Chordana Play for Piano (Andriod problem)

JMartin

I am attempting to use Chordana Play "for Piano" (the right app)

I have tried multiple android devices (phones and tablets - verified OTG support with an app)... multiple OTG adapter cables (I bought a three pack that has straight, right angle and left angle)... multiple USB Type B to Type A cables (including the one that works just fine from my PX-S3000 to my Windows PC running PreSonus Studio One 4.5)... and still have never seen anything but, "This function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano."

The Casio Users Manual is very vague.  Is there some kind of mode that I need to put the piano in first?

My next attempt will be to try to connect to... dare I say it... an iPhone (I am not a fan of anything Apple).

If that works, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

I consider myself pretty competent, but this has got me frustrated.

Thanx in advance for the help,

Jim

P.S. I've given up on Android Emulators on my PC (which would have been a real coup - Chordana on a 30" monitor and all).  I also flashed android x86 to an old Sony Laptop I had laying around... Android OS worked great, and I was quite impressed, but didn't really expect the Chordana app to work in either instance.  It didn't.  So now I'm trying to do it legit, still with no joy.

When you connect a USB thumb drive to your Android device with the OTG adapter, the phone should recognize the storage device and popup a menu of some sort if it does have working OTG support.  Does it do that?  It should also recognize a computer mouse and keyboard if you connect them to the USB OTG adapter.

Yup, it identifies a USB drive, no prob.  I'll try a keyboard and mouse tomorrow when I get to the office.  I've run test apps that say my phone supports OTG too.

The USB B to A cable I'm using works for my Seaboard Rise, so I assume it's okay.

The cable that is currently hooked up to the PX-S3000 is routed through my studio desk (which is why I'm using a second one), and obviously disconnected when attempting to see the phone - but it supplies MIDI to my DAW with no problem, so I also assume the port on the Piano is working as well.

Jim

Well, heck.  My son bought the Camera Adapter for his iPhone, we tested it, and it worked.

So this must be a compatibility problem with my android phone. (It is an older Motorola Droid Turbo, but I like it and have no desire to upgrade).

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive Android tablet with a reasonable size screen that is a known to work with Chordana?

Thanx,

Jim

In either case... Apple or Android, you'll use the oddball (type "B") USB port on the keyboard... The one that's shaped like a doghouse.  You are correct that the other port (type "A" rectangular) is for storage devices, like thumb drives.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Want to share my experience how I was able to use "Chordana Play" with my "Casiotone LK-S250" finally. I suppose that the same way may work for "Chordana Play for piano" and other keyboards in case if your device is unsupported.

When I've installed Chordana app to my Android phone and launched it I've got a message:

Your device does not support MIDI.

I've tried to connect it to my keyboard in various ways but without success. Looks it's MIDI drivers problem and it's not trivial to fix it on consumer Android device.

So the way which works is to use virtual machine with "Android x86". My first attempt was unsuccessful so I'll explain the steps to guide you through the process.

First you need to install and configure hypervisor. I use VirtualBox on my Linux host but you can use any other (e.g. Parallels/Vmware/KVM/QEMU/etc.) on your host (e.g. Windows/MacOS/etc.).

To create virtual machine in easy way you may download prebuilt Android x86 image supported by your hypervisor and add it. I've downloaded "Android-x86 9.0-R2 Pie" from here:
https://www.osboxes.org/android-x86/
You may use generic instructions to create VM from ISO image from https://www.android-x86.org/download instead, e.g. these:
https://linuxhint.com/android_qemu_play_3d_games_linux/

In VM settings choose 2+ cores and 2GB+ RAM at least. Enable "VT-x/AMD-V" and "Nested Paging".

In Drives page choose just downloaded (and extracted from an archive if any) ".vdi" image.

In USB tab enable USB controller (choose USB 3.0 if supported by your host, USB 2.0 otherwise).

(optionally) Before first boot (or later) you may want to change screen size (defaults to 1024x768 as I know):

- In your host OS run "VBoxManage setextradata Android_x86 CustomVideoMode1 1980x1024x32" where Android_x86 is the name of your VM, 1980x1024x32 is screen dimensions and color depth (mine is 1360x656x32 to fit full screen size in window, if you're going to use it in full screen set your native screen size).

- Boot VM and be ready to choose "Debug mode" on Grub (bootloader) black screen, you have few seconds for this.

