Video Files on Forum ×

comparing px-780 and px-870

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anything was updated from the px-780 to the newer px-870.  According to Wikipedia, they are the same generation.  From what I have read, the action, key texture, and the sound engine are the same.  Are the piano voices different or improved?  I know the px-870 has higher polyphony, but otherwise would there be a reason to choose the new 870 over the 780 which has many more voices, some accompaniments, and line out?

TIA!

Basically, PX-870 improves and focuses more on the grand piano experience, with an improved piano sound engine and speaker system.  PX-870 also adds the ability to connect to the app "Chordana Play for Piano" remote control feature, to aid with control of piano settings.

https://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/privia-series/px-870

Thanks Brad,

I'm new to digital piano's so pardon if my vocabulary isn't perfect.

It's a little confusing since the 870 and 780 specs say they use the same sound engine.  I'm guessing there are other factors that were updated like maybe the samples for the piano voice?  Also, Casio's model numbers are also very confusing.  It seems the 770 is very similar to the 870, and both came out about 2 years ago.  However, the 780 came out in 2013, long before the 770? I wonder why they decided to jump around like this. 

I'm also curious if the simulated ivory textures are the same between the 780 and the 870.  I'm going to try to check them out in person if possible, though it could be challenging.

I think App connectivity will be important in the future.  Reviews are very bad, however, for just about all piano apps made by manufacturer.  It seems like Roland suffers the most from this, as many of their lower models rely on the app for additional voices and sound recording.  I guess +1 for digital pianos with onboard features for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brad,

Thanks again for the insight.  Do you know, or anyone reading this :), is there a resource to understand which models are newer in the Cerlviano product line?  For instance, this wiki page was helpful to understand which Casio Privia models were newer and had updated piano samples.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privia

Also, off hand, do you know if there is an updated model in the Privia or Cerlviano line with many voices like the px-780 and 17 track midi recording?  ap-650 seems same generation as px-780 from date on reviews I found.  I could not find the release date of the ap-710, but this seems about 1K over my budget anyway.  Any other options?

TIA!