Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 rock organ 2-nice tone for jazz/funk

Jokeyman123

My chops still need work-I'm no Joey DeFrancesco and these are piano keys (a bit ouch) but wanted to demo one of my ckf rhythms I've uploaded here using one of my favorite PX560 organ tones-definitely a smokey Hammond B-3-this is rock organ 2, really liking to jam with this one and rock organ 3.  Rhythm comp is simply GM tones from PX560 -standard drums 1, slap bass and organ 2 plus some brass GM. I used the auto-rhythms combined with playing the organ lead live recorded in one take using the PX560 audio recorder. Once done, transferred to audacity with windows 7 computer and used lame with Audacity to export to mp3.Copying these tones over to the user tones with the Leslie DSP fast/slow in a registration works real nice with a simple on/off footswitch. I didn't demo that here, but once set up, works well for me at least.

No tune, just improv jazz "blowing" not to everybody's liking certainly. Many soloists (myself included) will quote short melodies as part of their improvising but the "head" of a jazz tune is usually considered the melody, and improv develops from that. Listen to Coltrane blowing over "My Favorite Things"-first comes the melody, then all h*** breaks loose after that! Or anything Dizzy, Miles and many other jazz improvisers were doing. Listen to Miles "Kind of Blue"- a classic jazz interpretation of the blues-the themes are the melodies, and stepping-off points for the improvisations. Take 5-which was almost all melody or theme beautifully stated-then extended with that beautiful Paul Desmond sax solo and Morello's drums which became a percussive extension of the deceptively simple Brubeck comping pattern-which again, was not the melody but formed a solid base for everything else. 

• Like 1