Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1000, how much better than PX-160?

Raver

Hi to all,

I am new here and I am an absolute beginner in search for a budget but good digital piano to start learning some piano playing.

I decided for a casio and would like to know how much better the new PX-S1000 is compared to the older PX-160.

Considering that the difference in price here in italy between them is small, about $55, I think that the newer PX-S1000 is a better deal but I wanted to ask also to you experts before making the purchase. Thanks

Hi Raver and welcome to the forums!  I'm sure a few of our members will add their opinions as well.  Personally, I would say the PX-S1000 is better in every way.  I would not hesitate to go with that one.  It has improved sounds, improved action, more compact size, looks prettier (subjective , I know) and has a mobile app to make controlling piano settings easier.  It also has optional Casio accessories, like the portable SP-34 3-pedal unit and SC-800 custom gig bag.  I know we can't leave our homes and go places right now, but we will eventually.  When we do, you might like having that extra bit of portability in the S1000.  

• Like 2

Yep, feature-wise I'd take the PX-S1000 every time. The only way someone might take the PX-160 instead would be a bigger price difference than you state, or if they like the keyboard feel or sounds better. Personally I think the PX-S1000 beats the PX-160 in both regards, but not everyone does.

I played both and it seems like the PX-160 has a nicer keybed weight touch. More like a piano, but indeed noisier.

The new PX-S1000 has somewhat a more easy touch keybed, more silent,

but it feels less piano like compared to the Px-160...

I would say that you would beter try both of them side by side and see what you like.

Depends how much you want the keybed feel to come close to a real piano.

Featurewise, lightwise, piano sound and so on, the PX-S1000 seems like a better choice.

But, if you find a used PX-160 at half price compared to the PX-S1000, I would say you do a great choice for the PX-160.

Now, if you can afford to buy the PX-S3000, that would be a great difference featurewise compared to the PX-160,

it would be like you have a 88 DP and a Arranger 2 in 1 ...

It depends what you want to do with it.

The older PX350 if you can get one inexpensively might work-I think the PX160 and PX350 have identical actions-mine feels more weighted than some-more like a grand piano key than an upright. And it does have auto-arranger capabilities plus the Casio 17-track recorder and an audio recorder built in. Even with owning the PX560-I have kept my 350 as the acoustic pianos are excellent sounding simulations and same action I think, as the PX560 and I think the PX160. The PX360 is the upgrade to the 350 with the color touchscreen, why it costs more.

Just out of interest went searching for PX160 and PX360 (NL Europe) Well the 160 is not available anymore replaced with PX-S1000, the PX360 if you're lucky you can find them new (if). The 160 was a better price candidate and keybed (but was riddled with key trouble still the best key I've felt) and for the 360 if the action of the key isn't any different the PX 560 would be the better candidate. 

My opinion though but if I could have it now it would be the PX 160 fore sure I still have the muscle memory of the feel from it no pun intended.

• 11 months later...