Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 Midi Only controls the Piano Sound??

Justin Laluga

Bought the PX-S3000 almost a year ago. Still love it, still sounds Great! 

I just bought a midi host interface so i can control my PX-S3000 with the new Keystep 37 i just got. The keystep controls it fine. Prefect no latency or anything.

Only issue is that i can only control the piano sound through the midi from the keystep. If i change the sound on the PXS the keystep is still only controlling the piano sound. the sound will be changed on the Casio's keyboard but not through Midi. Any one have this issue before or know a solution? i have looked around in the manual and on google but i can't seem to find anything. Please help!! one of the main reasons i got the Keystep was to control all the sounds on PXS and use the arp, chord, and sequence features on the keystep.

The PX-S3000, and many other Casio models, has a 48 part multi-timbral sound engine.  MIDI IN does not share the same 16 parts that is used for upper and lower parts, rhythms, etc.  It uses another 16 parts shared only with the MIDI recorder on the PX-S3000.  This is why changes to upper 1 do not affect what you're hearing.  You can do one of two things.  You can have your external controller send bank and program change data to select tones (all of the needed data is in the appendix charts for the S3000), or you can use the MIDI recorder, track 1, to select tones for channel 1.  

thanks for the response Brad

I looked through the manual and a looked through the midi appendix chart but I am still not understanding how to be able to control whatever sound I want from the PX-S3000 with my keystep 37 controller. i tried selecting tone while in the midi record function and the controller is still only controlling the piano sound and not the selected tone. i  am sorry to be a pain in the you know what, but is there any further instructions you can provide? and just so we are not going back and forth for no reason, it is actually possible to be able to control any sound on the PSX3000 with a midi controller if i know the correct procedure?

• 2 months later...

If not too late, I have a similar situation. I want to upgrade to Logic Pro x in order to use the pxs3000 as a multitimbral sound engine (many sounds simultaneously). I think the demo songs are built that way. Is that possible, I haven’t seen any menus showing such procedure?

thanks!

Richard