Video Files on Forum ×

Service manual, pinout or experimentation SP-33 ?

stbob

I bought a PX-160 and SP-33, used, from separate sellers. I'm getting no damper activity whatsoever from the SP-33 when connected properly.  A single pedal attached to the 1/4" damper pedal functions correctly.  I have no way of knowing whether the failure of the SP-33 to work is a failure of the SP-33 or of the PX-160 itself.  Has anyone done any experiments connecting a scope or meter up to the SP-33 pins to show what is supposed to happen when the pedals are depressed?  Or is there maybe a service manual available for it that I can use to diagnose the SP-33?

I haven't tested it with MIDI to see if it transmits the sustain on message properly to my DAW. I suppose I could try that next.

I would think you could see a resistance reading on a multimeter, at least to see  these are switching from an open to a closed circuit if you can get the test pins into the connector without damaging anything. Won't be able to check the variable signal that controls the sustain setting that controls the variable sustain, but each pedal should at least show zero resistance when depressed and infinite resistance when the pedal is released-or the opposite depending upon Casio's polarity design. All 3 pedals (without seeing a schematic) should perform this way. Casio tech, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I made a little bit of progress today.  I hooked it up to Ableton, and when I hit the left and middle pedals, I can see a MIDI signal being received into my Ableton MIDI channel.  The right pedal does not generate a MIDI signal.  So I have a path forward.  I'm going to disassemble the unit and look closer at the right pedal internals and connectors.