Video Files on Forum ×

XW -P1

Alright! Synthesizer + banjo, don't hear that too often! I suppose the banjo has limited appeal, like the bagpipes, but I like the sound of both. I'm a country boy (since leaving Detroit in '76) so that's a sound that works for me.

Not sure about the trance arpeggio though, Tom. Maybe a bluegrass one would be better, if there is one.

• Like 1

I really am not looking to have a bluegrass vibe,but thanks.I have just had this synth for a couple of months so I  am feeling my way around  .I would like any and all suggestions but in the taste realm it is probably wasted, I liked it so there it is.Next time I will be into something else probably.As far as appeal I think little about that at this stage of my journey.

Thanks for being friendly m10

I went back and looked  m 10 you are right that it isn't right,but more the fought of the lack of getting it in the right place, not the arp .I will try ''more'' if it will keep me from getting relegated to a bluegrass oom pah

Thanks Brad ,don't know the tone ring on the bottom one Vega type? What is the brand on your masterclone

I play banjo, here in Pennsyltucky, we have bluegrass festivals-I am a big fan. Not so much to the newer, more "progressive" bluegrass like Bela Fleck which borders on jazz with the extended chords. Earl Scruggs, 3-finger approach an of course Don Reno. Tough instrument to master. Just saw Steve Martin do some nice work on a Netflix special.

Homespun Video based out of Woodstock, NY had some good lesson videos I have several, not just banjo.  Beautiful instruments Brad. I have a full catalog of mp3s from Doc Watson, Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley RIP all.  Tom-what are you using for finger picks-steel or plastic?  

• Like 1

The wonderful thing about music-never too late to learn new techniques, work with others. I'm still learning-I look at some of the masters (think Ralph Stanley, Doc, Mr Bill Monroe,  etc.) never stopped playing until they were called up yonder, that's my inspiration. Thanks for posting your video. 

I do play along with a friend on wedensdays. We play mostly older rock but a bit of other stuff. Those great masters are " on every corner ,when you're trying to get home"ha ha.I have a couple channels on you tube about 400 vids.I get play and atta boys here and there.

This xw  had me going back to my other devices  .Learning about filters, LFOs, waves ,I am finally grasping what they do a bit.I would love to use them'' all'' in a tasteful' incognito way.

I am thinking this route for a minute.My old CTK 691 ,pushing my old roland jv1010 midi tones module  ,anyway this thru a vu meter into the instrument in. solo synth.Possibly I will have synth filter capabilities on ALL tones.Keeping a clean audio might be a joke though

By the way  I think every one should be forced to play 1 polka per show,to keep them humble.

The Polka channel is here on my local Pennsy TV station-there are some great players with these bands, no joke! Back when, my most painful jobs were (as a drummer) Polka jobs although I played everything.  I did a gig (only once!) as a duo-drumming-with an accordion guy who was quite accomplished-but 4 hours of polkas, I almost put my sticks through my head by the end. He did every popular song of the time-as a polka, I am not kidding. and yet I worked with one of the most accomplished Duovox players in our area-studied with Art Van Damme, maybe not everyone's taste, but he could play like Earl Scruggs could play the banjo-Steve could play anything, and well.  I often forgot this was an accordion-could sound like a piano, Hammond (he used leslie speakers) every style of the time, plus the most difficult and rare ethnic pieces I ever heard-he got us gigs everywhere we went.  Music can certainly take one to unexpected places. I guess if one is talented enough, even a jaw's harp can sound good (well maybe not). 

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I never  had a clue what portamento was in relation to synths,so this little excursion is definitely green.I have been stacking tracks with midi clock and stand alone equipment  for years .

I was inspired by Earl type playing, but I have no desire to copy what he did . There are those of great dexterity for sure. Music can be great in other ways for us mere mortals. You never see BB   wearing a pick out ,but he is fun to spend some time with also.

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, Shaunaflynn said:

All I thought was that banjo and accordion belonged to country music, and I never realized they work well on Metal.

Wait until you see how well a cello works with Death Metal!