Video Files on Forum ×

Vent or Burn?

trancedelicbluesman

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, Gypsysinger1 said:

I'm using the Lester K and really like it. its worth checking out.

Thanks. I have, now, and it does seem sweet. Even better, for me, might be the Lester G because it has compression; a real b3 has a bit of compression in the sound the more drawbars you pull and the more keys you press.

I also thought the Tech 21 Roto Choir looked pretty awesome. That one is unfortunately out of production.

You gotta love Mike Mathews of EH:

https://youtu.be/A-rlX104mJg

If you're looking purely for the Leslie effect have to lean you towards the Vent. There are things I LOVE about the Burn including: 

• Presets
  • Reverb after the Leslie
  • Tube overdrive
  • MIDI Control

So for Leslie only the Vent is just better.  That being said the Burn can do some other effects which could be cool.  I won't sell my Burn because I'll want to use it with a Rhodes or Clavinet just for the overdrive and other effects.  Somewhere I have some A/B recordings I made with both.  Let me see if you can find them.

This was done a little while back - here were my settings.  Just held a chord and let the pedals do their thing:

1.  Vent
2.  Burn 147 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
3.  Burn 122 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
4.  Burn X/Y Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
5.  Burn Rock2 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)

Vent vs Burn.mp3

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 10:55 AM, Mike Martin said:

This was done a little while back - here were my settings.  Just held a chord and let the pedals do their thing:

1.  Vent
2.  Burn 147 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
3.  Burn 122 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
4.  Burn X/Y Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)
5.  Burn Rock2 Setting (tube on, overdrive level 6)

Vent vs Burn.mp3

Nice. You say you "just held a chord" but I was hearing a pleasant bit of organ drone music with a subtle repeating melody. The different iterations did have subtle differences but honestly both pedals sound fantastic. Need I say much better than the xwp1 by itself?

I've been fooling around with this through the PX560, 350 and XW-P1. 

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/16149-line-6-roto-machine-leslie-simulator/&tab=comments#comment-49536

Now that I can hear Mike's results with the Burn and Neo-Ventilator, I'll try to work up a demo using the Line 6 for comparison. I'd guess the Line 6 is not as realistic sounding, but I'll listen to each again. 

Last night I hooked up my xw to my zoom g5 which I already own; it has a rotary effect complete with overdrive and bottom rotor. I was pleased with my initial results but I feel a need for further tweaking. I did like the sound of it. Much better than the xw rotary and the zoom overdrive sounded authentic. I found myself playing the organ part from Joe Cocker's rendition of A Little Help From My Friends. Always a good sign when you start out auditioning a piece of gear and wind up just playing music.

• 1 month later...

Without uploading soundfiles-after alot of monitoring-the Line 6 is not quite up to the Neoventilator or Burn. It isn't terrible, pretty close but what it is lacking in comparison-not hearing a realistic enough lower speaker growl and rotation effect compared to its more expensive counterparts. The rotaing upper horns seem to have a little bit too much vibrato for my taste too and this can't be dialed down.  Also doesn't sound quite as clean a signal through the pedal, but then really was designed for a guitar's output although the connections are working fine connected to line in and outs. Has some decent setting variations-3 different type of Leslie settings-mostly some kind of filtering there, and continuously variable pots for slow and fast speeds, continuouslt variable overdrive as well as 3 settings for slow, medium, fast changeovers for ramping up and down. I'd use it for live work, but recording quality maybe not. /certainly not as smooth and full a sound as a real Leslie-definitely still better than stock built-in rotary DSPs in the Casios I have in terms of more audible and realistic rotary effects. Then again, for the money-alot less expensive than any other Leslie effect I've seen. I will keep mine I think.