Video Files on Forum ×

CTK6200 review and key action

Ah well, couldn't help myself-one more Casio in my shack. Just got a CTK6200 almost new for a good price, couldn't resist (once again, a little behind the curve!)  With an XW-P1 to compare I thought it would be fun to crank on yet another new(er) Casio. Having a PX560 too, the MZ-X seemed a little redundant, and a little too steep for my budget at this point. First-the key action-I am pleasantly surprised. It has no squeaks, groans, dead keys or other bugs. Very comfortable and quiet to play-and I am primarily a piano player who also needs a spring action emulating the old Hammonds I used to play.

With speaker output, the Privias sound better to me, but through headphones much better. Acoustic pianos are very close to the AIR Privia engine, not quite as full in the midrange and the sustain is shorter but still sounds excellent for a keyboard at this price. The electric pianos are also very similar,  just lacking the "smack" of the Fender and Wurlitzer tines in the PX560. Most of the orchestral tones are pretty much the same as most GM boards I've played-passable but not as realistic-orchestral soundfonts can beat these but in context with multitracks aren't bad, except the French Horn, which quickly fades to a rather dead sounding envelope for the sustain after the short attack.

The XW has the advantage re synth programming and sounds by a long shot but the key action is similar although the CTK6200 feels more soild somehow which makes no sense.  I've looked at both internals and these look identically constructed and my XW was new.

If you are going to step up to the PX560, this is a good board to learn on because many of the menu functions are similar enough that it will be a quick adjustment, lacking the color touchscreen though this is backlit. 

One of my favorite organ tones in the 560, "rock organ" with just a touch of Leslie and growl is in the 6200 which was a pleasant surprise.

Finally-rhythms, not so much to my ears  but I haven't tried my custom rhythms I've designed and uploaded here for the PX560  on the CTK6200-today If I can and i will post results. I have to agree with others-given the quality of the basic tones, the rhythms could be much better from the factory, but then this isn't a 1000+ dollar auto-arranger! Very nice layout, a bit plasticky, but sturdy, and even if dropped since it doesn't weigh much, would probably survive alot of abuse. My other Casios are holding up well after several years, so there you go.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yes sir! The CTK6200 DOES stand to abuse, I can personally attest to that. I bought mine abused for $5 at a fleamarket down in FLA. I bought  CTK4200 in great shape for $30 at a goodwill in South West PA too. Both have similar features and LCD and keys but different color/speaker designs. The same holds true for BOTH units is: Same block front keys, center console is modular containing the WHOLE keyboard in it!, and both doe custom rhythms and samples. My CTK6200 is buried under a room full of keyboards. The CTK4200 is at arms reach from the door way. Can I compose my own beats and auto bass chord progressions ON the keyboard like on the HT700 keyboard? Can I record my own samples from the CTK4200/6200 like on the SK1/5/60/100/200/2100? Can I save all that in flash in the keyboards or do I need a coin battery hack like on the older keyboards to keep all custom stuff intact? Am I expecting too much from my $5 and $30 keyboards?

No sampling on the CTK series. There is no coin battery backup in any of my Casios described in my posts-although the CTK series I think need the D batteries used for power to remain in the battery compartments to retain user programs, rhythms other settings. I don't have my 6200 anymore so can't test that, just the XW-P1, PX560, PX575. I seem to recall the 6200 saved my settings even with the batteries removed-so may be storing user saved user info in caps, at least temporarily. i never keep  batteries in anything stored for longer than a week or so-since I've had dismal battery leakage almost ruining equipment more than once.

I don' recall if you can create custom rhythms from scratch on the 6200-but you can import any .ckf rhythm posted here in the upload section into the 6200 and it should sound reasonably close to what it was intended to sound like. I have a few I created more for my PX560 and are pretty complex and style specific for funk and jazz/funk, but will play in the 6200.

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...