Video Files on Forum ×

CTX 5000 white keys wear n tear

Shubhayu

I got my CTX 5000 (which is CTX 9000 in India) 7 months ago. The amount of usage I would term as 'low'.

However, I hear some teething/clacking sound from the white keys in the middle area (around the middle C). As if, the keys are loose and touching some surface. (either the neighbour key or something else) and making those sounds. The white keys at the far ends feel more firm. Also, no such observation for the Black keys. 

The intensity of the teething sound is such as if you're playing it at a low volume, say 30-40% you can't ignore noticing those teething/touching/clacking sounds.

I would like to know from others here that is this normal for CTX ? Or should I contact Casio, it's still under warranty, or does it even call for a warranty claim?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am also interested on this issue. I don't understand previous two videos, but I can guess a little bit the relate to the issue you mention.

I like CT-X5000 a lot and I want to buy it, but I am really worried about the quality of the keybed, and thinking about buying another keyboard.

It would be great to know from members owning a CT-X 5000 or 3000 for more than one year if this is a common issue or not.

Thanks.

Mine had that issue right in the shop. In fact, they had 3 units and all had same issue. So they gave me $50 discount :D Today or tomorrow I'll open it and will try to fix by myself. As I've determined, there are two styles of key noise - one when you press it, and one when you release it.

• Like 1

The 2 Youtube videos are very informative. Both are in the language 'Hindi'. I am from India and understand Hindi, let me give a very high level translation.

The 1st video, 'Review' one, points out the same issue. It says, after a year of usage some of the white keys make so much of noise that sometimes that noise dominates over the sound coming out from the speakers. And it says, that's the only and huge issue with Casio CTX series.

The 2nd video, 'Fixing' one, talks about how to fix the issue. The video is from a dealer of keyboards of different brands. He says, its due to structural issues how Casio keyboards are built. A particular side of the white keys touches the internal plastic structure, this is the side which faces the player, and it happens under the black cover (hump) where all the white icons/prints are there. It doesn't happen initially, but starts annoying after some time, and there is a reason behind that. 1) The design issue is anyway there, 2) He says, he found Casio uses poor quality of white grease inside the cover at that part where this friction happens. Over time, it accumulates dirt, and if you are from Tropical region (India) the grease starts melting. And as a result the plastic parts start hitting each other. He suggests Casio to start using better type of grease, Silicon grease. He also says that it can be fixed by opening it up, re-greasing it etc etc. However, he advises users to refrain from doing that unless one knows what he/she doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 8:23 AM, Just Alex said:

Mine had that issue right in the shop. In fact, they had 3 units and all had same issue. So they gave me $50 discount :D Today or tomorrow I'll open it and will try to fix by myself. As I've determined, there are two styles of key noise - one when you press it, and one when you release it.

Hello again Alex. I finally just received my brand new ct-x 5000 today and I m very happy, BUT I also have a clunky-noisy E key..Do you think I should send it back or try and open it? I watched the video above and it looks easy, but its on a ctk 7600 and the guy is not showing how he initially removed the grey cover. Athough I should feel comfortable opening it ,as I am a mechanical engineer 🤪, I feel very wary as always something may go wrong and break even something small , not important. Have you ever found anywhere a detailed video bout how to open the case and grease the 

This is happening for a simple reason, I've posted about this with other Casios, including the XW which has the same keybed design. no amount of keylube will fix this-the felt strips which cushion the keys as these strike the bottom, and return to the top and strike there on the rebound-get compressed or worn over time-and eventually you will hear the key hitting the plastic case underneath, although I have had no problem with the key return-this is probably due to the screws on top getting loose, which has already been clearly shown here. Loctite-for thread-locking screw threads will help to keep those screws from loosening again once you tighten these up, if you ind you need to. But the only solution for the loud clacking sound on hitting bottom-is to 1) remove the old felt completely, and replace it with new, thicker piano felt strips-very difficult as those factory strips are securely glued onto the case. OR... 2) put new felt directly over the old strip-using some type of adhesive that will not gum up the keys, and will keep the strips attached. I use piano felt strips roughly 1/4" wide by 1/32" thick-too thick will ruin the key response-and I attach this with double-sided "rug" tape.  OR-there are special insulating felt strips I found at the hardware store-a little thicker but have self-adhesive tape secured on one side-tricky to get this strip in place, then I peel off the tape backing to reveal the sticky part-press down with the keys or some other tool, and you will now have very quiet keys. As always-don't try this unless you have no warranty, and sufficient skills and patience to do this. Will take some work, and you may decide it's not worth it. Then again, as I see newer "budget" instruments-not just Casio-I am seeing if not identical keybed design, very close-to save weight I imagine, and it is easier and cheaper to manufacture. A sacrifice to make these instruments this affordable I suppose.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...