Video Files on Forum ×

Which Casio keyboard offers the most stuff?

So, I've just purchased a PX-560, and I'm going nuts waiting for Amazon to deliver it.  And of course, I'm starting to second guess my decision.  I THINK I bought the right keyboard.  But I don't KNOW that I did.  So, here's what I was looking for:

First, my dream keyboard has to have 88 keys, full keyboard.  That's a must.

Second, it has to have REALLY good samples - realistic piano and stringed instruments.

Third... I don't know where my music will take me, so I want a keyboard with incredible flexibility, one that can do damn near anything, because I don't know what I'll be doing a year from now.  I want ALL the toys.

So, with all of those criteria...what do you think?  Is the PX-560 the best choice for me?  Or is there another Casio keyboard I missed, that possibly offers even more than the 560?  What are your thoughts?

>Charlie

The PX-560 is as advanced as it gets as far as the Casio models with 88 weighted keys. The only other weighted key model that could debatably surpass it is the PX-5S, but both of these models are considered to be the flagship Privias so which one is "better" is a matter of debate.

The PX-S3000 is the only other thing that even comes close, but functionality wise it's a pretty substantial step down from the PX-5S and the PX-560 (which is why it's much cheaper).

The sound quality on the 560 and the PX-5S are comparable, considering they both run on the same AiR sound source and are capable of Hex Layer synthesis. If you want an in-depth review of the functionality of both boards, Mike Martin wrote up a detailed blog post about it here.

https://casiomusicgear.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/the-definitive-px-5s-vs-px-560-comparison/

I think pianomanchuck also has some excellent videos too. I have owned and played 1) Ensoniq TS-12, MR76, KS-32, Kurzweil Grand (digital) Generalmusic S3, KT-76 and Equinox, Yamaha SY77 (when it first came out) several Rolands, many of the older Korg DW6000/8000 DSS-1, Sequential circuits Pro-One (new) Hammonds, Wurlies, Fender Rhodes yeah I'm that old and all kinds of virtual machines. The more I play the PX560, the happier I get with it. I am hearing tones on this I thought I'd never hear anywhere else-including some ancient ARP, Seil and Crumar-and the closest I've heard to the Yamaha DX tine pianos without FM. Hex layers are fantastic, like the XW but sound somehow fuller and more intense, maybe just my perception. The key action is definitely a step above the CDPs and way above the older weighted keys I've played. I remember clearly auditioning the Roland RD series a few years ago and being amazed at how smooth this action was-closest to a real grand I'd ever played. The PX action reminds me of that. I have a few multi-tracks I posted here somewhere-a cover of Telstar (Ventures style) and "Red River Rock" by Johnny and the Hurricanes, done only with the PX 560-maybe not masterpieces but might give you an idea of what can be done with the PX560, in the wrong hands-mine.........:hitt: 

Here I found this....

Ah, Jokeyman123.... wow!

It's 1962, and on the cold and rocky coast of Nova Scotia there's a Canadian Radar Installation, part of the multinational Distant Early Warning (DEW) line.  The base has about 100 families; one of them, mine.  My father was in the services, and we were stationed there.  And I remember listening to his Grundig stereo, and a song came on... and I was totally captivated.  The song was 'Telstar', and I convinced my Mother to get a friend to make a trip into town to buy a copy.  It was the first record I ever purchased; I think it cost a buck, which was a big deal to a 6 year old kid in 1962.  But somehow, I came up with the cash and got a copy.  If I recall, the flip side was 'jungle fever' - not nearly as good a tune.  I think I wore that record out.

So, what a time trip to have you provide your very excellent cover of this, my very first record!  Thank you for that.

And thank you as well for the ringing endorsement of the PX-560.  I feel much better, having someone else - with loads of experience - endorse the instrument.  That was like a crisp, cold beer on a hot day; very relaxing, and I feel better now.  Thank you.

Chandler, thank you for the link to Mike's post.  I'll read it.  I will confess, I didn't do an in depth look at the PX-5S; I just sorta assumed that because the 560 was newer, it would be better.  I will definitely check it out.

Hi, Brad - PianoManChuck did a nice comparison of 560 and the 3000; I remember thinking that the 560 came out on top, features wise.  It seems to do a lot more, or at least offer more capability, than the 3000, which seems to be the winner if you're looking for an ultramodern look and style.  The 3000 offers a lot, but I think the 560 offers even more.

Well, I'm off to read about the 5S.  Thanks, everyone!  >Charlie

I've just reviewed Mike's post comparing the 560 and the 5S, and I feel the 560 is the right one for me.  In particular, having 220 built in rhythms with auto accompaniment is important to me, as is easy access to the transpose function.  I'm confused about the 560 not being a good controller keyboard - it has 5 pin DIN MIDI plugs, and i thought MIDI was a standard.  But the only other keyboard I own with 5 pin DIN MIDI is my Kurzweil K2000, so I guess I'll let it go.

So, that's it - I'm settled on the PX-560, more confidently than before.  Thanks, everyone!  >Charlie

• Like 1

Basically with the PX-5S you could have any of the four layers doing different midi things, assign the slider and knobs freely use the MIDI tempo sync, and program an arrpeggiator to send both note and controller informations. PX-5S is more a synthesizer to use with a DAW while the PX-560 is more an arranger.