Video Files on Forum ×

How do I connect CT-X700 to Eurorack modules?

Majek Skateboards

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

USB MIDI is to a HOST device.  Computers can be a host.  Some USB MIDI host boxes are out there that will work for this as well. 

Thank you so much for the information.

I will look into USB MIDI host boxes.

Any recommendations?

I like the 61 keys on the Casio even though many experts in this field seem to like 24 or 25 key MIDI controllers, or something akin to a Subsequent 25/Sub Phatty, or a common unit like the Akai MPC units with two octaves, for running their modules.

I see that Suzanne Ciani uses the iPad with 25 key keyboard in a program like Logic (I think) to control her modules. The ethic of a small amount of keys, or sometimes no keyboard at all seems to be the rule versus 88 key controllers in the 1970s, and maybe there's a reason for this I am missing in the module world. Wouldn't Eurorack want a full keyboard?

I should go to the Guitar Center up north and see why a non keyboard, pressure unit, like Ciani also has and uses more than the iPad keyboard, is the go to thing more than piano keys these days. When I go to the store I see the sales are all Eurorack cables on one end and DAW software on the other extreme with very little in the way of traditional keyboards or synths being sold to other than young children. It's a fascinating trend to watch in this biggest of music retailers, but I do take note.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LifeformsKB1--pittsburgh-modular-lifeforms-kb-1-eurorack-pressure-sensitive-keyboard-controller-module?cond=LifeformsKB1d1

I saw this USB MIDI host device on two sites.

It looks like I can go from CT-X700 to this box to the Eurorack modules.

People buy up modules so fast only to resell them when they often find out they are redundant or tire of the sound which seems to happen quite quickly judging from the huge used market with ridiculously affordable prices.

https://www.amazon.com/Midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-midiplus/dp/B074NGTGHN/ref=asc_df_B074NGTGHN/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138385031&psc=1

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

I have not personally used them, but I know many people have success with them. 

Thanks Brad

i looked on some DIY sites learning how to get the feel of Eurorack and they said try running a keyboard or synth through guitar effects.

Going through a guitar digital delay pedal with the synth patches on the Casio CTK-2500 is a ton of fun but terribly hard to control.

On guitar I can navigate through it but with keyboards and of course more access to more sounds and more notes on keyboard, it’s hard to control and predict. It’s a beast for sure.

So just when I think I am getting the hang of it I try changing a sound patch and then it’s just a hot mess. The ambient keyboard stuff with rich effects is a lot harder than “regular” music.

I’m hooked and I can’t wait until I get some synth modules hooked up to my Casios.

Another option is going with Bluetooth MIDI, such as a Yamaha UD-BT01 for the Casio and Yamaha MD-BT01 for the Eurorack module. You’d need (ideally) an iPad to act as a host and tell the devices to link to each other however. The UD-BT01 can be powered by the second USB port on the Casio and the MD-BT01 are powered by the MIDI port itself so it can be quite a neat solution.

CME are working on a product (Widi Master I think it’s called) that will remove the need for a host device and allow direct communication from one Bluetooth MIDI device to another.

• Thanks 1

Right now before my first external module I am running the Casio through guitar pedals through an amp (low as not to blow the speaker) and it sounds like some Eurorack stuff.

Since the pedals are not designed for this it’s very easy to lose control and get lost. It’s certainly a lesson in subtle changes when turning the knobs.

But until I get my first (probably low cost Behringer module), I may find it easier to control when it’s a dedicated module. But who knows, it may be as difficult to control.

But the challenge makes it fun. And also it allows me to do music  I would have never thought of.