Video Files on Forum ×

Strings - Hard to EQ

DJ_Maridao

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for a better way to improve the tone 001 :StereoStrings in attempt to change the EQ, but with no success. As a reference I have using the app SampleTank for a long time and I love the strings that app offers as a instrument. But now that a have the PX-S3000 I really like to know from you if there is a specific kind of DSP (probably) to help me to controll de EQ. In other words, to "open" the sound, or better saying, to add more gain in the middle frequencies, attenuating the low frequencies too.

It seems that the tone was recording with a pre equalization too low for the middle frequencies and I feel the DSP that I tried does not bring me the results that I'm expected, having the SampleTank as a reference. Of course I will not achieve the same results, but the Strings from PX-S3000 needs a better EQ. One thing that I made it was the using of a knob to control de envelope and it's fine for me. Now I'm trying to better the EQ.

Any ideas to point me in right direction?

Thanks!

Press the function button until you get to the third row of controls, then tap "DSP". Use the +/- buttons to scroll through the first few DSP presets in the list. These are all different types of EQ presets.

Once you find an EQ preset that gets you close to the sound you want, you can tweak it by switching over to the knob assignment menu by tapping "Knob". The first item in the list should be Filter. Press - once to bring up knob assignment #14, "DSP Param". This will allow you to tweak the parameters of your chosen DSP effect using the two knobs over on the left.

In your case, these DSP parameters will affect your chosen EQ preset, allowing you to more precisely dial in an EQ you like using the preset as a jumping off point. The DSP parameter tweaks are not labeled, so you'll just have to try both of the knobs and listen closely to determine which part of the EQ curve each knob is controlling. There's only two knobs to choose from so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out with some quick experimentation, at least.

Once you have your EQ fully dialed in, I would suggest assigning the knob controls to something else (filter or modulation would be good for a strings patch, I think) so you don't worry about messing up your EQ by accidentally touching a knob. Just make sure you don't go back to the DSP menu and try changing to a different DSP effect, as this will completely undo all the fine tuning you did with your EQ on the strings. Stay within the knob menu, leave the DSP menu alone and you'll be fine.

After all that, I'd highly recommend saving this strings patch to a Registration so you can recall the new EQ settings and knob assignments quickly and easily later on down the line. Press the Function button to get to the bottom row, hold down Store and then tap one of the four numbered Registration slots. It will prompt you to save these settings as a Registration, so tap the + button to say yes and it will confirm the save. Now you can just recall the Registration in this slot any time you want to use your strings patch with custom EQ in the future.

• Like 2

Chandler,

I am going to use your method to tweak the piano sound. As remarkable as the preset pianos are for the price, I don't think they are bright enough.  I tried layering preset 1 and 2 and set knob one for layer balance and knob 2 for detuning. That helped a lot, along with some reverb, but I think most would not like the way the overtones of both sound clash with each other somewhat.

I want the treble range of the piano to "sing" like my grand piano does, and I do think it can happen somehow, at least to some extent. The treble is just dead in the presets. 

Here's another trick that might work-play with a resonance setting-if you can set one of the knobs to resonance-and then can also EQ to boost whatever frequencies you need-might bring a little more high end or presence to the strings-might do nothing but I have used resonance this way with certain tones-sometimes this effect reacts to a tone in ways you might not expect. I also found the "reflections" DSP seems to bring a little more life to certain sounds, but then this is the PX560, not the PX-S. 

On 8/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

Press the function button until you get to the third row of controls, then tap "DSP". Use the +/- buttons to scroll through the first few DSP presets in the list. These are all different types of EQ presets.

Once you find an EQ preset that gets you close to the sound you want, you can tweak it by switching over to the knob assignment menu by tapping "Knob". The first item in the list should be Filter. Press - once to bring up knob assignment #14, "DSP Param". This will allow you to tweak the parameters of your chosen DSP effect using the two knobs over on the left.

In your case, these DSP parameters will affect your chosen EQ preset, allowing you to more precisely dial in an EQ you like using the preset as a jumping off point. The DSP parameter tweaks are not labeled, so you'll just have to try both of the knobs and listen closely to determine which part of the EQ curve each knob is controlling. There's only two knobs to choose from so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out with some quick experimentation, at least.

Once you have your EQ fully dialed in, I would suggest assigning the knob controls to something else (filter or modulation would be good for a strings patch, I think) so you don't worry about messing up your EQ by accidentally touching a knob. Just make sure you don't go back to the DSP menu and try changing to a different DSP effect, as this will completely undo all the fine tuning you did with your EQ on the strings. Stay within the knob menu, leave the DSP menu alone and you'll be fine.

After all that, I'd highly recommend saving this strings patch to a Registration so you can recall the new EQ settings and knob assignments quickly and easily later on down the line. Press the Function button to get to the bottom row, hold down Store and then tap one of the four numbered Registration slots. It will prompt you to save these settings as a Registration, so tap the + button to say yes and it will confirm the save. Now you can just recall the Registration in this slot any time you want to use your strings patch with custom EQ in the future.

Hi!

Hum... It's true! the #14 DSP!!!!

Thanks, man! Now I have many possibilities to explore!

• 2 months later...

Hello guys!

I discovered something not very pleasant about the issue of equalization. Using the envelope knob I ended up with something scary ... For that I used the attack control (K1) at its highest possible value and adjusted the value of the release control (K2) to zero.

Playing note by note from note E4 to the octaves below it is possible to notice that the sound sample has a higher pitch mixed with the original sound. When a lower note is played, this sound is very noticeable and "spoils" the sound sample by mixing a frequency or timbre that most resembles an acoustic bass or something like that.

I don't know if other PX-S3000 users have noticed this. I will post a video with tests that I did on my DAW and I await your comment. The first four played have no release and no attack values.

P.S.: I'm very sorry about the hamming noise... I need to change my cables... 😕

Thanks!