Video Files on Forum ×

Use midi to select midi song and start it

pcshme

Taken from the MIDI spec:

System Common Messages

The System Common Messages which are currently defined include MTC Quarter Frame, Song Select, Song Position Pointer, Tune Request, and End Of Exclusive (EOX). The MTC Quarter Frame message is part of the MIDI Time Code information used for synchronization of MIDI equipment and other equipment, such as audio or video tape machines.

Looking over the midi implementation chart for the PX560 (I have one) I do not see any  sysex settings for system common messages that can control song select, which leads me to believe the PX560 cannot do this remotely. I could be wrong,  but without knowing what the midi commands would be specifically for the PX560, I don't see it possible. I checked older Casio midi imp. charts and only came up with "song library" settings, but with no details about which commands would change songs-this would be similar to a jukebox setting which some keyboards can do. but then, the experience I've had requires setting the songs in your order prior to implementing the jukebox play feature on keyboards that have it. I guess the only alternative would be to save these as midi files, export to the computer and punch whatever file you need manually. Like a "cart" system for radio djs. I use computers for playlists but I've never been able to trigger any keyboard remotely to send a precise song select message with a Casio. Maybe someone else here knows how.

thank you for your response,,, i use a android tablet to send change patch codes to the 560 without pro blem, so i know it's listening, 

and believe me that is a life saver in a performance to setup the 'next song' ,

but yes reading the midi implantation, i think i'd have better luck loading or creating a midi tune via remote midi than playing it.

so what i may do for performance, is connect the audio out from the tablet to the audio in of the casio 560 and tap a start midi on the app i have on the tablet,, or possible convert the midi to mp3 and use the audio player within my tablet music app to start the converted midi/mp3 file as the desired play point.     and it will play thru the casio ,, and i can of course play along.

there's usually a simple inexpensive way to do it,, or a complex and out of budget way to handle,,,,,,, thanks

mike