Midi settings?

Possum

When I connect my keyboard with my computer, they are not talking.  The computer indicates the they are connected but 1) data from my keyboard is not being transmitted to the Finale notation program.  And 2) when attached to my audio interface and run thru the Reaper DAW no data is transferred.   What's happening? Or rather, not happening?  I don't know if I need to change something under the Midi settings....manual not at all helpful.

In Reaper at the very beginning it identifies the input device and settings.  Audio interface is identified.  Then when Casio is plugged in directly it is identified.  One new thought..does a Casio need a driver?  And I 'm using Windows 10.  All this is in an effort to be able to play and notate music which is what Reaper seems to be able to do.  I have Finalr, but couldn't get the Hyperscribe tool to work with this keyboard.  (Only a little hair left to pull out). 

No, it should not need a driver, and don't install one, that might mess things up. Jokeyman posted something in this other thread that might be helpful, or at least informative.

Do you have another device that you can test the keyboard with? Also, try MIDI-OX to see if the issue is the OS or Reaper.

• Like 1

If all else fails read the manual, again....px5s isn't compatible with Windows 10 according to the manual.  A friend suggested using an  iRig as a workaround but it is only 24bit and is designed for guitar makes ne hesitant.  What does anyone else think?

14 minutes ago, Possum said:

If all else fails read the manual, again....px5s isn't compatible with Windows 10 according to the manual.  A friend suggested using an  iRig as a workaround but it is only 24bit and is designed for guitar makes ne hesitant.  What does anyone else think?

All Casio keyboards with USB MIDI released in the last 10 years or so are USB class compliant.  This means it's compatible with Windows 10 and any other operating system that supports class compliant USB MIDI devices.   The manual was written before Windows 10 was released.  Something must not configured properly in Windows or your software.  Do you have another computer to try?  

• Like 1

In the Casio Support site there is a page entitled Casio USB drivers and there they are listed as not being compatible with Windows 10.  In the manual for the PX5S, the section where directions are given on how to connect with a computer, several versions of Windows are listed but not 10.  The first time I read this I didn't take the omission seriously, but I think on my second reading that the Win10 is not listed for a reason.  If there has been an update that would be great.

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Just so you all know-this is not a Casio problem.

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/115004252083-USB-MIDI-is-not-recognized-on-Windows-10-

Some of the solutions posted here at this link "might" work for the Casios. Just for curiosity-I just  purchased a laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled-only 4GB RAM, but dual-core Intel processor, not too shabby,  huge hard drive etc. and discovered several things about it i immediately saw as potential problems-with apologies to all of you who are having no trouble with it. And with validation to those of you who have been using Apple/MAC/ipad/iphone/android/Linux instead. Including me.

1) The interface-adding more processor time just to keep this up and running-with the ability to change layouts, menus, reverting back to Windows 7 layout, was all this necessary?  This is all using more processor time, and you haven't even started anything yet. And the processes running in the background are even worse than Windows 7-there are more, not less. 

2) It has been designed to "mimic' the look and operation of-Windows Slate or 8, app store like the Apple, what a mess IMO. Even the apps look like an entirely different design-i haven't looked at the code to see if it designed differently, but I suspect it is no longer just Visual basic, C++ and whatever else Microsoft was using prior to this. and i know alot of older software will not be compatible with it-i didn't bother to see if there is a "compatibility' mode as in 7.

3) nless you have windows 10 pro, you no longer can choose whether to be a) notified of updates, but not install b) automatically install updates (always crashed even Windows 7 when I let it update the 100 plus patches needed to keep the OS "secure" and took tremendous CPU time as it did this constantly while i was trying to work) or turn off updates completely-you now have to keep updates on automatic-not a good choice if you want your computer to keep working. Most of the incompatibility issues with Windows 10 seem to be which updates are or not installed-good luck figuring out which ones, and you can't delete them in windows 10, unless I'm missing something. So if the latest security or update patch pooched your ability to use protools etc. you need to back out the entire operating system with the recovery tools, but you won't know which patch until you go through whatever restore points you may have saved-and since your patches are updating automatically-how do you know?  and windows 10 is also installing additional driver updates automatically-which may make things worse if your software needed the original driver!!!!!

As a result-I deleted Windows 10, and re-installed my Windows 7 pro. 10 is supposed to be faster? No it isn't. My machine crawled to the opening screen, only to be greeted by the "Cortana' helper, before it even came to the GUI! Is this the way it works, or was this just a peculiar installation? 

Brad if you want to move this to the other post, fine. After a newly exasperating experience with this latest Windows OS, I just had to post this additional info. I wanted users here to not be blaming Casio for a problem that obviously should be laid at Microsoft's feet. This is not the first time Microsoft left out important parts of the operating system needed by users who use their computers for music. Try to find the midi mapper in Windows 7 even-there isn't one, unless you install a 3rd-party add-on which I found at Coolsoft's website. and access to the midi mapper is vital when using midi and music/audio software. it disappeared after XP. I didn't look, but i'd be willing to bet it isn't available in 10 either. Oh well....

Oh my.  I have a Casio Privia because I 'm a classical pianist and fell in love with the feel and the piano sounds.  Don't use ir care about all the other amazing stuff.  Just wanted to be able to do some composing for my students and arranging for fun.  Bought a new Surface pro so it would last forever..no strange things on it from someone else using it and newer technology that would make it useful for as long as possible.  Sounds like I totally missed the mark.  I don't know enough about current music and sound technology to fill more than a small hat.   Except it sounds like I now have a very nice computer that is pretty much useless for what I actually want to do, at least not with a great deal of workaround that I am completely lacking in skills to do.  Any suggestions?

47 minutes ago, Possum said:

Any suggestions?

It's also not a Windows issue.  Reaper simply needs to be configured properly.  I'm not familiar with Reaper, so I downloaded it with Windows 10.  Right away I see the issue. You need to enable CASIO USB-MIDI in Reaper.  Take a look at the screenshot below.  When you left click on Casio USB MIDI in the menu, instructions appear below that tell you to right click on it to enable it.  One you enable CASIO USB-MIDI, you'll be able to record with it. 

Screenshot (21)_LI.jpgper.