Video Files on Forum ×

General questions about tone types and dsp etc

I am new to keyboards in general and I'm having a difficult time figuring out some of the features.  A little background - I have played piano before and own an acoustic piano but I wanted to start playing again after many years. I purchased a preowned Casio WK 3000 and I'm trying to learn how to get the most out of it with my limited experience with digital keyboards.  I've watched some youtube videos of other casio models and also I've studied the user manual.  What is the difference between preset tones, GM tones and synth pad tones1? What is DSP and how do I use it? Is there a way to use auto accompaniment without the drum sections automatically coming on?  I don't always need rhythm but I like the fullness and arpeggios that auto accompaniment adds when I use fingered chords and full range chord features.  I realize these are very basic but any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!  Let's get to right to it.....

Preset Tones - All tones that are preprogrammed from the factory.  User tones are not preset tones.

GM Tones - General MIDI tones.  Tones that adhere to the GM specification for use with MIDI files or other MIDI devices.

Synth Pad Tones 1 - Pad category of synthesizer tones.  Soft warm tones often used as an underlying layer of sound, padding the sound.  

DSP - Digital Signal Processing.  DSP creates effects like delays, distortion, EQ and more.  DSP is an effect that is preset for certain tones or can be used when creating your own user tones.

You can turn off the drum tracks using the mixer.  The WK-3000 manual will have instructions on using the mixer to turn off the drum parts.  

Hope this helps.  

Yes that did help.  So following up on what you said, I wouldn't be using midi files or other devices, so the gm tones would be extras for me I guess.  The synth pads should be used for layering then since they're for padding the sound, if I understand what you're saying.  The dsp light then would indicate there are dsp effects in that tone and if the light is off, or if I turn it off manually, the effects will be removed?  For the drum tracks to be removed, I would turn it off and then save that setup I guess in the registration.  Please correct me if I missed something,.  I am also not clear on how to save registrations.  Is the bank the only place? So I only have 32 possibilities? Or can I save them to the card, which I have, and then recall them if I run out of banks?  Thanks.

Yes, turning off the DSP light turns off the effects.  For the mixer parts on drums, I'm not sure if they will save as a registration on that model, but it's worth a try.  Yes, you have 32 locations arranged in banks to save registrations, hold the store button while pressing one of the registration buttons to save a setup.  Check your user manual on saving data to SD card.  That will allow you to save each registration bank as backup.