px-1000 'Local Control' is reset on power off - why?

midipiano

I thinking about the px1000 or 3000 as a VST master keyboard.

Is there any reason why the 'Local Control' is reset for the 1000 model after powering the unit off? It's one of the few parameter that seems to be reset according to the manual even with the 'automatic continue' function enabled (which saves the parameters after off/on). But it seems not to be the case for the 3000 according to the manual, as far as I see. I don't understand why.

I want to use it most of the time just with VST plugins inside my daw and therefore I don't want to hear anything from the keyboard. Therefore I thought 'Local Control' OFF is the way to go. But setting it up every time I start the px-1000 would be a pita.

On the other hand I'm wondering whether it is better after all to just turn the volume down to zero and NOT using 'Local Control' OFF, because you would  just need to turn the volume up when I want to play the piano without my computer turned on.

But I'm wondering if there is any disadvantage when I just tun the volume off compared to the using 'Local Control'  OFF to turn off the px sound engine? Any noise out of the speaker or technical disadvantage or lifetime disadvantage?

I would be great o hear some knowledgable opinions about this, as I'm a beginner in this matter.

Cheers!

From what I understand, it's to prevent that moment where someone turns on the keyboard and it makes no sound at all no matter what they try, leading people to believe the keyboard is broken.  As far as using the volume knob, I don't see any issue just doing that if you're not using any sounds from the keyboard itself.  

1 hour ago, midipiano said:

On the other hand I'm wondering whether it is better after all to just turn the volume down to zero and NOT using 'Local Control' OFF, because you would  just need to turn the volume up when I want to play the piano without my computer turned on.

That's what I do and it works great. I find turning the volume knob way easier than going into the menu to turn local control on and off. The way I use my S3000, I'd be doing that several times a day, so the volume knob method is my preferred method. There is zero sound from the speakers when the volume is turned down and I can't see any technical advantage. I can't speak to any lifetime disadvantage since I am still living my life, so you'll have to check back with me later. Much later, I hope.

🙂 I guess you got it and made a good joke out of it, but I meant the lifetime from the device, electronics and mostly the the volume control of course. But I guess the lifetime thing was a bit of a silly question as the keyboard and also volume control is build to use it.