Video Files on Forum ×

My goodness it's been a long time!

Songwriter2015

Well, I can't even remember the last time I posted anything, but I still read the Forum on a regular basis, and it's nice to see it's still alive and kicking, although, in terms of new topics, things seem to have slowed a little since the glory days of a few years ago! Natural, I guess?

Although, since those enjoyable days, I've expanded the keyboard - studio with a wonderfully perfect ( if ageing, a little - like me ) Triton Extreme 88, a MODX, and a System 8, my MZ-X500 is, with no exaggeration, still in it's rightful position, close by the same X32 mixer that's in my profile photo!

The studio has been altered a lot - but the X500 is the same, reliable, genius of a keyboard, that it's been since the day I first set it up!

In no way is it shamed by my more recent, and contemporary, acquisitions, and stands alongside them all as an equal in almost every respect!

My scathing opinion of the shameful lack of support and marketing that Casio gave to this magnificent, innovative, keyboard ( in the U.K., anyway! ) will never change - and, yes, I realise that Brad, Rick, and, I'm sure, others, have different views on that subject!

BUT, I still hold the same opinion and, probably, OTT admiration for this beautiful keyboard, that I always had. 

That it it deserves to be remembered ( whatever it's flaws and frailties! ) as one of the finest examples of innovative and creative keyboard/synth/arranger technology of this, or any other, era.

I truly hope that all the "original" guys are still going strong ( sorry about the quotes Leonh 🙂 ), and that the music is still flowing strong!

My genuine affection to every single one of you.

Take care all.

• Like 1

We're still here.   :)  I'm glad you're still enjoying your MZ-X.  Now, about that Casio support for the MZ-X series, because someone may read this topic and get the wrong idea.   I really don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about Casio support.  To start, here is a list of all firmware updates for the MZ-X500 provided by Casio over the years.  This shear number of enhancements provided is incredible.  It's amazing what was added beyond what was originally advertised.  Heck, I was sold before I knew any of this was coming.  Also a few bugs were squashed along the way as well and new manuals were created to cover all of the additional goodness.  (continued below photo)

Comb25042018084026-01.jpeg

In addition to features, 50 new tones and 10 new rhythms were added in firmware version 1.31.  An additional 91 new rhythms and 20 new tones were released on Casio's official support website.  Many of the new tones come with new sample data.  The printed user manual packaged with every MZ-X has directions to Casio's official support site to find all of this, with a link on the front cover that will lead you there.  

This was all done during the first 3 years of MZ-X production.  At a certain point, the company has to move on and develop other products like the CT-X series, PX-S series, CDP-S series and CT-S series.  Perhaps "support" means something different to someone else, but all of this seems like a lot of very good support to me, certainly not 'shameful' by any stretch of the imagination.   :)

Seconding Brad's post-when I discovered a very unusual "bug" in my PX560-something most users might not have noticed, but I use almost every feature in the PX560-which has a similar OS compared to the MZ-X500-the administrators here picked up on it almost immediately-and sent the knowledge to Casio Japan and within 2 weeks-new firmware was released to fix what was an editing "bug" no-one else had even noticed until I discovered it. And when I "pooched" my XW-P1 due to my own error- several years ago, Casio fixed it, no charge. That's pretty good back-end support AFAIK. Look up "Roland screen problem" on Googoo or whatever you use to search.. Affects the newer Junos and several auto-arranger boards where the LCD goes belly-up and there is no fix in sight, after several years. Stopped me from buying a Juno-G. and just visited Casio Dover-took this picture in the lobby, yeah I'm a fanboy...

image.jpeg.1f7253cbbfaf1e9bfe7743dd5ce31c53.jpeg

The Mzx is an excellent keyboard but it still needs corrections and improvements.
Still continues giving bizarre errors in the ZAL Archives when there are sampled Ztn and Zdr tones.
Sampled sounds become defects as you install new sounds.
I hope that Casio does not abandon us because the quality of the mzx in professional sound is very good.

Está demorando muito pra fazer a correção (It's taking too long to make the correction)

Agree - think they may have closed their doors on this one - great shame if so - perhaps even Casio don't realise what they have created!!!

😀

• Like 1

YES, 1.61 has been in the newer MZs for a while - you may be right - perhaps they are fooling us or playing games!!!

Does anyone know the difference - 1.60 vs 1.61????

Come on Casio - wake up!!! You've hit the market with an incredible piece of gear - don't drop it so soon!!!!

Pete 😀

• Like 1