Video Files on Forum ×

Hanging Key AP 420

Hello,

today I came home and recognized, that one key of my AP 420 is hanging, after my kids played the piano. Curious as I am I 'opened' my AP 420 an detected, that the small part under the key (as can be seen on the picture, the ones next to it are OK) got broken. I think, it is made of gum and got broken because of fatigue.

Can anyone tell me, what this part is called and is it something, I can order anywhere?

2a16ac-1585853425.jpg

Thanks,

Robert

Whew, Casio may be able to provide the part, but probably not-since this is a part of the entire fulcrum arm and therefore the entire piece would need replacement-and major disassembly to get to it, a considerable task which I have done on several Casios and other broken keyboards-not for someone without quite a bit of mechanical skill, plenty of tools and the patience of ..Job as some might say! 

Here is a possible solution. do you still have the broken part? If so, i would epoxy it back into place, with the strongest epoxy you can get-something like "plastic steel" or similar. If the part is gone-it may be possible if you are creative and handy-very handy-to fabricate this broken piece with some kind of similar hard rubber-again would require some pretty strong bonding compound to adhere to a part that gets some mechanical punishment-but not as hard as one might think, since some of the shock from the key is transferred to the rest of the fulcrum arm. I would use the neighboring parts as your prototype to as closely duplicate this part as you can. I have done such repairs and if done right, will hold up for a long time. Unfortunately, since most hardware stores, home centers and such are pretty much closed to the public, at least in my state-you can probably order what you need online, i would try to find some odd piece you may already have around that has the same or similar properties to the rubber fulcrum end that is broken. The other difficulty is that I believe these have a bit of lead or something like that in it-to give it some weight-I could be wrong, I'm going by memory here. IMO this would be worth the trouble if this keyboard is important to you and you wish to restore it. If you send it out for repair-might cost quite a bit-I'm not sure most repair techs would bother-would be worth a call to Casio. 

Hey jokeyman,

Thx for your detailed reply, although it sounds not good. I thought, this is a single piece Casio can deal because it's part of every new piano. I have a Casio dealer here in my city, maybe they have the parts I need.

Otherwise I would definitely try to rebuild such a part out of the proper typ of rubber. I guess, epoxying it back will be quite hard, because you need child's fingers therefor...

Let's see what Casio answers, I will definitely post my solution here!

Bye, Robert

Hi RobertAP420,

I have an AP250 and I have a similar problem - slightly sunken key. It still makes a sound but apparently the mechanism that makes it spring back up is broken. May I know how you managed to open your piano cabinet and access the key mechanism? Because when I couldn’t remove the wooden top surface/cover even after u screwing the back plywood.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi Robert

I am facing same problem with the Silicon bush broken inside the key, it keeps broken one after another recently.

I could only fetch the broken tiny pieces which is not able to get fixed in any manner.

I try to see the picture of the part you posted, but somehow it is not available for download

Did you manage to get that silicon bush( the rubber part mentioned), and what is the part number.

it will be great if you can share some info, currently I am stuck as no dealers are nearby.