Video Files on Forum ×

New to CT-X3000

PAULD

I used this forum five years ago and you folks were kind enough to get me started on the joy of playing my CTK-7200. Now after one week I find the learning curve on the CTX-3000 to be as steep. What I'd like to know is:

1) Get into the DSP and adjust all aspects of the rotary function and save those settings so that they apply to all tones that emulate a drawbar organ tone. Also save Chorus 2 to be applied to all organ tones as well or at least apply to tone 80 ElecOrg 3.

2) Have the sustain pedal used as a switch between fast and slow rotary speeds.

3) Save these setting so that when powered on the keyboard loads them automatically along with tone 80 ElecOrg 3.

4) Which combination of tones and effects can I set that could possibly make the 3000 sound like the baddest pipe organ it can be?

My many thanks in advance for any and all help, Paul

1) Edit the tone and save it as a user tone.  1:18 seconds into this video covers tone editing, which is where DSP editing occurs.  Each tone on the CT-X series can have several DSP modules at once, unlike the older CTK series, which didn't have modules.   Be sure to check for more than one module when editing a DSP effect.

2) Unfortunately on the CT-X series, a pedal can't be used to switch rotary speed.  For anyone reading this with a CT-X5000, the modulation button can be setup to control rotary speed.  On the 3000, go into tone editing to switch rotary speed.

3) Press function>cursor to OTHER>auto resume>turn this on.  You can also save your keyboard settings as a registration. 

4) Carefully adjusted DSP EQ and lots of reverb can do a great job of making a pipe organ tone sound big.

Check out the pinned posts in this forum section for more help resources, like the entire Casio global video series.  

On 5/30/2020 at 12:43 AM, PAULD said:

2) Have the sustain pedal used as a switch between fast and slow rotary speeds.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:53 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Unfortunately on the CT-X series, a pedal can't be used to switch rotary speed.  For anyone reading this with a CT-X5000, the modulation button can be setup to control rotary speed.  On the 3000, go into tone editing to switch rotary speed.

One potential workaround for this might be using Pedal Cycle (aka Registration Sequence). This allows you to cycle between Registrations in a bank using a sustain pedal attached to one of the two pedal jacks. See EN-70 in the manual for directions on how to assign it to one of the pedal jacks. Looks like you're already using an expression pedal for Pedal 2, so you'll want to assign Pedal Cycle to Pedal 1.

As Brad mentioned, you can dial in specific DSP settings (such as rotary speed) in the Tone Edit menu. So, first edit and save an organ tone with low rotary speed (we'll call it "Organ A"). Then duplicate that tone into another Empty Tone slot ("Organ B") using the Tone Copy function as described on page E-73 in the manual. Open up Organ B in the tone editor but ONLY change the rotary speed parameter, nothing else. Now you should have two nearly indentical organ tones in separate tone slots, with the only difference being rotary speed.

At this point configure any other parameters you want to have in your registrations (effects, tempo, rhythm selection etc). In your case, at least make sure Chorus 2 is selected before moving on. Now select Organ A as the tone assigned to Upper Layer 1 (U1). Hold Store and save a Registration in slots 1, 3, 5, and 7 within one bank by pressing those buttons while still holding down store.

Switch the tone assigned to U1 to Organ B. Be very careful not to change any other parameters. Now save a Registration in slots 2, 4, 6, and 8. Enable Pedal Cycle and you should be good to go.

Pedal Cycle advances to the next Registration in the bank every time you press the pedal, so if you've followed these instructions properly, you'll have the following sequence:

Reg 1: Organ A (Slow) -> Reg 2: Organ B (Fast) -> Reg 3: Organ A (Slow) -> Reg 4: Organ B (Fast) -> Reg 5: Organ A (Slow) -> Reg 6: Organ B (Fast) -> Reg 7: Organ A (Slow) -> Reg 8: Organ B (Fast)

When Pedal Cycle is enabled, pressing the pedal when Reg 8 is selected will loop back around to Reg 1 in the same bank. Thus, you will be able to cycle between fast and slow rotary speeds as much as you want with this method (hypothetically).

