Video Files on Forum ×

Casio Privia PX-5S, how to use as a midi controller for my external synths?

Zaytrius

Hello,

Between system settings and zone settings I could never get the px-5s to play, for example a Ju-06 with a direct midi connection. I have managed to play soft synths via usb no problem. I have midi cable cable no longer than 3 ft going out from the PX-5s,  that connects directly into the JU-06 Midi in port. I have set my PX-5s Basic Ch to 15 and device ID to 15. I have enabled my midi out to either be key or midi. The midi out is set to "ON". The JU-06 channel i have set for 15. AM I missing something? kinda disappointed😕. Thanks.

Hi Brad,

As simple as this may have been to advise, it sincerely means more to me than you know. I have many synths as seen in this picture. This simple advisory lead me into exploring the channel signal path thru my Arturia key step and into my Digitakt that connects into an 8 port midi-splitter to bridge all my synths together. The magic of all the channeling happens within the Digitakt. I have all synths assigned by their own unique channel and have them mapped out on the Digitakt tracks 9-15, mapping each channel/synth(instrument) to those tracks respectively. With the exception of an auto all channels send channel on the Digitakt (#16), which I've mapped to my Zone as 16, I am now able to fully play ALL of these synths individually by simply selecting any track 9-15 on my Digitakt, It's awesome.

The feel of this piano is like no other, to be able to play all my of synths on this keybed is heavenly. It truly is an amazing experience how this incredible feature does the world for me. The fact that you responded so quickly, to make this experience so complete for me, it's like getting a whole orchestra at finger tips. An overwhelming thank you and much respect to you. 

IMG_4270.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the keyboard on lower left? and so the Digitakt is being used as a midi router? Interesting...Could you explain the auto all channels function this-sounds like  a mid auto patch function that you can preset as one preset-to map each keyboard or module? Not to clear as to how this works, but interested  to know.

Awesome!  The PX-5S has the ability to send on up to 4 channels at once, any combination of channels you want, any key ranges, any combination of internal sounds and external, any combination of MIDI out and USB out, and can save all of these things as stage settings.  You can turn channels on and off with the sliders, adjust their volumes, filter cutoff, etc.  I'm sure you will come up with even more uses for the extensive MIDI controller abilities of the PX-5S.  

Hi Jokeyman123,

That is a Moog Sub-37. And yes, essentially it is acting as a midi router. The Digitakt is a fun complex little box used for sampling and sequencing, and so much more.  I believe you are correct in your ask! I've attached a picture of the Digitakt to show the specific set up of this channel. I'll attempt to explain but I don't know if I can do appropriate justice of how it automagically happens.  I want to assume that the AUTO channel is like an ALL channel, so if it receives ALL channels, when its programmed to receive ALL and send ALL... being that I set the 16 track on the Digitakt as an AUTO channel, that specific signal going to that Channel will always be an automatic all signal path, regardless if I have that track selected, meaning... if I press the # 15 on my Digitakt (which goes to my Ju-06) and I play a note on the Casio which I have configured for #16, the Casio sends the # 16 note signal to the Digitakt's Auto channel 16... and outputs it to whatever # i selected the Digitakt, which is 15. And viola! We hear the sound of my JU-06. It is indeed a routing logic being interpreted here, well said with that! I hope I explained this okay:-)

IMG_4271.thumb.jpg.5263878863fe96a3768b94fef696e433.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very cool! I've had a set very similar to this one of yours. I sold Minilogue and Volca, but I still have the Yamaha MG12 mixer, Roland TR, several pedals (besides Flashback Delay) and a Midi Solutions Midi Combo.

I made the investment in XW-G1 looking to use it within a midi chain, initially as the Master to control Behringer Pro1 and Roland SE Racks - I will still buy these ones.

But from what I've seen the PX-5S has even better parameters than the XW-P1 for midi hardware control itself - it seems that P1 is limited to one MIDI channel in all four zones...

I'll still test my G1 even when the Racks arrive. Until then I have a lot to study behind the ppq (pulse per quarter) of his sequencer, and the sampler user - my XW-G1 seems to serve more as a kind of your Elektron in the chain than a Master...

As the G1 is a synthesizer groove, I want to believe i can do the times of Privia, Arturia and Elektron of your set, though with much loss of the Digitakt as a router that has many advanced capabilities.

Great topic!

PS: Zaytrius, What did you miss about PX5S to put another controller (Keystep) right at the start?

Have you been using Privia's sliders to control all Slaves, or are you doing everything for the Yamaha mixer?