Video Files on Forum ×

Getting Audio through USB MIDI for CDP-220r

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not the CDP-220r can send audio through its USB MIDI interface. I use a Mac and my DAW is Reaper, which does recognize the keyboard as a MIDI controller, but nothing else. I did try plugging the headphones output directly through my audio interface, but from what I have read and subsequently experienced, it has an amp and causes a lot of unwanted noise. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for reducing the noise produced by connecting the CDP-220R to a DAW? I got a decent piano sound from a project I am working on, but the noise is really problematic. Any help would be welcome! I would be glad to start another forum too.

What kind of noise? Is it coming from the CDp-220 or from your computer? There shouldn't be any. noise depending upon what and how you are connecting the CDP. 

Is the piano sound the piano from the CDP, or is it being created by the computer-is it a "virtual" piano as part of the DAW's sounds? DAW's as you probably have already figured out, can record only midi data, or audio data, or both, but usually not at the same time, depending on how powerful your computer is. and some DAWs have a built-in sound generator using sounds (or soundfonts) which will now use the computer to create all your keyboard sounds, or Windows which has it's own crude synthesizer sounds built-in, which are going to be triggered by the midi data from your keyboard, not the keyboard's sound or audio. if you are recording the audio coming from the CDP-220, how are you connecting the CDP to the computer-my laptops have a 1/8" headphone jack in and some have 2 separate 1/8" inputs-one for "line-in" audio and one 1/8" for a microphone although my Motion tablets only have one 1/8" audio input-and it correctly senses which is being used, and switches to the proper "impedance" to match it up. If you send CDP-220 audio out to the computer microphone input-it is going to be very distorted and noisy, it must be a "line input". That is why there are so many USB audio interfaces to record audio into a computer. These interfaces will match the audio signal out from anything-guitar, keyboard, microphone and send the audio signals through the usb port correctly in order to make a clean audio (not midi) recording.  Sorry to make this so long-winded, but i never assume what someone may or may not understand, and try to give a thorough explanation to cover many possibilities in one post!

Jokeyman123, thank you for the thoughtful and very thorough reply! I am trying to use the piano sound (and the many other hundreds) on the CDP220r but there is a persistent buzz that occurs. It's actually pitched at a B. Anyways, I am starting to think it is the 1/8' stereo to two 1/4' L/R that is the problem. I bought a brand new one for this keyboard and the first one I had made noise and so did the replacement - exact same buzzing sound. I connect that to a Focusrite Scarlett and that connects to my computer. Wait a moment, I think Brad is on to something...

Brad: HOLY COW. I get no buzzing when I unplug the MIDI! Is there a way to have both plugged in?

12 hours ago, DrEricFritz said:

Brad: HOLY COW. I get no buzzing when I unplug the MIDI! Is there a way to have both plugged in?

Do an internet search for "usb ground loop".  It's a very common issue on gear connected by USB and analog audio at the same time.  An isolator is probably the best option for your keyboard.  They are available from most major online stores.  

• 6 months later...