Video Files on Forum ×

Using Knobs to live control rhythm speed

Giovanni

Hi everybody,

I wonder if it would be possible to live adjust the execution speed of any rithm using one of the two knobs.

That's in order to recreate the effect of a sudden rhythm acceleration that a lot of disco and techno piece of music have.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

That's a great question!  I don't recall reading about that feature in the documentation...  but it could be there and I just don't recall it.  What I do recall is that you can press and hold the TEMPO button and tap a tempo on the keys, but that could be difficult to do during a performance.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the tempo is stored as part of a registration, so if you had two registrations stored that were identical except for the tempo setting, you could switch back and forth at the tap of a button.

This is interesting.... the manual contains this description for the EXPRESSION/ASSIGNABLE jack:
"For connection of a separately available expression pedal, the included pedal (SP-3), or a separately available CASIO sustain pedal, selectable function (expression, master volume, tempo, layer balance, sustain (off, on), sostenuto (off, on), soft (off, on), arpeggio hold (off, on), play/stop, fill-in)"

That word "tempo" caught my eye...

Oh... look at page EN-9 in the manual... you can control the tempo with an expression pedal.  That's cool!

As I said... that's a great question!

Hi Patrick and hi everybody!

As you suggested, the expression pedal allows to control tempo of rhythm, but I found two main issues in order to obtain the result I was talking about:

1) that's everything but easy to push your foot with the right amount of pressure to achieve an effect that is minimally realistic,

2) the highest limit of tempo achievable via the expression pedal (ID255) is not enough to replicate the final part of a techno rhythm refrain.

Despite all, I think that control the tempo of rhythm via knobs would be a real useful function and could be a great add-on for potential buyers of the PX-S3000.

Could it be realized with a SW (USB) update? I don't know...but I do really hope so!

Does the CTX have midi clock in and out? If you have any controllers that vary the tempo with a pot controller or slider-like the MC-505 and RM1X which both have midi clock out and control tempo with a control knob-or even a DAW with midi clock out-you could easily program tempo changes-gradual or sudden with this type of control, or do this real time.  Not sure about pedal control though-i don't know if typical expression pedals have enough resolution to smoothly control tempos, never tried it.