Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S350 key action

Jokeyman123

I have just studied pianomanchuck's excellent review of the CDP-S350. Apparently this has a very similar if not identical key action as the PX-S1000/3000 with the more compact fulcrum weighted action. If anyone else has played both this and the older PX's-the 350/360/560 etc or specifically the CDP-230/235/240-could you describe your experience-I have several Privias including the CDP-230R and would be interested in knowing how the CDP-350 action compares to this older 230 specifically-which I like, has a good balanced weight and key-throw action but I am thinking CDP-S350 for the improved sound samples. The older CDP-230 uses AHL, like the CTK6000-7000-7200-wk6500-6600-7500-7600 series. No flaming wars please, just the facts Jack!

If you're familiar with the CT-X series, you'll recognize the same sounds and rhythms in the CDP-S350. I often describe it as a CT-X with 88 weighted keys. Those weighted keys are great, but they are different than Casio's previous generations of weighted actions. I have the PX-S3000 and the PX-5S, so I should be able to talk about the differences, but I can't because I just play both of them. :D

Joe-do you feel any qualitative differences between the 2? Not interested in "flaming" derogatory comments-just a professional opinion re the 5s (same as my 350 and 560 I think) vs. the 3000 with the newer action. Considering possibly replacing the PX350 or the older CDP-230R with the S350. I have played a variety of acoustics over the years-and digitals-as long as the weight and  across the octaves is reasonably consistent-I find the other Casio Privias excellent in this regard for jazz, classical anything actually.  Thanks Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a complete beginner. I have a Yamaha 61 key keyboard,  but have already run into the difficulty of harder key presses near the fallboard & the problem of playing chords with black & white keys simultaneously because of differing weights (Can't play Bflat Major chord keys without unintended "grace notes.")  I'm female, mid-60s,  so maybe those of us with weaker, older  hands have difficulty with these things.  Anyway, I was thinking the CDP s350 would still be an improvement over my Yamaha, NP12, even though the CDP S line supposedly has the same issues.  Given my age & level, I have no illusions that I will ever play like James Pavel Shawcross, so of course I don't have the same keyboard needs.  But hand fatigue & arthritis irritation are real concerns. 

Is the CDP s350 key action a big step up from a typical 61 key keyboard?  Or only a little better?

ETA: getting to a store to testdrive these keyboards is difficult in my rural area.

Edited by Stepper
Edited for grammar

I don't think any 61-key keyboards are fully weighted to simulate the feel of a real acoustic piano. Models like the CDP-S350 are. Some of us prefer the feel of fully weighted digital keyboards for piano playing to that of unweighted or semi-weighted keyboards that your Yamaha probably has.

Do you ever get to play on a real acoustic piano, and if so, do you find it easier or more difficult than your keyboard?

Hi Joe. No, I don't have an acoustic piano to try. Nor will I ever own an acoustic -- too impractical at this stage of my life.  So it's not so much a desire to replicate the feel of a true piano, my concern is more about stresses on the hands, wrists, etc.

Yes, I'm paying attention to technique! But with my 61 key board, I still have to quit early so as not to have soreness. My problem is improving as I strengthen. I think a keyboard with better action or response would help, hence my interest in the cdp S350. (Plus it has a good range of cool effects & features.)

Kicking in one more time-important to use proper positioning re fingers, hands, wrists and arms with weighted keys-I am also somewhat not so young-but it is no more difficult now than it was when I started-but again, very important to play with proper positioning-especially-keep your wrists straight in relation to your forearms-not tense, but straight.  The number 1 cause of carpal tunnel syndrome-is constant stress with wrists flexed up or down-and even when typing or playing any instrument-why classical/jazz or other style players are so fussy about seat height. Study the best players on Youtube or elsewhere-watch how they sit-watch how they position their hands, arms, fingers. I play both weighted and unweighted keys-if done reasonably correctly-I think there is actually less stress on hands, wrists and arms with weighted keys-because there is a "rebound" effect of the weights which I find more forgiving than spring/nonweighted keys, as long as one doesn't "mash" down when the key hits bottom. Sort of like the difference between hitting a wooden board directly (spring action) and hitting a wooden board but with some give-as if it had a cushion under it. There is more resistance with a good weighted keyboard-but this IMO prevents me from slamming down on the key and hitting bottom harder. I have had no wrist, hand or arm problems with any of the Privias (CDP/PX's) as long as I am careful to play as I learned on acoustics-i was taught the same positioning as a kid when I first was taught professionally by my drum instructors-no bent wrists in relation to the arm, I am sure this is what prevented me from crippling myself over the years of gigs, teaching and causing other mayhem...

Sorry to butt in Joe, guess I can't stop being a teacher...but I'm trying!!!!

Jokeyman, thanks so much! Wonderful information, much appreciated.  Yes, I've been watching lots of videos of pianists, observing their sitting position, elbow height in relation to keyboard, hand & wrist motions. So playing piano is not like typing, where the fingers act like little pistons pressing on keys.  I can hardly wait to work in person with a teacher to smooth out the physical mistakes.

Lest anyone think I'm a frail granny, I'm a long time cyclist, work out regularly with a kettlebell trainer, take spin classes, & can still do push ups.  I knew there were a few aches in the hands lately, but was shocked how diving into learning piano set fingers, hands, wrists, elbows aflame. Mashing down on the keys several hours a day, no matter how much fun, taught me a lesson. 

Thank you again, Jokeyman, for your insights.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Stepper said:

Is the CDP s350 key action a big step up from a typical 61 key keyboard?  Or only a little better?

