the new tech can replace the old-fashioned teachers...  Although I would not dismiss AI...  I think AI is great and will definitely surpass biological intelligence.  I just watched an interview with Elan Musk on AXIOS (an HBO show) and I agree with his observation.