Video Files on Forum ×

Preset Tone DSP Module Chart (PDF) ....that you can use in creating your User Tones

Mclandy

It took me a little while to figure out how this works, but essentially one of the "Items" you can configure when creating a new User Tone on the CT-X5000 is a DSP setup.  But you can't create them from scratch, you have to "copy" one that is already built into the system, and you can edit its internal parameters from there (maybe that's a feature available on Workstations?).   You can copy a DSP either from one of the built-in Tones (not all of them have a DSP, though), or from a set of 100 DSP "standard" setups (not associated with any Tone) that are outlined in the Appendix document.  But as you are trying to select a DSP to use, it's not always easy to tell what you're getting.  So just to have all the information in one place as a handy reference, I created this document that shows all of the possible DSPs you can copy into a new User Tone, and which DSP sub-Modules (up to 4) that each contains, and in what order.  For more information, see my additional notes on the last page of the document.  Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome!

Note: Updated PDF to include alternating shading in lines of table to make it more readable 11/30/2020 6:45PM EST

Another update to make some minor formatting improvements, and to better organize and word some of the notes at the end  12/1/ 2020 5:00PM EST

Casio CT-X5000 User Tone DSPs.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Brad Saucier changed the title to Preset Tone DSP Module Chart (PDF) ....that you can use in creating your User Tones
  • Brad Saucier pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Chandler Holloway said:

Incredible work! Thank you for sharing, and for taking the time to investigate this very useful information.

Forum users like you inspire me to work harder on my own projects. The CT-X models have so much power under the hood, I'm glad there are folks out there like me who like to dig in and push them to their limits.

Thanks, Chandler.  I'm not even sure how much "tweaking" I will do with User Tones, but maybe I'm just the kind of person who has a bug about missing details, and making sure I know how things work.  I realized another useful aspect of this document is being able to quickly reference which of the standard User Tones even have a DSP (if it's not in the list, it doesn't), and to see (hear?) how the designers used DSP Modules to create specific Tone characteristics.  I do still have some questions about the fact that there are things like Vibrato, Reverb, Chorus, and Delay in both the standard Tone Edit Item list, as well as in DSP Modules - so is it a good idea to only use one or the other?  And where do the Tone Edit Items fit in the "sequence chain" of effects (that is, are they applied before, or after, the DSP effects)?   I would guess before.

On the other hand, I shouldn't let details get in the way of having fun playing! 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 12:17 AM, Mclandy said:

It took me a little while to figure out how this works, but essentially one of the "Items" you can configure when creating a new User Tone on the CT-X5000 is a DSP setup.  But you can't create them from scratch, you have to "copy" one that is already built into the system, and you can edit its internal parameters from there (maybe that's a feature available on Workstations?).   You can copy a DSP either from one of the built-in Tones (not all of them have a DSP, though), or from a set of 100 DSP "standard" setups (not associated with any Tone) that are outlined in the Appendix document.  But as you are trying to select a DSP to use, it's not always easy to tell what you're getting.  So just to have all the information in one place as a handy reference, I created this document that shows all of the possible DSPs you can copy into a new User Tone, and which DSP sub-Modules (up to 4) that each contains, and in what order.  For more information, see my additional notes on the last page of the document.  Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome!

Note: Updated PDF to include alternating shading in lines of table to make it more readable 11/30/2020 6:45PM EST

Another update to make some minor formatting improvements, and to better organize and word some of the notes at the end  12/1/ 2020 5:00PM EST

Casio CT-X5000 User Tone DSPs.pdf 56.18 kB · 44 downloads

Wow! Great work man. Really, really thank you for this !!🙂

On 11/30/2020 at 11:17 PM, Mclandy said:

Casio CT-X5000 User Tone DSPs.pdf 56.18 kB · 112 downloads

Hi Mclandy, 

I’ve just seen ur work on PDF and about your Table im trying tonunderstand how’it works but got some questions

If i understand, on left column is the List of Tones, then on the Row are the 28 DSP Effects, right ?

Also, i got it that each Tone has its own related DSP.

