Compatible ipads for newest Midi designer app-2.0 pro?

I currently am not on the Apple platform and want to add that to my repertoire of computer headaches......🙃 having no experience with ipads and accompanying music software-but very familiar with Apple laptops and OS-I am not sure which generation(s) of ipads will work with the newest version of Midi Designer-I'm sure a new iPad will, but can't afford that, so looking at older iPads which will be much more affordable at least for me. I know the iPad mini is compatible with the original Midi Designer as per Mike Martin's demos, but not sure about the newest incarnation, and I'm pretty sure the iPads are fussy about which OS will work with which versions of some of the apps. another poster here is developing a Midi Designer template for the PX560-so i am thinking renewed interest in an iPad, and also for my XW. Although the Windows XW software front-end is useful, I believe Midi Designer can negotiate realtime changes which the Windows XW-P1 software won't. Thanks.

If you know the iOS (now iPadOS) requirements of the software you want to use, it shouldn't be too hard. Apple is pretty clear about what versions of iOS work on what models, and for the past few versions, I don't think older iPads have been cut off. IOW, the current version is 14, and I believe at least 13 and 12 worked on the same hardware. Since you're talking older iPads, they're probably all Lightning port since only some of this year's models use USB-C (prior to that I think it was only Pro models).

I looked over the Midi designer website, the developers aren't describing which iPads are compatible with the newest (or even original) versions of Midi designer. I don't want to drop $100-300 on an even used ipad and discover there are incompatibility issues. I will send them an email, see if they can fill me in. I just thought if someone here is up and running with Midi Designer already, i could get a firm OK to purchase the app and an iPad. For example-I just discovered the newest version of the laptop/desktop Apple OS is only 64-bit, so will not run older versions of Apple software-and having no experience with the ipad platform, not sure what works with what and if that is also true with the ipad apps.  Windows allows for installing a 32 or 64-bit version of Windows 7, which I needed to do with some of my older Windows music software.  and i would want to use the Midi Designer Pro 2.0.

My iPad Mini 2 is on iOS 12.4.8 and shows as "up to date".  It hasn't received any major updates for quite a while.  I'm pretty sure it's in the end of support phase.  MIDI Designer Pro 2 shows up in the app store for purchase on this iPad, however a banner notification says that iOS 13.2 or later is required.  iPad Mini 2 is getting pretty old now, and so is the 3. I would at least look for a 4.  It looks like the Mini 4 current version is iPad OS 14.  

So sounds like the mini is a better choice than the 9.7 iPads. I just spent quite awhile studying the history and specs of all generations of full-size ipads, minis and the Airs. Apparently not that much a difference re Airs and other types. Thanks Brad, and Joe. This is what a suspected and needed to know. The mini 4's seem more expensive but I'd rather be in business with the software for awhile. I'll keep looking. I registered on Media Designer's website today, will send some questions there. had no idea there were so many "panels" or templates that have been created-and am trying to help another poster here who is developing a template for the 560-not that its all that necessary but looks like he's trying to implement some real-time panels that would be a step up-real-time sliders for the hex layers for example, nice. With 6 different organ tones that could be brought in and out in a hex layer live, drawbar organ ala MZ-X500 and the XW-P1, very nice. it's still a work in progress. i'm a little behind the curve in respects to Apple platform, but thanks to these posts, maybe not for long. might as well, I've got every other ncomputer platform flying around the house, and haven't been too happy with Android midi development-there is some but not like Midi Designer.

Just got a response from Dan, developer at Midi designer, I asked for his recommendation for a compatible iPad for this newest generation of Midi designer. I think I have enough info from both you Brad and Joe to make a decision-but since even a used mini 4 is running around 200-300, want to be absolutely sure. Also see that after the mini 3 and the 9.7 iPads,the connector hardware went to the newer interface for our keys. Good that there are already so many valuable posts about interfacing-and i noticed the newer models have bluetooth, the older ones do not. Definitely going forward with this, just a matter of time.

• Like 1