Video Files on Forum ×

Privia PX 160 midi

stip

Hello,

New on this forum. A few years back I bought the Casio Privia Px160, and I'm stunned by its quality. Much better than the Roland or Yamaha in that price range. I recently bought also a Yamaha reface CP. Now since the PX 160 only has USB Midi , is there a way to connect the PX160 to the Reface CP (which has DIN Midi), and use the Casio as a Master/Controller to play the Reface sounds on the Casio. If not, is there a solution? Appreciate the help.

Look up midi host on this forum. There are number of posts about this, including mine. Short answer, you need to get a midi host adapter-there are only a few available commercially. I use a Midiplus host box. There is a Kenton brand host box too but over 100.00. The Midiplus is alot less expensive. It works fine on my equipment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Look up midi host on this forum. There are number of posts about this, including mine. Short answer, you need to get a midi host adapter-there are only a few available commercially. I use a Midiplus host box. There is a Kenton brand host box too but over 100.00. The Midiplus is alot less expensive. It works fine on my equipment.

Thanks Jokeyman123. I'll go for the Kenton probably. Next question is I'd probably have to put the piano in local off mode? Or just turn the volume down?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 9:29 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Either way will work.  Some people simply turn down the volume.  

I received the Kenton today, but the LED keeps flashing, meaning: It doesn't recognize it, although the Privia is class compliant. I connected the mini midi split cable on the Reface with the Kenton USB Host's midi slots and plugged the USB cable to the USB outlet of the Privia PX-160. Is there another step involved? Meaning: How does the Kenton determines which is Master and which is Slave?

I found this description from Sound-On-Sound online magazine (great equipment reviews for alot of equipment) which might help.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kenton-midi-usb-host

So the Reface has a split cable that gives you midi in and out on the same cable? Hmmm.....I'm wondering if this is confusing the Kenton. Try switching the in to the out and the out to the in. I'm not familiar with the Reface midi connectors, so I don't know how these are labelled.

According to the Reface manual, you connect the 2 din ports to the Kenton with a Yamaha adapter cable that attaches to the 6-pin Reface cable and converts the mini-din 6-pin in and out to a midi-din 5 pin in and out.   Seems a little confusing to me, why would you need the Reface adapter cable as illustrated below in this link, and the 6-pin midi Reface cable to connect to a standard 5-pin din in and out as on the Kenton? Might be that you can only use one as master and the other as slave but only in one direction. In other words, you can only use the Reface as master to the PX-as slave, or the other way around. I'm thinking maybe the Reface has to be the master? Sorry I'm asking more questions than helping! 

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/reface-midi-pin-out/

54 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I found this description from Sound-On-Sound online magazine (great equipment reviews for alot of equipment) which might help.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kenton-midi-usb-host

So the Reface has a split cable that gives you midi in and out on the same cable? Hmmm.....I'm wondering if this is confusing the Kenton. Try switching the in to the out and the out to the in. I'm not familiar with the Reface midi connectors, so I don't know how these are labelled.

According to the Reface manual, you connect the 2 din ports to the Kenton with a Yamaha adapter cable that attaches to the 6-pin Reface cable and converts the mini-din 6-pin in and out to a midi-din 5 pin in and out.   Seems a little confusing to me, why would you need the Reface adapter cable as illustrated below in this link, and the 6-pin midi Reface cable to connect to a standard 5-pin din in and out as on the Kenton? Might be that you can only use one as master and the other as slave but only in one direction. In other words, you can only use the Reface as master to the PX-as slave, or the other way around. I'm thinking maybe the Reface has to be the master? Sorry I'm asking more questions than helping! 

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/reface-midi-pin-out/

The other connection seem to work (direct from Reface MIDI to Roland FA-07), so I think the Casio Privia is the culprit. I tried the Miditech USB Midi host before, and that didn't work either. I never used that USB port for anything else.

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

I'm not aware of a factory reset function on the PX-160.  Simply turn off the backup function, then power off and back on.  

Thanks Brad. But that didn't do it. Must be something wrong with that USB port.

On 4/23/2020 at 10:59 PM, Brad Saucier said:

If your computer is not recognizing the piano as a CASIO USB MIDI device, and your cables are proven to be reliable, it may well be a fault in the USB port on the piano.  It's very rare for that to happen, but possible.

How do I know it's a hardware problem as opposed to a software issue?

When I hit the function key and the last E-key (USB device mode) while connected to my iMac, I get no beep response which is supposed to be (?) audible.
I have to know before I decide to go to a repair shop.

Your other equipment works fine, and 2 midi hosts don't work with the PX-160. Take a closelook inside the USB connector-is it possibly oxidized from disuse? Could be. My router just refused to connect this AM-because the ethernet plug was no very secure-and it isn't very old equipment-just loose. Seems silly, but could be a simple not very tight connection in the PX160. Shoot some de-oxit or something similar in there a bit-even a bit of alcohol might clean the very tiny pins in these jacks. 

20 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Your other equipment works fine, and 2 midi hosts don't work with the PX-160. Take a closelook inside the USB connector-is it possibly oxidized from disuse? Could be. My router just refused to connect this AM-because the ethernet plug was no very secure-and it isn't very old equipment-just loose. Seems silly, but could be a simple not very tight connection in the PX160. Shoot some de-oxit or something similar in there a bit-even a bit of alcohol might clean the very tiny pins in these jacks. 

Good idea, thanks. I might try that first before anything else.

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, stip said:
On 4/27/2020 at 6:51 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Good idea, thanks. I might try that first before anything else.

Thanks a lot! Just bought a new PX160 and had the same issue. This helped a lot