Video Files on Forum ×

CTK 591 through midi to usb problem

Hi, i have a Casio ctk 591 that i have since around 2007 when i was a kid. in the last years i haven't used it at all, but i wanted to start using it again but as a midi controller, so i bought a cheap usb to midi cable, the program i use recognizes the usbmidi cable and i can play some notes ok, but some other keys play a sustained high pitched note, for example: i play a key in the second octave and the program says its playing the key on the 11th octave.

Now my question is what its the problem, i dont know if the midi cable its just bad or if there is somethign with the keyboard, maybe some configuration or some driver.

Thanks.

thanks, im glad its not something that complicated. do you have some recomendations for a good/not so expensive cable?

edit: i found this one https://www.audiomusica.com/interfaz-midi-roland-um-one-mk2.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRWyBoIQU0tiV2aBFV02MuPu1O_k2-I_MOzc2le8qbicO_K6Mn-Sa5fRoC5vcQAvD_BwE its roland and it isnt that expensive. i guess it should work ok.

Edited by Saycap

Don't mean to  butt in, I've posted here previously about these cheap Chinese-made cables that have been a huge source of problems connecting anything to anything, regardless of brand. The Roland looks fine, might need to download their driver, which is ok since Roland has a download on their website for any computer midi cable they make. Any of the name-brand cables should be OK. If you do some web searching, you will find many computer music users have discovered the offending midi adapter cables that are missing key internal components, wired wrong and either partially work or are completely dead. I'm using a Midiman Midisport 2x2, a solid little metal box works well with everything I've thrown at it, has 2 midi ins and outs, is well supported by M-audio with its own drivers, about the same price as the Roland.  If you are curious about the cheap cable and what kind of problems it may cause, check out this link from pianoteq...and i don't agree about the older ones being better than the newer Chinese cables posted a pianoteq, it's a crap-shoot I made the mistake of playing after buying 3 and having problems with all of them. Stick with a known brand, its not worth the aggravation troubleshooting these cables IMO.

https://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=5069