Video Files on Forum ×

Looking for information on px-350

Harpon

I've been thinking about getting a Privia, and I want one with a lot of voices.

The Privia PX 350 seems to be quite similar to my WK-6600 unweighted 76 key board, in terms of sound layout and selection- the same tone names come up in the same sequence under the "piano" selections for example- and seem to have the same 17 track recorder with 5 song save.

The PX-350 seems to have been discontinued, when?, while the WK 6600 board is still available new-  I've thought about looking for a used Privia maybe. 

I got my WK-6600  4 or 5 years ago, and being spread on a lot of instruments- still getting to know it, but fairly comfortable with the controls.

One question I have is: Are the speakers on the PX 350 ported out the back the way I've heard promotional blurbs for some Privias the past few years?

And also, Is there a sound level (Too quiet) problem that models before that have been often reviewed as having?  I had a PX 100 or 110 for awhile, and one thing I found was the 8 watt oval speakers didn't put out a large volume.  The sound on my WK-6600 board is adequate for my tastes and living situation I think, but top side, not ported in back.

Finally, what are the relative timelines between a PX-350 (Release year,  year discontinued?) as opposed to the  Privia PX-360 and Privia CGP 700 

Are there many PX-350s still around?  They have a flash USB port, right?

One last question: does the PX 350 have the tone editing functions my WK-6600 has?

I'm not yet ready to spend the kind of money the newer models cost, but maybe if Trump buys his way to another term and I have $1000 more and haven't died from Corona viral,  maybe then.🤪

Can anyone answer ?

Just to answer a few of your questions-I've owned mine for about 4 years now.

1) Speakers fire out the back and from the top-there are small vents on top-volume on mine at least is loud enough to carry a pretty large room without additional amps-in my rather large area-I can hear it when playing a song or rhythm arrangement just about everywhere except the far reaches of my home's rooms. It is loud enough to be heard clearly in a medium-sized hall providing you do not have to compete with others in a louder ensemble. You would probably need additional amplification if accompanying a medium to large chorus for example. when practicing by myself-I never need to turn it louder than about half-way. I don't know if this is typical, but i would think it is. 

2) There is no tone editing-compared to a CTK/WK there is not as large a selection of tones to play with (250 as opposed to it sit 700 on the WK? )although there is a full bank of "GM" sounds for playing back standard midi files, same as the WK. The tones on offer are excellent-I have owned the CTK6200, have the PX560 too-the pianos are much better on the PX350 than the CTK/WK series-are AHL samples in the CTK/WK series-"AIR" tone modeling pianos in the PX350-with 3 levels of sampling and many other nuances when playing that are not in the WK or CTKs-same pianos as the PX560 top of the line. Definitely noticeable difference in acoustic piano sounds for realism. Drums sound the same on the PX350 as the WK/CTK. 

3) Takes a large thumb drive-I don't recall the capacity, I've been using a 2GB but i think it takes much larger. Used for storing user songs, midi files playable on the PX350 and audio (wav) files recorded from the PX350-or loaded from a computer-in 44.1KHz sampling rate. No editing of wav files in the PX350. You cannot edit auto-arrangements on the PX350, but you can create your own with a computer and a couple of software programs -posted here by Chandler, myself and others, load these into the PX350 but it only has space for 10 additional user rhythms. I know user rhythms created on the WK will play on the PX350. I have to look at the manuals again but I believe the WK has more factory rhythms than the PX350 i could be wrong. 

4) You didn't ask-but just in case you plan to do much recording using the PX350 song recorder-it works well but.....a little tricky to work through with the menu system and buttons you need to use to record on separate tracks. if you've done much with the WK song recorder, the concepts are the same-with the system track used to record rhythm accompaniments and changes, tempo, etc. while the remaining tracks record primarily whatever tone you select for each track.  BUT....there is almost no editing of your midi data once recorded-just a simple punch-in/out function, nothing else. The WK song recorder is much better in this regard. 

5) As far as availability-there are still many on e****y last I looked, running around 400-600 US dollars maybe a little .more or less. Heavier than the newest PX-S series, but the action is excellent IMO if you play much piano, definitely a plus compared to the WK action.  If Trumpy coughs up money to you, I would go for the PX560 if you can afford it-the touchscreen is whoopee! to work with, and has all the recording and playing, editing features for everything-tones DSP, mixes can all be edited and saved to thumb drive-I use a 32GB on that puppy.  Hex layers are fantastic-i would describe it as just a little shy of a complete keyboard workstation, and that not by much. I have kept my PX350 though, still an excellent board for the price.  

OK- Thanks!  Much to think about and variable factors- as ever- with technology that's hard to keep up with.  The more I play the WK-6600 the more I'm happy with it, and I see those going used for $200- incredible board for that price.  I still have a Baldwin Hamilton acoustic studio upright, but growing tired of tuning it and afraid it might fall through the floor of my shack, so just turning my attention back to weighted 88 boards.

DSCF4017.thumb.JPG.774975965b55a07d997ea24f083d0eba.JPG

Then the one other thing- Can anyone give us a general year of introduction for the PX-350, and then also when the PX-360 appeared (I guess it's up to PX 560 now?  Is that a lineage?) and when the CGP -700 came along?

I'm assuming the larger colored Icon screens came along later- at the same time?  I'm just interested in the ages of the technology at this point.  I saw a video comparing the 350, the 360 and the CGP700 on youtube and I think it was dated 2015.  What has been the progression since then, if any?

PX-150 and PX-350 were released in 2012.  PX-5S was released in 2013 and is based on this generation.    

PX-160, PX-360, PX-560 and CGP-700 were released in 2015, a refresh of the previous generation that added new features, sounds and improvements.

PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 were released in 2019.  This generation is a thorough redesign with slimmer dimensions, all new graded hammer action, new sounds, new effects system and new rhythms.