Video Files on Forum ×

Hawaiian guitar

jakenl

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

In addition to creating a custom tone, as others have suggested, you would also want to activate the Portamento effect (which is not part of the Tone definition) to get the "glide" between notes that is so characteristic of a fretless Hawaiian guitar.  There are settings to control the length/speed of the Portamento effect, and you would probably want it to be fairly long (slow).  There is also playing technique involved, playing both the starting note and ending note of the glide, to get that characteristic sound.

Update: I remembered there is a "Hawaiian" rhythm (#143) on the 5000, and if you listen to the intro it certainly has a Hawaiian-style slide guitar part.  From what I can tell, it is mostly based on the #587 GM Jazz Guitar, with modulation turned on to get a subtle Vibrato effect, a fair amount of reverb, and a little chorus.  So that's a place to start.

Edited by Mclandy

Actually it's called a "lap steel".  It predates the invention of the pedal steel.  I have a Fender steel guitar I personally restored myself, originally constructed in 1949, a model used in many famous recordings like "Sleep Walk".  I sampled that Fender for the MZX.  In the end, those samples ended up sounding very much like the factory telecaster guitar samples.  The trick to a convincing lap steel sound is in the bar slides.  Pitch bending samples causes a timbre change that sounds unrealistic if pushed too far.  It's best used sparingly.  

• Like 1

The Casio Keyboards I've had do not have this sound. On the Yamaha Tyros (also on the S900)

this sound is magically far superior to any adaptation and editing that is done on the Casio.

The ADSR on the Yamaha Start with a single wave and end with a small modulation.

And when using Bend we have a very convincing sound.

Casio has wisely added a Nylon guitar with Bend to the CT-X Line, as the MZX Line does not have this sound from the factory and it is necessary to sample an external sound.

As for the name, I think  ALOHA GUITAR.

The important thing is that the proposed sound is close to the intended sound.

Edited by Silvano Silva