How to use CDP-S100 as a MIDI controller without a computer?

I have my shiny new CDP-S100 which I think is fantastic. 

I connected the USB port to my Windows 10 system and the keyboard is detected immediately as a MIDI i/o device by Reaper and I have no doubt will work with Ableton Live too.

I have an old Roland JV880 sound module that I'm still fond of, particularly its piano patch. Is there any adapter that exists anywhere that would allow me to use the CDP S100 as a MIDI controller to send MIDI over the DIN connector to the JV880 (or any other MIDI device for that matter.)

Thanks folks!

Tim S.

I use a Midiplus midi host box-to create midi in/out connections for keyboards that don't have midi din such as the PX575 and CDP series. I got it for $40.00-its available on the usual web vendor sites e**** and Ama****zooey have the best prices. Works well, is solidly made and about the most affordable. There is a similar "host" box made by Kenton, but it runs 100 or more US dollars. And some have made one from Arduino designs, but that gets a little complex. I preferred a ready-made box i could just connect and use.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
55 minutes ago, William J. Rogers said:

Hi guys,

Was this resolved? I bought the CDP100 assuming I could simply hook it up via USB and record MIDI in Reaper. Is this not the case?

If this is only possible using an external device, what should I buy?

Thanks guys,

William

Yes, that will work fine.  The original question in this topic is referring to use without a computer.  USB on the keyboard is designed to work perfectly with a computer.  You'll be fine. 

• Brad Saucier changed the title to How to use CDP-S100 as a MIDI controller without a computer?
  • 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Derpzillz said:

Can you use samples from the computer to change the sound of the piano as well or only record midi information and change the sound in my daw afterwards?

New samples cannot be loaded into the CDP-S100 and saved to the internal memory, if that's what you're asking. The CDP-S100 is pretty basic and aimed at folks who just need an 88-key piano in that form factor at that price point. What you see is what you get as far as the internal sounds are concerned.

However, connecting it to a computer as a USB-MIDI input device will allow you to trigger software instruments in your DAW by pressing keys on the CDP-S100. If you like the feel of the CDP-S keybed, but prefer the sound of VSTs in your DAW, using the S100 as a MIDI controller would make a lot of sense. All you need to do that is a simple USB Printer cable, no need to get a separate host box (USB-MIDI was designed to interface directly with computers and mobile devices, after all).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Has anyone used the CDP-S100 as a midi controller for ableton?

I just got the keyboard and ableton today so i really don't know much about either of them.

I connected it with a usb printer cable and my laptop recognized that somethings plugged in but i cant see it in ableton.

Does anyone have an Idea?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I sure appreciate this forum. I am an old guy, just bought a CDP s350 keyboard. I'm trying to figure out how to midi connect the keyboard by the usb b port, to my Miditech Pianobox Pro, which is a sound module with key sounds and percussion as you may know. Is it sufficient to make this happen by using a standard usb b printer cable male on both ends, one into the 350, the other into the Pianobox (it has a usb b port), without the need for a midi interface box? 

Thanks so much.

Ivan

The USB MIDI port on the CDP-S350 requires a host device to function.  That usually means a computer or smart device. I'm not familiar with the sound module you mention, but if it has standard MIDI ports, you can use one of the USB MIDI host adapters to convert to standard MIDI.  If you search the web for "usb midi host", you'll see some boxes made for it.  I'm not personally familiar with any of them, but it appears to solve the issue for many.