Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 and external controller

Jokeyman123

For anyone interested, I can verify the PX560 will receive cc messages for each individual track in a midi recording in real time, and this can be monitored with the mixer. I've done pan, volume and effects levels with a Korg Microkontrol, very nice to be able to use sliders and knobs for 8 tracks-the micro only has 8 controls but still....and will also control synth settings but haven't done much with that yet.

The only limitation and it is a tough one-the PX560 midi recorder cannot record any of this from an external device. I've checked with Brad and this is correct. A shame as it would be nice to be able to record and automate realtime changes while recording within the PX.  Am still trying to figure out how to record real-time changes using the midi recorder built into the PX. Haven't tried but I am hoping it can be done using the system track somehow at least for one pass although without overdubbing-not sure if it is worth the trouble since each system track recording will over-write the prior one but that would still be a worthwhile trick.

A workaround might be to use empty tracks to record cc messages but I don't see this as possible with the PX560 as in the XW-P1 which can record specific cc messages on dedicated tracks as I recall.  Trying to avoid software but looks like that will not be possible, at least for this level of programming a recording with the PX.  Any ideas on this or am I whistling in the wind? 

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

For anyone interested, I can verify the PX560 will receive cc messages for each individual track in a midi recording in real time, and this can be monitored with the mixer. I've done pan, volume and effects levels with a Korg Microkontrol, very nice to be able to use sliders and knobs for 8 tracks-the micro only has 8 controls but still....and will also control synth settings but haven't done much with that yet.

The only limitation and it is a tough one-the PX560 midi recorder cannot record any of this from an external device. I've checked with Brad and this is correct. A shame as it would be nice to be able to record and automate realtime changes while recording within the PX.  Am still trying to figure out how to record real-time changes using the midi recorder built into the PX. Haven't tried but I am hoping it can be done using the system track somehow at least for one pass although without overdubbing-not sure if it is worth the trouble since each system track recording will over-write the prior one but that would still be a worthwhile trick.

A workaround might be to use empty tracks to record cc messages but I don't see this as possible with the PX560 as in the XW-P1 which can record specific cc messages on dedicated tracks as I recall.  Trying to avoid software but looks like that will not be possible, at least for this level of programming a recording with the PX.  Any ideas on this or am I whistling in the wind? 

Jokeyman123, hello there!
Thanks for sharing this experiments results with everyone...
I am kinda thinking about getting a small midi controller with faders myself (something like Korg Nanokontrol2).
Can you pelase clarify, PX-560 midi recorder doesn't record inputs from external device (like playing keys and pads) or does in also ignore any changes made to CC via faders/knobs (like if you lowered the value of certain CC from 127 to 62 via fader, but PX-560's midi recorder saved it as if it were 127 nevertheless)?

Thanks Brad, I did not realize that, excellent! 

A few other questions then for clarification. Since the knobs can be assigned to many cc functions and saved as a registration how do I select what these will do for a particular midi recording? In other words, the factory default is EQ hi-mid-low, and I've created a registration to control a leslie on/off and filter sweep setting using the knobs with the sounds I set up for that registration.  How would I set the knobs then to record with a multi-track recording? Can I create a registration with knobs set to control for example pan, filter and loudness respectively and somehow control a track and record this? Or are the control knobs recorded to the master track and effect all tracks? Guess I need to do some more experimenting.

ilya, I think Brad answered your and my question. the 3 control knobs can be used to record their changes during a midi recording, see my new above post getting more clarification about how to do this.

External gear connected to the PX560 midi in port will not be recorded. I have tested that to see if there was a way to work around that but there isn't. Maybe Casio can work up a firmware update to allow this function, would be a powerful tool when working with several midi instruments.

The good thing about this-depending upon whether you select midi port A, B or C in the midi setting menu-you can control whatever cc the PX can receive through an external midi controller such as pan, volume, effects level, eq, filter and others using any of those ports although I haven't tried it with the accompaniment rhythms-I will try that today. The Korg can be programmed to do just about anything, but only for 8 tracks at a time and each trak can be assigned a separate midi channel. I bought it to use with software and other midi hardware like the PX560 and it has its own software for programming through a computer plus midi din and usb ports. 

I think the PX560 can receive any of the CC messages that are standard. there is a downloadable midi implementation chart for the PX560 on Casio's website that describes all of the CC messages in detail.