But i dont understand why are 1-4 scattered around, and few 1,2 also...

What are those numbers ? Is that the Preferred Value that you should Set for the Perfect Match or is it the Default in-built Setup ?

Could u clarify me how it works ?

Thanks

A DSP consists of up to 4 effects "Modules" linked in a serial "chain", where the output of one module becomes the input to the next.  So, for example, a DSP for a guitar sound might consist of a "Drive" effect connected to a "Compressor" effect connected to an "Amp" effect connected to a "Delay" effect.   But a DSP can be anything from 1 to 4 modules, and the chain sequence is important because you can get a different effect using exactly the same modules in a different order.  Some DSPs even use the same kind of module more than once. However, the keyboard doesn't allow you to build arbitrary DSPs from scratch, you have to start from an existing DSP definition.  The number and order of the modules in each DSP is fixed, but you can modify the parameters of each module (see DSP Effect List on page 132 in the manual).

In the Appendix document, they have a listing of "preset" DSPs 801 through 900, which you can use in a tone that you are editing, and it lists the modules in each.  But in addition, many of the keyboard built-in Tones use DSPs, and you can select one of those Tones (1-800) to use that Tone's DSP for your tone editing.  Note that not all keyboard Tones have a DSP, but the Tone List in the Appendix indicates which ones do.  However, the module makeup of those "built-in Tone" DSPs is not documented anywhere, so that's what this document is.   The numbers 1 through 4 simply show the position in the chain of each module.

By the way, most of this is explained clearly in the notes at the bottom of the table.  Did you read it?

Edited by Mclandy

On 12/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, Mclandy said:

A DSP consists of up to 4 effects "Modules" linked in a serial "chain", where the output of one module becomes the input to the next.  So, for example, a DSP for a guitar sound might consist of a "Drive" effect connected to a "Compressor" effect connected to an "Amp" effect connected to a "Delay" effect.   But a DSP can be anything from 1 to 4 modules, and the chain sequence is important because you can get a different effect using exactly the same modules in a different order.  Some DSPs even use the same kind of module more than once. However, the keyboard doesn't allow you to build arbitrary DSPs from scratch, you have to start from an existing DSP definition.  The number and order of the modules in each DSP is fixed, but you can modify the parameters of each module (see DSP Effect List on page 132 in the manual).

In the Appendix document, they have a listing of "preset" DSPs 801 through 900, which you can use in a tone that you are editing, and it lists the modules in each.  But in addition, many of the keyboard built-in Tones use DSPs, and you can select one of those Tones (1-800) to use that Tone's DSP for your tone editing.  Note that not all keyboard Tones have a DSP, but the Tone List in the Appendix indicates which ones do.  However, the module makeup of those "built-in Tone" DSPs is not documented anywhere, so that's what this document is.   The numbers 1 through 4 simply show the position in the chain of each module.

By the way, most of this is explained clearly in the notes at the bottom of the table.  Did you read it?

Oof ! Thanks too much for ur instructive explanation that i had tonread couple’of times to understand your technical litteracy and specially your hand-Notes on last page...was tired, eye 0bm on top of it...so, while Reading, my eyes saw what they wanted to see...therefore, i’skipped many things lNvm, its’just’me, i appologize to u for re-explaining the whole thing again. But this’time, i’don’t know, it came out clearier and understood everything.

Ok, your Pdf’with Tables, shows in term of "values", the positions within the chain and’ofc the Appendix shows you the Tone’s list’with its specific DSP applied to it.

Ok, u’gave me a great Guitar example w(which im clueless in knowledge), but for any other instrument (-piano, vocal, PADS), how do u know which DSP and how many DSP u need ?

Anyway, thanks’for your patience and effort,’i really’do appreciate’it and again, im’kijdnof’Guilty’if’i turned out’to be "difficult", but it’isnt my’fault’ life’s like this, and i wouldnt bothered u if i had’perfect’vision and a great Compositor like’Hans Zimmer...other wayanyway, hope u understand me

Edited by FlashyEagle8