Video Files on Forum ×

16 Pads MIDI function

Carter

Can the pads on the MZX trigger external MIDI devices? How? Say I would like to trigger individual drums from a kit that is on an external device, could the MZX be set up to do that?

Also can I midi sequence the internal sound engines of the MZX by using external hardware midi sequencers?

I don't remember if the pads send out over MIDI or not.  I'll have to check that later when I get a chance.  If they do, you can record a pad phrase that triggers the note you want from an external drum kit.  

Yes, the internal sounds can be controlled from an external sequencer.  The MIDI in port setting on the MZ allows you to choose which of the 3 internal sound modules you want to use.  

11 hours ago, Carter said:

Can the pads on the MZX trigger external MIDI devices? How? Say I would like to trigger individual drums from a kit that is on an external device, could the MZX be set up to do that?

Also can I midi sequence the internal sound engines of the MZX by using external hardware midi sequencers?

You might want to read this ...

The answer is 'yes & no' ... The PADs do not send a midi control message, they will send the note on and note off messages for the programmed data they contain. If you could trigger a remote device by a note on-note off signal then you could use the PADs for remote trigger.

Here's an example of what you get on MIDI Out when pressing a PAD ...

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 0003F0C8    1   --     91    42    5E    2  F# 4 Note On               
 0003F113     1  --     80    42    71    2  F# 4 Note Off 

For $1,100 and it doesn't do that? WOW

I am honestly shocked and completely disappointed. I thought I researched this board well and understood its abilities and limitations. I was wrong. This is not another time for, "oh it wasn't designed for that purpose". What I inquired of is basic level MIDI. More importantly, the MZ-X500 is $1,100 and the pads can not trigger external drum kits on other hardware?

That completely makes its MIDI functionality useless not only in today's world but even 15 - 20 years ago! 

Why does it even have MIDI ports?

Only to be able to play its sounds with external hardware but you can not record that playing to internal sequencer!

I got the same results with the PX560-which costs like the MZ-X. I managed to discover-its internal song recorder/midi sequencer cannot record from external midi devices-a real shame as I use a Malletkat, wind controllers and digital drumkits to develop musical works. I can play the internal tones, but the sequencer will not record them. I need to use an external midi sequencer or software with whatever other tracks I record. I then realized-many of my other workstations-even the flagships, have the same limitation, which I never noticed until I began trying to record with the wind and mallet controllers so I use the recording capabilities of the QY100 and PMA-5 as midi hardware sequencers-I try to avoid software whenever possible, takes away from the playing experience for me.  Would be nice to be able to record using mulitple sources especially since the PX560 has 256 voice polyphony. Ah well, a good excuse to use more of my midi stuff. 

It's time to clear up some things about the MZ-X500 pads since I've had a minute to actually sit down and try some things.  Yes they can be used as MIDI controllers for just about anything you can think of.  Rick is incorrect in regards to pads only sending note ON OFF messages.  In addition to note data, pads can send a wide range of CC messages, you just need to assign a phrase to that pad that contains control change messages.  Only certain preset phrases contain CC messages, but you can record your own phrases with CC messages, even pitch bend.  For example, you can assign knob 1 to filter cutoff, start recording a phrase, turn the knob and it will record the cutoff messages generated by the knob.   Set that pad phrase to playback on part A-1, hit the pad and you'll get a MIDI output of the filter movement you recorded over channel 1.  Carter wants a specific note from a drum kit on an external device.  Again, simply record a phrase with that note and set the pad to play on part A-1.  It will trigger that note on MIDI channel 1. 

Thanks for the clarification Brad. I understand, you must record a midi phrase that will trigger the external midi message you recorded ( 1 note in my wish but certainly not limited to 1 note). 

Will MIDI phrases cut each other off or overlap and generate sound at the same time?

How many individual pads can have a MIDI phrase at once? Does it allow 16 MIDI phrases (1 midi phrase per pad) to be available to trigger simultaneously for performance?

Are these MIDI phrases we speak of also able to then be sequenced by external hardware, to trigger the recorded phrases (of 1 note or more) by the sequencing of an external device?

What I mean is, if notes/phrases are indeed the same for the MZ-X500 to trigger external hardware drum kits......Can those notes/phrases additionally be sequenced by external hardware?

Say I have 2 additional devices a sampler with the drum kit I would like the MZ-X500 (midi phrases) to trigger and separate sequencer that I would like to sequence this notes/phrases with.