Video Files on Forum ×

NAMM 2019 any clues on what casio is preparing?

AbeEscape

So I'm looking at the teaser video again and another one that was posted on Facebook.  I'm seeing a keyboard that's definitely slimmer than the current Privia's.  I'm hearing much more of the sustain in the piano samples.  The control panel looks very modern.  

Edit: Apparently the video link didn't work.  Not sure why.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:35 AM, Brad Saucier said:

So I'm looking at the teaser video again and another one that was posted on Facebook.  I'm seeing a keyboard that's definitely slimmer than the current Privia's.  I'm hearing much more of the sustain in the piano samples.  The control panel looks very modern.  

Edit: Apparently the video link didn't work.  Not sure why.

When I hear about longer sustain I think about CDP. This model does have too short sustain (~6 seconds).

CDP 235 and 220 are available on ebay.

I remember I tried 235 at Casco (last year). The look of it is impressive.

If am not mistaken the number but it had a very similar look just like 235.

P.S. I found my post about CDP-240.

It is available on Amazon.

15 hours ago, sslyutov said:

As far as I know, CDP already had scaled, weighted, hammer action.

Interesting - are 100 and 350 going under $200 price range?

These models are for Europe, I have a feeling they will not be shown at NAMM in LA.

Let's at least refer to them as the S100 and S350 since 100 and 350 were used by Casio for previous models in the CDP and PX series without the S.

The latest model before these, the CDP-135, had smooth keys and the now-deleted video said the S100 had texture. Also, since the chassis is clearly different, I would guess the action in these two smaller models is different as well.

2Joe

Which of CDP models have you tried personally?

i cannot find  information about CDP 240 on Casio website but it is available on amazon.

Is it the latest CDP model available in US (according to its number)?

it feels like the list of models is much longer than what is available on websites

I've not tried the S100 nor the S350. Has anyone outside of Casio? Probably not.

I've played the 125 and 135, and probably one or two older ones like the 100 or 110 or whatever that model was. Why do you ask?

AFAIK, some models are only available at certain stores. The CDP-125 and 135 are only available at Guitar Center in the U.S. It's possible some of those 2xx models are only available at Costco or other places like that, but I don't know.

I hope that Casio is going to surprise is with a great arranger keyboard, it doesn't even have to be a complete overhaul, even if it's something like a Casio CTK-8000 with touchscreen, 64 notes of polyphony and MXi or AHL soundsource combined with zome of the ZPi effects and 4 variations per style. Price it at $400-500 and they'll have killer machine.

But it probably is going to be something like a Casio CTK-1600 with 16 notes of polyphony 100 songs, 100 styles, 100 voices, 49 keys and a monochrome display.

The CDP are good in their price point and beat the yamaha YDP by a good margin. I had CDP but I felt for a little bit more you can get much more refined PX-160 as a piano. Whenever I have some sort of hammered action and have hundreds of non-piano sounds I ask the why question. Seriously there is no need, nor desire to have hammered action for  organs, synths, strings, guitars or even drums. There is no benefit, quite the opposite as it slows down technique.

What we hear on the Privia NAMM teaser are (fingers crossed) the new samples that were introduced last year in PX-870 with longer sustain. PX-160 is a great deal and this new slab would beat everything in its path if it stays within the same price (and the indication is that yes it will) I mean seriously it would be very hard to consider Yamaha P115 if the new privia has better action and better sound and cost less - and probably now also look better.

8 hours ago, oscar1 said:

Whenever I have some sort of hammered action and have hundreds of non-piano sounds I ask the why question. Seriously there is no need, nor desire to have hammered action for  organs, synths, strings, guitars or even drums. There is no benefit, quite the opposite as it slows down technique. 

I think it depends on the needs, interests and preferences of the player, and that's why most companies offer different models (with and without weighted action) with simmilar technical specs.

If you are mostly a pianist and/or use mainly piano sounds when playing a keyboard, you might prefer a weighted action and a full range keyboard even when playing non-piano sounds. Or perhaps not, but it's a sort of a tradeoff; maybe you prefer weighted action for playing piano and synth action for playing other sounds, but you cannot/don't want to have or use two keyboards, so you have to balance what it's better for you. In any case, the possiblity to choose is always welcome.

There have been some seriously good compromise semi-weighted actions in the past that allow decent playing of both piano and non-piano tones. But most people who are buying a digital piano want a piano action. And most of the extra sounds in something like a CDP-S350 will be used for accompaniment. 

This is not really a follow-up to my last comment but more of a response that pertains directly to the thread title. Based on feature set and technology the CDP-S350 could easily be considered an 88-key weighted-action outgrowth of the CT-X line. Point being, it is still primarily a home keyboard. I haven't seen any indications yet that Casio is ready to tackle the pro market that they seemed to be so aggressively courting back when they introduced the XW synths in 2012 and quickly followed up with the PX-5S. I am not a pro (heck, I am at best a peck-and-pray keyboardist) but pro keyboards are the ones I have always been interested in since I lusted after Minimoogs and Prophet 5's in my teenage years. Oh well.

The PX-5S was the closest to pro keyboard casio ever got, at least how it was generally perceived. Second was only the PX-560. But while other PX got regular updates, these  "pro" keyboards never did which only means that it isn't a market that they did cut through, nor worth following. And that's fine with me.

They put a lot of effort in pushing the low end with ct-x and it shows. Lot of people call it now a psr killer on youtube. Perception is what counts. Not long time ago was "get casio if you can't afford psr". That mentality changed and arguably the ct-x has actually nicer keybed now than the PSR E and the piano sound is easily on par if not better. 

I feel that pro stay away from casio because of their constant sideways upgrades and compromise loaded upgrade path. The PX-560 wasn't better PX-5S with better display and much easier setup, it also inexplicably lost some of the 5S functionality so you need to pick. Instead  Yamaha with MOX, MOXF and MODX  created very clear path, the next model is simply better, has more stuff, all the features are improved, exactly what you expect from an upgrade path.

With casio it is more like having sideways models where it is unclear which model is the top model or if it ever continues with followup. You always have to make compromise. Why the pads, full blown sampling and great touch screen went to an inferior home keyboard MZ-X and not to a successor of what casio themselves call flagship, the PX-5S?

I look forward the new 2019 PX, already putting money into piggy bank.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, oscar1 said:

The PX-5S was the closest to pro keyboard casio ever got, at least how it was generally perceived. 

The FZ-1 (and FZ-10M/ FZ-20M rack modules), and also the VZ-1 (along with the VZ-8M/ VZ-10M racks) were definitely aimed at the pro keyboard markets. Both FZ and VZ were only ever offered as full sized pro level units. The high end digital guitar models - PG380, MG-500/510 were also pro level equipment.

The full sized CZ models (3000, 5000 and 1) were also aimed at the pro markets, though granted more at the budget end.

The late 80's it seemed that Casio were heavily working on pro level equipment as well as the mid range and low end consumer market. Sadly, and despite making some superb quality gear, they dropped out in the early 90's to concentrate more on consumer grade equipment 😔 It wasn't until the MZ2000 of Y2K that they attempted to get back in the pro game, and it was almost 10 years after that until they released the XW's and the PX-5S. Other than their piano line, it doesn't look that Casio is trying to get back into the pro synth market again any time soon 😥