Video Files on Forum ×

Roland copying CASIO

13 hours ago, Chas said:

And Roland's "Go Piano" series look remarkably similar to the new Casiotone CT -S series of keyboards.

Roland is going in a strange direction these days. No longer the innovative synth makers that they were in the 70s and 80s.

Well, in this,case it is rather Casio who copied Roland or have-I missed something...? 😉

• Like 1

If I needed another 88-key lightweight stage piano/workstation, this Roland looks very good-and yes remarkably close to the Casio design for a slimline lightweight piano/workstation. And they've set the price right where the PX560 and PX-s3000 are. And no, I have not seen anything by Roland like this until now. all the RD stage pianos are much heavier, no built in sound system and twice the price. Definitely a move to compete with Casio IMO.  I know of nothing by Roland that ever copied Casio-their arrangers have always been much heavier, more expensive and all the other Roland workstations-Fantoms, RS etc. are not in the same market or design as the WKs, CTKs or the MZ-X and CTX models. I briefly owned the RS70-the worst key action I ever played, much worse than even the budget Casios from years ago. And a "Discover" arranger-great sounds, but try to get one for under a thousand US dollars. The "Intelligent" arrangers, new or old are still quite costly.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:55 AM, vbdx66 said:

Well, in this,case it is rather Casio who copied Roland or have-I missed something...? 😉

That is true, considering that the Go Pianos were released the year before the new Casiotones IIRC.

However, I like to believe that Casio modeled their new CTS series on the ORIGINAL Casiotone CT201 of 1980 (the format of the new CTS series does lend a nod towards the CT201's design. Ish...) Casio even showed an original CT201 at the trade shows when they were demonstrating the new CTS models.  Therefore Roland must have copied Casio's 40 year old CT201 design! Kind of. Sort of. There is some logic to my madness I swear!

CT202 shown below (looks the same as a CT201, except the controls are flipped from right to left).

CT201.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder why the slim case shape of the new Casio CT-S wasn't made much earlier anyway. After demise of wooden homeorgans and piano-lookalikes in 1980, the analogue Yamaha PortaSound PS-1, PS-2 and PS-3 (including robust carry case) were a great concept for making a really portable instrument (only the handle should fold away too). For a bigger control panel, laptop-style constructions (like Yamaha PS-6100) should have become standard.

But instead of this, keyboards in 1990th grew bulkier and bulkier again at least until 2000 (e.g. Casio CT-X, MZ-2000), despite modern powerful digital synth hardware fits now into a smartphone or RasPi, and nothing beside speaker size justifies a clumsy case. (Only the infamous silicone roll-up pianos were an exception.) So the arise of Casio CT-S is a logical step that should have come much earlier. Bigger keyboards IMO should always have a laptop-style foldable panel to save space and keep dust out.

Let me disagree

I think RD is not like S from Casio.

those who has both may say whether I am right.

The keyboard is totally different (one of my favorite)

If you see some similarity it is more likely Casio goes after Roland;) ( actually I do not think anybody copying anything at all)

RD is a travel/compact keyboard.

I was hoping they will resume 61 keys version.

But it did not happen.

Besides of RD there is A series which also looks and feels similar to RD but it is just a controller keyboard

• 2 weeks later...

I used a CT201 back in the early 80s when me and some friends had a synth "band" that never got around to performing. One of my friends bought it from another synth duo who were actually gigging. It was a nice keyboard as I recall, great fun, even if the sounds were a bit cheesy at the time.

• Like 1

Casio ctx parecia de lo mejor por lo compacto, pero solo los sonidos estan mejor editados, si le pusieran una actualizacion con division por capas y 128 de polifonia seria al menos mas atractivo y competente en el mercado, por ser compacto. 

Y si se pudiera cambiarle la funcion de eding a que funcionara como un intro o fill ayudaria bastante.

Un software para table para manejar sus funciones de manera tactil.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, Guivannitonos said:

Casio ctx parecia de lo mejor por lo compacto, pero solo los sonidos estan mejor editados, si le pusieran una actualizacion con division por capas y 128 de polifonia seria al menos mas atractivo y competente en el mercado, por ser compacto. 

Y si se pudiera cambiarle la funcion de eding a que funcionara como un intro o fill ayudaria bastante.

Un software para table para manejar sus funciones de manera tactil.

Good ideas 🙂

• Thanks 1