What does the Accomp button do? CDP-S350

mannjik

I found a bug in the software of my CDP-S350. If I push Accomp without selecting intro or auto start it ALWAYS plays auto harmony with the left hand  even when Auto harmony is turned off. I even tried switching it to the arpeggiator and it still always plays auto harmony. If I re-press the accomp button or switch to a registration bank it stops. ( It actually did this from the first time I turned on the keyboard but I didn't realize what was going on until now.) 

Auto Harmony should work ONLY with the right hand and ONLY when turned on according to the manual.

Should i contact customer service? Hopefully there will be an update to fix this annoyance soon. 

Edited by Brad Saucier
More appropriate thread title added

This is not rythmic or any sound that comes from the regular working auto accompaniment. It's a 3 part cord sustain that drones on as long as you hold down any keys left of the split. It's an auto harmony sound that should only come from the right of the keyboard except it's on the left. Maybe I'll post a video to show you. It also does it sporadically when switching sounds etc.

Thank you, but I do not need a video.  I know exactly what is happening.  I'll try to explain differently.  The "Accomp" button turns accompaniment chord mode ON or OFF.  When accompaniment chord mode is turned ON, a chord will sound when the keyboard detects a chord being played in the accompaniment chord section, with or without the rhythm playing.  When accompaniment chord mode is turned OFF, rhythms will play with drums only.  This is the way it works on all Casio keyboards with auto accompaniment.    

To back up what Brad described-this is the way my Casio PX's work as well when Accomp is on-what you are hearing is the sounds of the different accompaniment instruments playing all at once-as if the separate melody sounds that will be "arranged" when you start the auto-arranger are playing all at once, under your left hand, and is different from the "harmony" function selectable for playing with the right hand. If you listen carefully to that left hand part statically-that is with the arranger rhythm not playing as you have discovered, you may be able to pick out each sound you will hear as separate tones used in the rhythm. And If you were to try several different keyboards with auto-arranger functions, you will hear the same thing. How does the CDP sound, I've been looking at it. The CDPs seem pretty nicely made. I gave my brother an older CDP100, even that sounded pretty decent considering its an older model and its held up well.

• 1 month later...

I understand most players would only activate the accomp mode if they wanted to add accompaniment while playing. But I use that mode on my Yamaha (without accompaniment) just to see the chords I'm playing on the monitor, as that mode also activates the chord identifier. I love this keyboard and would like to buy it, but I'd like to know if the chord indentifier can be activated without activating background sounds? Thanks

1 hour ago, COLIBRUS said:

I love this keyboard and would like to buy it, but I'd like to know if the chord indentifier can be activated without activating background sounds? Thanks

Yes.  You would go into the function menu and set chord mode to full range and set accompaniment volume to 000.  

I went back to the Casio Dealer and tried to make those adjustments as you suggested...

"Yes.  You would go into the function menu and set chord mode to full range and set accompaniment volume to 000."

But can't seem to find the right parameters to change? Any more detail on that?

Also, is there a screen in the application Chordana Play that will show all chords and variations without affecting melody playing?

Thanks 

On the CDP-S350, press the function button.  Use the dial to select 21 accompaniment volume.  Press enter.  Use the dial to adjust to 000.  Chord mode is also in the function menu and can be set similarly.  Set it to full range, which is 6.  As for the app showing which chord type you're playing, I don't think it can do that.

Excellent instructions, thank you Brad.  But now I need to move the split point upward, as this chord identification only works correctly in a lower register. Can this all be set as a new default, so I won't need to adjust this each time? Thank you.

Please note I have edited the instructions in my previous post.  I originally gave instructions for a PX-S3000 instead of a CDP-S350.

All of the settings can be saved as a registration.  To change split point on the CDP-S350, hold the split button while pressing the key you want the split to be at.