- When booted to command line prompt press enter and type "vi /mnt/grub/menu.lst" and edit corresponding default line by adding "vga=864" to command line options, too exit from "vi" press Esc and type ":wq". In command line type "reboot".

More info how to change screen size: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6202342/switch-android-x86-screen-resolution

Boot just created VM.

In "Android settings -> Android x86 options" set "Enable native bridge" checkbox (and wait for "libhoudini" to download) to enable compatibility layer for apps incompatible with x86 CPU arch (e.g. which use ARM native libraries).

It's required for "Chordana Play v1.2.0" (latest on time of this post creation). The last "Chordana Play" version with embedded x86 support is 1.1.9 (see various versions here) but USB MIDI seems not implemented there.

"Chordana Play for piano v2.2.2" have x86 support, so this step can be skipped.

Download and install Chordana app suitable for your keyboard (with or without "for piano" part). You may do it by adding Google account and install from Google play, or download and install ".apk" file from other source, e.g. from https://apkpure.com/search?q=chordana+play&t=app (allow to install apps from different sources then when prompted).

Before opening just installed app, connect your keyboard to your host computer. In VM menu "Devices -> USB" select checkbox for your keyboard (this action called "USB pass through"). If there is no your keyboard in the list be sure you correctly created USB controller for you VM and the keyboard recognized by your base host (in linux you may run "aconnect -i" or "lsusb").

Then after opening Chordana app you'll see the message that your keyboard is connected. If it's not, you may try to relaunch Chordana (stop-start it from apps menu in "settings -> apps list -> Chordana Play").

Have fun!

I was able to import to Chordana MIDI files I like (see download link in description of https://youtu.be/xQqyYmQ4R-k) and see lightning keys on my keyboard!

BTW, it's quite laggy on my laptop. MIDI plays quite well on keyboard, but the app UI is damn laggy. Tried to run it by Anbox with libhoudini+gapps, but failed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikhail said:

So the way which works is to use virtual machine with "Android x86". My first attempt was unsuccessful so I'll explain the steps to guide you through the process.

Excellent!  I was working on using virtual machine for this, but I never finished.  Thanks for sharing!  We have another thread here on this Windows and Chordana question.  Can you post your tutorial over there as well?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, i have too somes problems connecting with android...

I have a CASIO CDP S100 digital piano and i would connect to Huawei P8 lite with Android (6 version).

For no have more connection cable, i buyed a direct cable from a Micro USB (for Android connection) to a USB B (the classical printer port used on CASIO S100)...is exactly this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07M8H5PWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I obtain every time the same message, "This function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano".

Could someone help me please ?

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I was having issues connecting to my Android (OnePlus 6T) and solved it by enabling OTG storage. After I enabled this setting I could connect to my CASIO CDP S100.

Solution:

Open the settings of your device and search for OTG. Open this setting and make sure to enable USB / OTG Storage:

dbCiWMW.png

On 10/10/2020 at 9:28 PM, Ravalon said:

Hello, i have too somes problems connecting with android...

I have a CASIO CDP S100 digital piano and i would connect to Huawei P8 lite with Android (6 version).

For no have more connection cable, i buyed a direct cable from a Micro USB (for Android connection) to a USB B (the classical printer port used on CASIO S100)...is exactly this: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07M8H5PWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I obtain every time the same message, "This function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano".

Could someone help me please ?

Thanks !

Edited by Jollly7
Adding a keyword: "Solution"
  • Like 1

Hi everyone. 
My name is Tatyana. I am an iphone user.
My challenge is to connect CDP-S350 piano with app Chordana play for piano. Tried to connect via audio cable (3.5 mm stereo mini) and lightning -3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. And received an error: “this function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano”. 
As I understand i should not turn on any function on piano just connect with my iPhone. 
Has anyone the same error? How to fix it? 
please help. 

19 minutes ago, Tatyana said:

Hi everyone. 
My name is Tatyana. I am an iphone user.
My challenge is to connect CDP-S350 piano with app Chordana play for piano. Tried to connect via audio cable (3.5 mm stereo mini) and lightning -3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. And received an error: “this function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano”. 
As I understand i should not turn on any function on piano just connect with my iPhone. 
Has anyone the same error? How to fix it? 
please help. 

The Apple camera adapter kit and a standard USB printer cable is needed for the app.