Video Files on Forum ×

CTK6200 disassembly and repair

A caveat-I post pics like this for those of you that....

1) Have no warranty anymore-this will void your warranty

2) Have experience with electronics and music electronics-I have training as a tech

3) Absolutely cannot get to any repair facilities, Casio or otherwise-I always recommend Casio factory repair unless you do not have access where you are

4) Will take full responsibility for what you do-I post this as a fellow Casio musician, not a professional rep from Casio and finally.....................

5) like to torture yourselves...:hitt:

There are 21 screws underneath which need to be taken out first. This will only free up the middle control assembly-and with its connecting cables, will only be able to be moved enough to clear 4 more screws on each side under and next to the control panel, which will disassemble speaker assemblies on both sides. I am only showing 2 screws, there are 2 more you will see if you lift the middle assembly up a bit. Do not force the control assembly, the cables connecting the keyboard to the control panel are not very long and you could damage these if you are not careful. 

Once these screws are removed-I think it was a total of 10 more combined for both speaker assemblies on either side of the control panel-you can check the speakers -marked 8 ohms-i checked all screws to make sure speaker screws are tight, as well as any other screws I could get to without damaging anything. Now, and the main reason I am posting this-you can check the smaller screws which fasten the keys to the keyframe in back-my pic is showing screws for disassembling one octave only. If your keys are not playing correctly or making excessive noise, this is what to look at first. If you are making excessive noise, I can't help you. :beer:

I disassembled this as I purchased it used, and one of the plastic anchors holding the end panel onto the frame was broken and unfortunately to get to this one part, I had to take all of this apart since the speaker enclosures and center console panel all have to come apart to get to these side cap anchors inside the case, and the speaker assemblies cannot be lifted out unless the center console is removed.  I was surprised to find that although the previous owner had roughed this up cosmetically, I had to detail it to restore its rather impressive glossy finish, the key assembly was very tight, and except for the very last upper octave key which was scraping a little underneath, the action was like new. I suspect whoever owned this, didn't play it much, but decided to throw it around a bit. Next time use a basketball!  and although these use the older AHL sound engine and i wanted to sell it, it sounds surprisingly good for one of the budget Casios, or even not so budget. So now I have (sigh) 5 Casios, plus 2 old Casio watches-the remote control TV one, and the blood pressure monitor (yes!) one from years ago, was my fathers. He needed it with us around as kids! 

control board.jpg

CTK6200 octave.jpg

CTK6200 screws.jpg

CTK6200 speaker right.jpg

screws 2 speakers.jpg

Screws speakers.jpg

• Love 2

• 2 years later...

Oh man! I bought this uber modern Casio for $5 at a fleamarket 2 summers ago! I love to customize and build my own WOODEN and Brass steampunk like keyboards and imagine my surprise when I took this beaut apart and saw the WHOLE keyboard contained on this sleek black fancy modular control panel that is just perfect for installing in a custom keyboard/piano/organ case! Mine was also roughed up and has that last key scraping too, I tested the keyboard and even though it was physically roughed up and wet from rain, it was dried and fully works! This looked like some kind of semi pro workstation which is not so common for Casio's made in the 90s.. Sooo, yeah. What a gift! The key contact board would have to be retrofitted under a wooden keybed from a pipe organ, pump organ or piano but seems this thing is the gift that can keep on giving! Ah, one of the key hooks is bent and that is the scraping but I can not bend it back lol! It seems stronger plastic than the CTKs of the 90s..I tried to break the offending hook, and could NOT.

• Like 1

I've had the thought of making my XW modular like you can with the CTK-but it has the left side panel for control in addition to the center console like the CTK6200 and several other Casios, and I like the looks of the XW as it is, so never went forward with that. post pics if you do any custom mods, i'd like to see what you end up with. There is someone of Reverb who is designing his own wood cabinet "modular' synths using Behringer modules and the smallest keyboard controllers-and charging ridiculous money for them. Looks nice, but his markup is pretty ridiculous-charging 4-5000 dollars for a 2-300 dollar Behringer clone synth and a small 100 dollar controller. Nice idea, but seems over-priced to me.

@Jokeyman123Amen! Yeah, I have gathered alot of wood keybeds that are NOT cheap but since I want to build these for my personal enjoyment until I die, I will go nuts! Now I will post pics for the Casio mods. I have a Casiotone 405 but the control panel is cracked. I need to find a good panel somehow and that will be my first Wooden Casio synth. They had the right idea with wood grain look, but I want to take it a step further with actual wood cabinet and brass and wood keybed. I do love me some steampunk!