Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S suddenly not working as MIDI device on Mac OS

PianoguyWes

Hi all -

My PX-5S was working flawlessly with Logic on my brand new Mac...and then I updated to 10.14. something (latest update - Catalina, brand new) - and Logic can't recognize it.  I called Apple Care.  An hour on the phone, we tried everything and the *System* DOES indeed recognize that a MIDI device is plugged in - but Logic will not.

Has anyone else had this trouble, any solutions?  Is there a newer Privia people are using for MIDI on their DAW's that is guaranteed working, as far as they can tell?

Thanks!

Wes,

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that the PX-5S shows up in the Audio/MIDI Setup in the Mac operating system (as it should) but doesn't work in Logic?  

Most manufacturers of software plug-ins, audio interfaces and other DAW peripherals have advised that you should NOT update to Catalina due a wide variety of issues. That being said the PX-5S is class-compliant and supported by the Mac operating system directly. As you've confirmed it is showing up in the OS.  Why it is showing up in the System but not working in Logic is a bit of a mystery but in my opinion this issue falls completely on Apple. I will confirm with our staff in Tokyo.

Do you have an audio interface that is working with Catalina that also has a MIDI Input? 

If you use MIDI Monitor, does that see it?

Are you connecting from the PX-5S to the Mac via MIDI over USB or are you using an interface?

I haven't fully upgraded to Catalina yet, but I have a Mac that has it on a separate partition along with Logic and some other stuff. I'll try my PX-5S when I get a chance to do so, but it might not be for a couple of days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a Casio PX-5S that I've been successfully using as a controller for both my Logic Pro and Ableton Live DAWs for years.

Recently I upgraded my laptop to the Apple M2 Max on Ventura 13.4.1 and for some reason G2 will not play any software instruments notes in logic only. Logic shows that it's receiving the Midi Note but the note does not play. I have a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and the note plays fine. I've also used the Musical Typing Keyboard in logic and that works too. Have you heard anything like this from other users on the new Macs?

Again Ableton Live works fine with my PX-5S as well as other keyboards within Logic. It's perplexing and would love any suggestions or recommendations on drivers, etc.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:04 PM, Mark.op said:

For some reason G2 will not play any software instruments notes in logic only.

G2? 

I've tested the PX-5S and other Casio products in Ventura. No issues. 
Please double check that the device is showing up in the Audio/MIDI Setup.  Confirm that you're using a Stage Setting with MIDI out (USB out) enabled.