@Stepper If you're looking for a piano feel, the CDP-S350 will be much closer than most any 61-key keyboard out there. I've owned some high-priced Yamaha and Korg synths with really great-feeling keybeds, but they didn't feel like a piano because they weren't trying to. I've been an acoustic piano player and owner for decades, and I really enjoy playing my CDP-S350 and PX-S3000. I have owned and loved lots of Yamaha gear over the years, but the keybed on the NP series (aka Piaggero) is just terrible, so I wouldn't judge all shorter keyboards by your NP12. A few years back, I bought an NP32 for my daughter in college and regretted it. LOL, she's fine with it and still has it. I can play 5-hour gigs on a real piano or any of my own keyboards without fatigue. That NP32 feels so awful, I can't play it very long at all without discomfort, or extreme annoyance, not sure which. I'm sure you would find the CDP-S350 to be much more comfortable to play for extended periods than your NP12. It would be a massive upgrade in many ways.

• 4 months later...
On 7/26/2020 at 12:16 AM, Rod Tompkins said:

@Stepper If you're looking for a piano feel, the CDP-S350 will be much closer than most any 61-key keyboard out there. I've owned some high-priced Yamaha and Korg synths with really great-feeling keybeds, but they didn't feel like a piano because they weren't trying to. I've been an acoustic piano player and owner for decades, and I really enjoy playing my CDP-S350 and PX-S3000. I have owned and loved lots of Yamaha gear over the years, but the keybed on the NP series (aka Piaggero) is just terrible, so I wouldn't judge all shorter keyboards by your NP12. A few years back, I bought an NP32 for my daughter in college and regretted it. LOL, she's fine with it and still has it. I can play 5-hour gigs on a real piano or any of my own keyboards without fatigue. That NP32 feels so awful, I can't play it very long at all without discomfort, or extreme annoyance, not sure which. I'm sure you would find the CDP-S350 to be much more comfortable to play for extended periods than your NP12. It would be a massive upgrade in many ways.

Hi Rod, 

In term of touch,what's the differences feel for the touch of cdp-s350 and px3000? Is Cdp-s lighter? Other than weight, what's other differences? 

Interested to know as I'm comparing. Thank you.

The actions in the CDP-S350 and the PX-S3000 are very similar, but they aren't exactly the same., according to Casio. I've played both and I think I'd be happy with either as far as that. However, the piano modeling in the PX-S3000 is much more realistic and configurable. As primarily a pianist, I prefer it. OTOH, the CDP-S350 might be better as far as using the rhythms, tones, and those other features. Not that the PX-S3000 doesn't have many (most? all?) of those, but I feel like they're easier to use on the S350.

20 hours ago, Jessey11 said:

Hi Rod, 

In term of touch,what's the differences feel for the touch of cdp-s350 and px3000? Is Cdp-s lighter? Other than weight, what's other differences? 

Interested to know as I'm comparing. Thank you.

With the keyboard volume at zero they feel (and sound) identical. Casio does seem to describe them differently, but I believe they are mechanically the same.  Where the PX-S3000 shines is with its piano sounds and the responsiveness due to the software that translates what you play to the internal sounds. The difference is remarkable and changes the way it feels when you play. I don't feel or hear a difference when using either as a MIDI controller with Logic. The PX-S3000 can be set to transmit High-Resolution MIDI, but the CDP-S350 does not. I've done very brief experiments with HR-MIDI and PianoTeq, but I haven't formed an opinion yet. 

Other differences are that the speakers in the PX sound better, and it has 2 very useful controller knobs which are semi-programmable. Another plus of the 3000 is that you can control the balance of sounds in layers and splits. The lack of layer/split balance is is a real shortcoming and a deal-breaker for me with the CDP-S350 as a gig keyboard. If splits and layers are important to you, you should skip the CDP-S350 and go right for the PX-S3000. The CDP-S350 is otherwise a great value and a really fun instrument to play. Both keyboards seem to have the same selection of rhythms, and I agree with @Joe Muscara that they are easier to navigate on the CDP-S350. I love the data wheel on the CDP and wish the the PX had one. Surprisingly, the CDP-S350 can import new rhythms, but the PX-S3000 can't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 10:54 PM, Rod Tompkins said:

With the keyboard volume at zero they feel (and sound) identical. Casio does seem to describe them differently, but I believe they are mechanically the same.  Where the PX-S3000 shines is with its piano sounds and the responsiveness due to the software that translates what you play to the internal sounds. The difference is remarkable and changes the way it feels when you play. I don't feel or hear a difference when using either as a MIDI controller with Logic. The PX-S3000 can be set to transmit High-Resolution MIDI, but the CDP-S350 does not. I've done very brief experiments with HR-MIDI and PianoTeq, but I haven't formed an opinion yet. 

Other differences are that the speakers in the PX sound better, and it has 2 very useful controller knobs which are semi-programmable. Another plus of the 3000 is that you can control the balance of sounds in layers and splits. The lack of layer/split balance is is a real shortcoming and a deal-breaker for me with the CDP-S350 as a gig keyboard. If splits and layers are important to you, you should skip the CDP-S350 and go right for the PX-S3000. The CDP-S350 is otherwise a great value and a really fun instrument to play. Both keyboards seem to have the same selection of rhythms, and I agree with @Joe Muscara that they are easier to navigate on the CDP-S350. I love the data wheel on the CDP and wish the the PX had one. Surprisingly, the CDP-S350 can import new rhythms, but the PX-S3000 can't.

Hi Rod,

thanks for your beautiful explanation. It is very helpful for me. 

• Like 1