I'm out of town at the moment so I can't test this on my CT-X5000 right now but it should work. One limitation I can think of is that the speed change won't be gradual; it will either be fast or slow, and the transition between the two is instantaneous.

Also, depending on how the CT-X models handle tone switching, you might experience sustained notes being cut off when you make the transition between Registrations (I don't remember off the top of my head, and again, I can't test it myself right now). Test this solution for yourself and let me know if the note cut off is an issue or not. I have another idea for how you might get around the note cut off issue, but it's more complicated to set up so try this one first and let me know if it works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to circle back and say that my theory as far as using a pedal to change rotary speed with Reg Cycle doesn't work. There's no easy way to get a seamless transition back and forth between rotary speeds with Reg Cycle. Changing between organ tones with different DSP rotary settings is not at all smooth (none of my tricks or workarounds were able to get good results) so the only other option is to handle this with the Mod button settings. These aren't even available to Paul on his CT-X3000 so this is a moot point, but I just want to document this behavior for future reference.

Reg cycle ONLY results in a smooth rotary transition if two conditions are met:

1) The Registration you start in and the Registration you're switching to must have the Mod button configured exactly the same in terms of function, target, value etc. The only difference between the two Registrations is that your starting registration has the Mod button toggled off and the other Registration has it toggled on.

2) You're cycling from a Registration with the mod button off to a Registration with the mod button on.

Sadly, this pedal cycle smooth transition is a one time thing. If you try to transition out of the Registration where the Mod button is toggled on to one where it's toggled off or some other Mod button settings are changed, you'll get an interruption before the DSP settings reset.

OMG.  I mistakenly assumed it would be a little more straight forward than what was offered up.  Clearly Brad and Chandler are the experts on these things.  I appreciate all of their info but I think I'm over my head.  I'll just have to be satisfied with "make-do" functions.

I use a Line 6 Rotomachine pedal as a fairly inexpensive Leslie speaker simulator which gives you several settings for imitating several models of Leslie speaker combos-with 2 footswitches for fast/slow, on/off. Runs off a single 9v battery and 1/4" jacks in and out. works fine with my PX560 and other Casios I play.

There are several other leslie emulators such as the Neo Ventilator pedals, the Boss RT-20, Electroharmonix lester-G and others which are considerably more expensive and may sound better for serious studio work-but the Line 6 definitely steps up to a more pronounced Leslie effect IMO and is programmable for ramp speed up/down as well speed of the treble horns with a separate speed setting for the bass speaker, and 3 Leslie models. I picked up a used model in excellent condition for around 75.00 a few months ago. 

Right-I tried that with the PX560 line-in even though I knew it wasn't designed to work that way. Another solution if you have one and which I use-since i record pretty regularly-line out from the Line 6 to mixer or recorder, monitor through phones or portable powered speakers. Still doesn't solve the problem Brad describes above but at least I would guess this will separate the 2 tones-the processed and unprocessed? 

I bought my CTK-7200 five years ago chiefly due to a review that called it a "poor man's Hammond". I've enjoyed playing it every day and enjoyed making adjustments to all the effects available to the rotary speakers and drawbars. I truly appreciate all the work the members have done to give me a work around but I find it to complicated for me to put together so I am returning my CT-X3000 today and continue being a happy CTK-7200 player. Again my sincere thanks for all the input. Regards, Paul

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PAULD said:

I bought my CTK-7200 five years ago chiefly due to a review that called it a "poor man's Hammond". I've enjoyed playing it every day and enjoyed making adjustments to all the effects available to the rotary speakers and drawbars. I truly appreciate all the work the members have done to give me a work around but I find it to complicated for me to put together so I am returning my CT-X3000 today and continue being a happy CTK-7200 player. Again my sincere thanks for all the input. Regards, Paul

I would keep an eye out for an MZ-X500 or MZ-X300.  Those are Casio's best virtual tonewheel organ keyboards, and are super easy to use with the big color touchscreen.