Video Files on Forum ×

Output signal to PA mixer low

Hi, help, TIAs!.  I'm sending the right output to our PA mixer and getting very low signal/volume.  What are the output levels on my 7200?  Do I need to to through a DI and go to a mic input?  Impedance matching?  Active or Passive? 

The left is going to my bass amp, and I've got the keyboard splits panned in the registrations.  Bass guitar on the left split, various other instruments on the right.  For the bass I'm also going to a mono mini-mixer with my bass guitar on another input, so I can balance them and switch back and forth freely.

Thanky knidly.

You are trying to use those outputs as though they were dual mono outputs, but they are not.  When there is a plug in the LEFT/MONO jack ONLY , then it outputs a combined L/R signal, but when there are plugs in both jacks, then each output is one side of a stereo pair.  The LEFT/MONO jack outputs only the LEFT Channel of a stereo pair and the RIGHT jack outputs only the RIGHT Channel of a stereo pair.  In that case, each of those jacks has very little of the opposite channel's signal.  The way you are using them, you are only going to have one-half the expected total signal power (L + R) for either side, and if you pan something the wrong (or opposite) way, you have next to nothing for that signal.  You can not use those outputs as signal splitters.  They were not designed for that.

• Like 1

I can verify T-at least with the Privias which have stereo line outputs-if I hard-pan any instrument or group of instruments left or right -the signal does sound like it significantly drops-relative to keeping signals center or near center. Oogie-try panning your signals a little less than hard pan completely left or right-this may bring the signal levels up a bit. This characteristic seems to be the way much of my music equipment works, mixers, recorders-must be a bit of a natural perception/audio illusion-similar to the bass boost/compensation needed by stereo equipment when listened to at lower levels-my older stereo amps have this bass boost compensation, but there is no "pan boost" I've ever come across. the signal is not electronically any less-but our ears must perceive panning differently-our ears are very directional-just try talking to someone who is deaf in one ear-I'm not but know people that are-and they cannot hear you if you talk on their deaf side-unless you speak loudly and even then its not good.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks, I'm understanding that basically when panned, I'm essentially only getting half the "sound"  (total signal) for each tone out to the respective amps.  (I do understand the non-linear relationship between signal strength and perceived end volume, no problem.)

That also probably explains why applying a chorus effect, which would go to both channels, results in an exaggerated volume boost.

I discussed this with our guitar player/mixer guy.  First we'll try using a -45 pan on the bass/left side and +45 on the right.  It's a zero-cost option; the range on this model is -64 to +64 of course.

This also explains the disparity between level settings on the bass side mini-mixer for the same apparent volume in the house; compared to everything going out the left/mono jack and only using the bass amp. Split like this, neither signal is that far from unity for it to be a problem.  As a fall-back, worst case I could still just send everything there, which is how I initially started out playing around with.  I've got enough power and the amp/cabs are transparent enough to get away with it.

Based on this information, the other alternative is an active volume pedal going over to the mixer, or a passive pedal and a pre-amp.  This would both allow raising the gain AND I'll have a volume control for the right side.  Hmmm, back in the old spinet organ days I'd have called it an expression pedal!  Isn't that swell?  😊

Thanks for the replies, guys; muchly appreciated.